cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to refinish window rock guard?

vanmil58
Explorer
Explorer
So my '91 Wilderness travel trailer has a front window rock guard that is a thin fiberglass panel and is getting "fuzzy" with fiberglass strands appearing on the flat surface and it sometimes will get a little mossy from moss attaching to the strands. Other than that, it's in very good condition.

I'm thinking to coat it with either spray-on polyurethane or with 2-part fiberglass resin.

Does anyone have any experience fixing their rock guard and if so, what did you use and how well did it work.

Thanks in advance!!!
11 REPLIES 11

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
Why not a sand job and some gel coat? You might want to take it in to a boat or RV repair shop with the necessary materials so you don't have to buy a spray gun but that would be the correct repair.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
If it's translucent, and you want the bit of light which gets through, you may want to avoid pigmented paint, which is going to make it darker. If the existing color is good and not stained/yellowed, I'd go with a quality clearcoat. Three coats, wet sanding between (to get the fiberglass fuzzies off).

If you don't care about the translucency, a good boat paint will last a long time. I like Interlux stuff, but there are lots to choose from.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
What about a piece of plywood or sheet metal? Can't be too expensive.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Most of them come apart, so I would buy a piece of plexiglas and simply replace the old fiberglas with it.

Nope, "most" do not "come apart".

"Most" have a aluminum frame that goes around the fiberglass insert and it IS RIVETED or WELDED together.

One MUST cut, grind or drill the rivets or if welded cut the frame then come up with a away to piece it back together.

They are not designed to come apart easily.

I would also SKIP the "plexy" as it does not give ANY impact resistance and your cheapness may end up spending a bunch of money on new window glass that the cover was supposed to protect.

The OP just needs to simply resurface the existing fiberglass by sanding then priming then a splash of paint.

Easy to do and a quick weekend project for the price of a few sheets of sandpaper and a couple of rattle cans.

IF the material was beyond refurbishing, I would suggest using FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panels) material, you can find it at most home centers in a 4x8 foot sheet for under $30.. But you will need to give it a coat of paint or the fibers will eventually show.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Below is the only pic of have of the front of my 1981 Prowler taken in 2007 after I had painted the rock shield probably 3 times over that 26 year period using regular outdoor Rustoleum enamel and sometimes I spray coated a light coat of marine varnish over the enamel to make it last a little longer. IIRC I had to repaint about every 6 or 7 years with the first painting after around 15 years. I simply used a brush and went over the existing design and first sort of lightly sanded the surface. I also had fiberglass strands showing before painting and all that wear I attritubed to wind wear over the years. Note the right side of pic is just from the sun glare when the photo was taken and not from fading/wear.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I want to keep it looking stock.."

Otherwise you will be required to race it in the modified class.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the frame, they are usually either screwed or pop riveted at two corners. Take it apart. Then you can buy a piece of plastic or a sheet of fiberglas to replace the worn out piece. It aint rocket science and replacing it with a new piece is probably going to be cheaper, easier in the long run. A nice smoked piece of plexiglas would look good. Add a graphic of some sort and it could look better. Heck, Airstreams have used plexiglas on their front rock guard for years.

vanmil58
Explorer
Explorer
It's 26 years old and still in great shape other than the strands.

vanmil58
Explorer
Explorer
I want to keep it looking stock.....I wonder if spray acrylic laquer would do the trick.

vanmil58
Explorer
Explorer
Most of them come what???

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of them come apart, so I would buy a piece of plexiglas and simply replace the old fiberglas with it.