cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ice House

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This last week in South Dakota, we camped across the road from a family that had an "Ice House" travel trailer. The unit was mysteriously awesome! I'd never seen anything like it before.

Evidently, they are quite common in the Northern States, specifically Minnesota, North Dakota.

I think a camper like this would take care of one issues we, with traditional trailers, face all the time ... trailer shake.

Ice House trailers lower directly to the ground. No jacks, no nothing, just lower, made to sit on the ice. Then the trap doors in the floor allow for fishing through the ice.

What a novel idea! No steps and no stabilizer jacks.

I had to look this up on the internet and here's their web site: Glacier Ice House

Actually, these are quite attractive trailers.

Here's a link to some internet photos (Google type search): Click here.

Looks like they come in 5er versions, single axle,up to triple axle. Where have these little hidden gems been all my life!

And... the guy I talked to across the road from us said, you can camp in them in the upright position too. Just imagine the fun the grand kids could have crawling in and out of all those trap doors in the floor!
15 REPLIES 15

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen them around here in Southern MN. They do look neat.

They are a fairly new thing and used ones are not that easy to find, yet.

As for going through the ice ? In Northern MN they used to build whole little towns on the ice in the winter. Streets with makings and everything. The ice houses don't have emergency hatches on the roof.

The winters are often to warm for that now but, I think they still do the same thing in Canada some winters.

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
boosTT wrote:
They are common in MN and ND. I haven't seen them anywhere else and I'm in Wisconsin.

I see them in Northern WI. Mainly in winter.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are not uncommon around this state. If the site isn't level, you just set it down on wood blocks. They are one heck of a good idea for someone who not only camps, but goes ice fishing as well.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ralph day wrote:
to stink up the party...what happens if your campsite is not level??

Its meant to be dropped on ice. Ice generally freeze's pretty level.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
They are common in MN and ND. I haven't seen them anywhere else and I'm in Wisconsin.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
I WANT
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Community Alumni
Not applicable
A buddy has one made by Foret River but there is no toilet or fresh water supply. My buddy's has several ice holes with covers and lots of seating.

Apparently you can get them now with onboard water; the early ones did not. There was some debate about folks just dumping onto the ice.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
ralph day wrote:

LOL

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is a market, someone will build it.

Novel idea and certainly the right geographic location. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pretty neat idea. I've always thought about how an airbag system would be great for campers. Ride down the road on air suspension, arrive at your location, dump the bags and your trailer drops straight on the axles, alleviating any motion from the suspension.

These interiors are pretty cool with that bright cedar, I bet they smell pretty darn good! Couldn't help but notice that they have AC's on the roof too...

Surprisingly the prices aren't terrible either. One dealer advertises the 24' with hydraulic wireless suspension for $31,000. Cool idea, I like it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
After having gone through the ice on a snowmobile and seeing ice shanties and trucks go through it makes me wonder what happens if it goes through. Maybe I missed it but I didn't notice any top hatches. If you picture that thing sinking past the windows how do you get out. I didn't search every brand and model so maybe I'm missing it.

I posted the same thing way back and got booed on it but you wouldn't see me in it without good sized hatches on top and every window should be an egress in case of landing on it's side or having just one end partially out of the water. It's a heck of a feeling when you break through and dont know the depth. I'll just watch from shore. ๐Ÿ™‚

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
there are many MFG up in the north land. Ice Castle, Yetti, Lodge, Ice Cave by Forest River and Firebrand by Jayco are a few.
2017 SportTrek 271 VRB
2016 F150 Eco boost with max tow package

RwaSmith
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to a family that had one when we were on a way back to Indiana from Yellowstone. They love it and would never own anything else.

They are rather cool
2016 Forrest River Vibe 308BHS
2010 Chevy Suburban 2500