cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub question

todde278
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 2015 coleman 314bhs camper this past may. We have only been on 2 trips with it for a total of probably 600 miles. I have noticed what appears to be a small amount of oil coming from both hubs on the drivers side when it is sitting. When we drive it there is oil streaking across the rims.

After reading about hubs getting hot i took my infrared thermometer with us this trip. We traveled from colorado springs to buena vista where we stopped for a break. I took the temps of all the wheels near the lug nuts. The wheels on the passenger side were both around 100 degrees. The wheels on the drivers side were bith in the 130 range. Definately hotter.

I cleaned the wheels of the oil but when we got home it had streaked back out. Im not sure if its brake heat related as my truck has an exhaust brake so i dont use the trailer brakes as much.

Is this something to be worried about?

I also noticed that raising and lowering the tongue jack on my camper i hear popping noises coming from the suspension area. I took a quick look underneath and noticed the shackles have space in between them and the springs. I will get in there with a wrench and scheck everything in the next day or two but was looking for any thoughts about these 2 issues?

Thanks
Todd
3 REPLIES 3

todde278
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I will pull the drums and inspect since dealing with camping world is not a pleasant experience. I hadnt thought of a seal being bad since its new. It does have grease zerts on the front of the hubs but from what i have read they are basically useless.

A buddy of mine has a new winnebago trailer and he said on his last trip the wheels on his passenger side were noticeably warmer than the passenger side wheels. He turned down the gain on his brake controller and said it seemed to be the same temp afterwards. Perhaps i need to check the brake adjustment as well.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had this happen on a previous TT under a year old. Turned out to be grease seal failure and all 4 wheels had to be completely rebuilt. Done under warranty but not without a fight. The brakes never did seem right from day one. All 4 drums were warped too.

Better get it looked at pdq.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to remove the hubs and drums for inspection, at a minimum. It's possible that you may have a grease seal failure. This will cause the "oil" to be deposited on the rim and also the brake drums.

IMO, every owner should have the hubs removed for inspection, repacking of the bearings, and adjustment of the brakes of any new trailer. There are many posts on the Forum of problems with hubs/drums straight off the dealer's lot. This is an easy maintenance item and typical owners should have the tools necessary to accomplish the tasks. Alternatively, it is priced low enough at a shop that it doesn't need to be avoided.

Standard leaf springs have clearances involved, allows the springs to move a small bit. YMMV.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton