cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How thick is the roof on Lance 815? Blueprint + wiring diag?

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to screw down a couple Renogy 100w solar panels with the standard z-brackets, but I'd prefer to screw into a crossmember if at all possible- does anyone have a structural blueprint of the frame on this model (2001)? I'm also looking for a wiring diagram as I'm relocating the battery compartment and possibly changing out the converter (oy, I may be pushing my luck for one thread here).

And, what is the thickness of the roof material? Is it just plywood underneath the aluminum roof? How thick is that? Is there any wiring running the length of the middle of the roof besides for the lights? Trying to figure out the best way of going about this. Screw type suggestions also welcome. I'll plan to put some Dicor sealant over each bracket mount afterwards. Thanks!
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread
6 REPLIES 6

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
Btw, I dug around the converter box, its manual, and am now reviewing the Lance owners manual as well. I won't be changing it out, but my solar and battery bank system with inverter that I'm building will be entirely independent from this factory system. Redundancy, safer, easier, reliable... I put a good new battery back in the normal compartment (tested it, then left it disconnected again as the rig sits most of the time).
'The TerraShuttle'
1993 Chevrolet Silverado K3500 6.5L mechanically-injected turbo-diesel 4x4 quad-cab SRW long-bed, Olympic White, 278k miles, 2001 Lance 815 self-contained TC rig

My build thread

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
cewillis wrote:
A standard stud finder found the cross members in my aluminum framed roof.

Great thought- I just went and tried it. The whole roof is a stud! 😉 I suspect this works great with fiberglass and rubber roofs, but not aluminum like mine.

edit: just saw yours is aluminum too. maybe it's the cheap-o Stanley finder I have or the roof thickness...
'The TerraShuttle'

My build thread

Sentinelist
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2 wrote:
My Lance 815 (2002), one 85 watt solar panel. The aluminum roof is fairly thick and screws hold very well.

I had this one installed, they used L-bracket screwed to the roof and sealed the screws.

Thanks! I think that's what I'm going to do- I just won't use long screws.
'The TerraShuttle'

My build thread

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
A standard stud finder found the cross members in my aluminum framed roof.
Cal

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
My Lance 815 (2002), one 85 watt solar panel. The aluminum roof is fairly thick and screws hold very well.

I had this one installed, they used L-bracket screwed to the roof and sealed the screws.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

petoworx
Explorer
Explorer
hello sen, ive been trying to get prints for my 2006 lance, ive e mailed lance and am awaiting repy, i could find nothing online also,i just tried lance owners group and and got some good info there! good luck and let us know how you make out, pete