cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm new! Bought a 1983 Lionel pop-up

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I'm new to owning a trailer and to this forum. I bought a 1983 Lionel pop-up that is in amazing condition but it needs to be renovated. I would post pics but it's not giving me an option to upload pics which is strange...

I've been camping 3-6 times a year for my entire life for a period of between 3-14 days each time. We got tired of constantly dealing with tarps and tents so we bought an old trailer to make our own.

We plan on replacing the mattresses, replacing the kitchenette cushions, replacing all the textiles (covers, blinds, privacy separators), replacing the flooring, refinishing the cabinetry, and installing LED lights on the inside.

My first question is about the d****s. I'm looking to order snap tape (this is what my mother has told me it's called) and new snap carriers (the old ones are really yellowed, I can bleach them but I'd prefer to replace them). Does anyone know where I can order that online where they'll ship to Canada? I've found them online but not at sites that will ship to Canada.
14 REPLIES 14

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
@bondedbond

Thanks! I'm actually going to start a new thread now about my on-going renovations. I started this past weekend. I actually use the trailer for the first this upcoming weekend. Heading to Awenda Provincial Park. After that the real renos begin 🙂

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine why you would want to replace the drap&#101s. They scream 70's even though it's an '83 model. I'm glad you found a source for the snap tape. Sometimes, just knowing the right term to search for makes ALL the difference in the world. I'm only recently getting into machine sewing and am finding out quickly that the kind of stuff I want to do out in the shop requires an industrial machine. I have my eye on a Sailrite LSZ-1 that might be strong enough. The great thing is you can sew right through that snap tape with a home machine just fine.

That PUP looks great, at least from the images. I am in the process of removing the factory vinyl striping. I finally broke down and bought a heat gun and that made a huge difference. I'm still deciding on what to put back on.

Good luck with it and keep us up to date on the freshening up of that gem.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Glad you found a Canadian vendor for the snap tape.

We heard about the kleenex-box test when we were researching A-liners.

I hope you'll post photos of your updates. It's a very cool camper. (You're not going to paint over the "Lionel" on the door though, are you?)

I'm not 100% decided on if it will be repainted or not. The decals are all looking pretty bad and are peeling. If I do repaint it I'd try to make a vinyl with the same font that says Lionel on it. I doubt I can buy an exact replica anymore.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you found a Canadian vendor for the snap tape.

We heard about the kleenex-box test when we were researching A-liners.

I hope you'll post photos of your updates. It's a very cool camper. (You're not going to paint over the "Lionel" on the door though, are you?)
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
That's a cool trailer. Best of luck getting it back on the road!
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
That is in amazing shape! Thanks for sharing your photos.

Are you talking about snap tape like this with just the male/outtie side of the snap? Or the male-female kind?

I ended up finding a place to order it in Canada! It didn't show up in the first few searches I did. Here are the links:

Snap Tape

Snap Carrier

The memory foam mattress also came in last night but I'm worried it might be too thick? Here's the mattress I got:

Memory Foam Mattress (if you're prompted for a province select Ontario)

I'll have to put a Kleenex box on the bed platform, close the camper, and see how much it squishes to know how much room I have to work with thickness wise. The mattress with cover that is in the camper now is 2 7/8" thick so I figured a 3" thick memory foam mattress would be okay? I'm hoping it's okay. I'll be putting a mattress cover on it (like this) and a sheet on it. I also want to put mats under the mattresses to protect it from the bed platform and to provide some extra cushion and warmth (like this).

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
That is in amazing shape! Thanks for sharing your photos.

Are you talking about snap tape like this with just the male/outtie side of the snap? Or the male-female kind?
It's his Super Power!

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
I uploaded an album of before photos: http://imgur.com/a/kvfwj

I'm going to be re-painting the outside of the trailer as well. I'm also replacing the rims and tires.

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
Congrats on your new camper. Would really like to photos.

I'll upload them to Imgur or something like that when I get home. Thanks! I'm used to being to upload photos within a forum and not having to use a third-party app.

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Welcome! The forum also has automatic filters that replace SOME dirty words with asterisks -- including parts of perfectly normal words. If you are wondering how that happened :).

I was wondering what that was! I distinctly remember typing in d-r-a-p-e-s but thought to myself, "did I seriously accidentally type in the slang word for the male member?" I thought I had a bad Freudian slip there!

sbstryker
Explorer
Explorer
Hondavalk wrote:
Did you try Amazon.com

Amazon.ca doesn't carry them (we only have 10% of what the US can buy) and Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada (requires a US address and a credit card with a US billing address).

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new camper. Would really like to see photos.
It's his Super Power!

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

You can find directions on posting photos in the Forum Technical Support section. You have to upload them elsewhere and then link to them. I love older units and am eager to see your pictures!

The forum also has automatic filters that replace SOME dirty words with asterisks -- including parts of perfectly normal words. If you are wondering how that happened :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you try Amazon.com