cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I want to soften the suspension on my Tow Rig?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my Tow rig ( 1997 Dodge RAM 3500 Dually ) it seemed very stiff & then we put the truck camper in its bed & that was what it needed it was a much nicer ride with the camper in there.

But I sold that & now I'm towing a travel trailer with an empty bed & the wife hates it!
I must admit its VERY STIFF!
Its a work truck suspension & being all the miles we have already towed our new trailer ( About 2000 miles on our very 1st trip ) we both can agree it would be nice to soften up the ride a bit.

My 1st thought was Shocks?

What are your thoughts?

I have disengaged the awesome lower Stable Loads I have from TorkLift before our trip.

Would shocks alone make much of a difference?
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
54 REPLIES 54

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FISH, what the he!! ? Bilstein's are foreign owned!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Reduce air pressure improves ride a bit but increases wear rate"

FISH this time you are way out in left field with that comment!!! Using weight/inflation chart to set PROPER air pressure will NOT increase tire wear!

On my 2500 4x4 RAM I could easily get 100K out of BFG's and 120K from Michelin's by reducing air pressures based on load.

Anyone who pulls some weight would be hard pressed to get 100k-120k miles on a set of tires.

Probably a figment of your imagination.

Never said I was pulling a lot of weight. It was while I was commuting while in Construction.

But your comment was simply wrong. Don't try to deflect!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

FISH this time you are way out in left field with that comment!!! Using weight/inflation chart to set PROPER air pressure will NOT increase tire wear!

On my 2500 4x4 RAM I could easily get 100K out of BFG's and 120K from Michelin's by reducing air pressures based on load.

Anyone who pulls some weight would be hard pressed to get 100k-120k miles on a set of tires.

Probably a figment of your imagination.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I think Rancho's quality is not the same as it was when your purchased your set.

https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS9000XL-Shock-2005-2016-Super/dp/B01LRJ6ZUG/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&i...

All of those reviews are most likely new installs. I agree with most of them when new, but disagree after 15k miles of use.

Well I will give you a report over the next few years as a set are going to go on our 2015 this summer. We are not going to tow the 5th wheel back to Arizona this winter, so what to be able to soften the ride for the bobtail run South.

BTW

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY (limited to qualifying Ranchoยฎ products only)*
Tenneco warrants qualifying Ranchoยฎ products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY QUALIFYING PRODUCTS:
Ranchoยฎ quickLIFTโ„ข
Ranchoยฎ RS9000XLโ„ข Shock Absorbers
Ranchoยฎ RS7000MTโ„ข Monotube Shock Absorbers
Ranchoยฎ RS5000โ„ข Shock Absorbers
Ranchoยฎ RS5000Xโ„ข Shock Absorbers
Ranchoยฎ Light Truck Suspension Components

Chris

It doesn't make sense to remove a set of shocks just to replace them with another sub par set of shocks. The miles I put on per year I would be changing out shocks twice a year.

I need a new set of shocks so I've decided on the Bilsteins.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I think Rancho's quality is not the same as it was when your purchased your set.

https://www.amazon.com/Rancho-RS9000XL-Shock-2005-2016-Super/dp/B01LRJ6ZUG/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&i...

All of those reviews are most likely new installs. I agree with most of them when new, but disagree after 15k miles of use.

Well I will give you a report over the next few years as a set are going to go on our 2015 this summer. We are not going to tow the 5th wheel back to Arizona this winter, so what to be able to soften the ride for the bobtail run South.

BTW

Tenneco warrants qualifying Ranchoยฎ products against defects in materials or workmanship (except finish) when used under normal operating conditions for as long as the products are installed on, and the original purchaser owns, the original vehicle on which they were installed.

Ranchoยฎ quickLIFTโ„ข

Chris

I`ve got a set of the 9000`s. I`ve had them for almost 40k miles. they still work great! I`ve had them on other vehicles too without problems. I`m very happy with them.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

BTW

Ranchoยฎ quickLIFTโ„ข

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Might want to swap it for a much newer 2500 with coil rear suspension. That will give you the soft ride.

You buying it for him or what?

LOL!!!
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Questionable:

Rancho 9000's are absolute junk

Had them on our 2001.5 for over 10 years and they were still preforming the same as the day I put them on when I sold the truck. What is your experience with them that leads you to state they are junk? Chris

About 15k miles on a set and they were shot. Also I've been reading similar reports that these shocks just don't hold up to heavy duty applications.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Questionable:

Had them on our 2001.5 for over 10 years and they were still preforming the same as the day I put them on when I sold the truck. What is your experience with them that leads you to state they are junk? Chris

Because we are talking putting them on a Ram! :S
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

Questionable:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Give ib516 a couple of your springs! He's looking for more of them, you are trying to get rid of some! Win-win!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Improve Ride:

Dump the coil over shocks

Sulastic Springs will improve ride Link

Add a Ranch Hand bumper. Expensive upgrade but the added weight helps improve the ride.

Questionable:

Reduce air pressure improves ride a bit but increases wear rate