cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas to carry bikes

mrbreeze_az
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an inexpensive practical way to transport our bikes (3 of them). Our old TT had a receiver hitch and we hauled them behind on a bike rack, which I was never too crazy about. No way to monitor them. New TT does not have reinforced bumper. I was thinking of a rack that would attach to the truck bed rails allowing cargo in the bed (generator, water, firewood, etc.) I would like to see your solutions. BTW, I have seen the tongue mounted racks but not sure if this will work for me. Thanks
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Light 261 BHXL
2005 F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat
30 REPLIES 30

astro-hilo
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying these https://www.mount-n-lock.com/mnl-cargo-products/4square-safetystruts-prevent-bumper-failure one trip so far so good.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hopefully these pics work, it's my first time to try to add pics.

I wanted the bikes above the bed rails so I could put coolers, firewood, chairs etc in the bed. I had a popup at the time, so cargo space was needed.

I took the fork mounts like others have used, and bolted them to 2 pieces of angle iron I bought at Home Depot. I have 2 bars going across, the fork mounts are on one, and the back tire on the other. On the ends of the angle iron I put a 6" piece of the angle perpendicular to the long piece, and I put some stick on rubber pads underneath it to protect the truck. I bought some truck box mounting hardware the grabs the underside of the bed rail, and clamps down the rack. I use small bungees to keep the back wheels from bouncing around.

In the pictures, I lowered the cross bars down into the lumber slots in the bed so that my kayaks would fit on top. I've got to make some extensions for the kayak racks to make the bikes fit better.

I'll try to get some better pics of the racks this week.

2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Eddie_Griswold
Explorer
Explorer
I utilize a rack on a front mounted hitch receiver and a stand I picked up for $7 at Goodwill in the bed of the truck. I used to have carefully load and unload the bikes in and out of the camper which took a good 15-20 minutes. With this system I can do it in under half the amount of time.

2004 Ford F250 Superduty Crew Cab XLT, 6.0L Diesel, Equal-i-zer WDH, Tekonsha Primus IQ Brake Controller
2012 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR

DanKirk
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how I solved the bike delima (from another thread):

Bikes on Truck Bed
2017 Windjammer 3006WK
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Crew Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I made a rack for the truck bed. Since the topper is too low, I replace the front wheel with a steel lawn mower wheel. With this rack, I can minimize the space that the bikes occupy.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
I carry 3 bikes over the dining table. The Sunlite fork mount brackets were $16 ea. The front wheels store under the table.
It's important to me to keep the bikes out of the road grime when towing in bad weather. Also, the bikes weight is almost over the axles.

At the campsite, they get put away in this portable shed.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
We have mountain bikes. Why would I worry about getting them wet?

My bikes are MTB as well but it is not about getting them wet. Although, I wouldn't want to let a multi-pivot full suspension bike sit out in the rain either though. My deal is I don't want people eye-balling my bike for a 5 finger discount as it cost me a lot of money. I don't like leaving any of my bikes outside, unattended because of that. To each their own on what works for them. 🙂
I love me some land yachting

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrbreeze az wrote:
These are some great ideas. I am leaning toward the pvc rack (if I can still fit the generator, grill, etc). My truck bed is only 5.5 feet long. I like the tongue mount except it appears to inhibit access to the propane tanks. I never considered transporting them inside the trailer but it seems to work well for some. Thanks for the solutions and pics. Keep them coming.

My setup with the Trailer tray does limit access to the propane tanks. You can still turn the tanks on and off, but to take them out and refill them, I need to remove 4 bolts and then take the top of the tray off. It is really a fairly simple procedure.

I do not believe an Arvika A frame mount limits access because the entire bike rack can be flipped up and moved out of the way.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Here is a very convenient and inventive solution... relatively low cost too.

Bike carrying solution....finally!

I did mine the same way except I mounted the bikes going parallel to the TT. Over 12k miles with four bikes on the dinette.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mrbreeze az wrote:
These are some great ideas. I am leaning toward the pvc rack (if I can still fit the generator, grill, etc). My truck bed is only 5.5 feet long.

My Silverado's bed was 5.5' long as well, an ideal length as that tensioned the tailgate when closed against the bike tires. That DIY plywood bike rack I illustrated earlier was the original version which I later cut in half in terms of width and modified to hold 3 bikes and still use today where it hangs on my garage wall to hold empty Aquatainers between camping trips.

At the time I was using the original version for hauling 4 bikes I also used it at the campsite to hold the bikes and back at home to store them in the garage.

So many uses, my only "cost" being some sweat equity to build it. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

mrbreeze_az
Explorer
Explorer
These are some great ideas. I am leaning toward the pvc rack (if I can still fit the generator, grill, etc). My truck bed is only 5.5 feet long. I like the tongue mount except it appears to inhibit access to the propane tanks. I never considered transporting them inside the trailer but it seems to work well for some. Thanks for the solutions and pics. Keep them coming.
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Light 261 BHXL
2005 F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mrbreeze az wrote:
I am looking for an inexpensive practical way to transport our bikes (3 of them).

A great solution for anyone wanting to transport bikes while towing a travel trailer or 5th are the Arvika Bike Rack Systems which mount at the front of the trailer, keep the weight where it belongs forward of the axles, and where bikes can be seen from the tow vehicle ... but it not inexpensive.

My much cheaper solution was my own bike rack built with scrap plywood in my workshop that allowed me to carry 4 bikes in the back of our Silverado along with anything else - water containers, firewood, under awning ground mat, etc. "Cheap" for sure and the bikes didn't move in the slightest. :B

When we later switched the Silverado for an Avalanche I could just as easily carry a couple of adult bikes in the trailer by simply leaning them against the queen bed ... again, never shifted in the slightest.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Here is a very convenient and inventive solution... relatively low cost too.

Bike carrying solution....finally!

I do something similar but with 2x4s in the bed of my truck. So the bikes sit sideways toward the back of the bed. I keep meaning to take pictures of them mounted, but I always forget.

We have mountain bikes. Why would I worry about getting them wet? Use something like T9 Lubrication Fluid and getting them wet or muddy isn't an issue. Cover the seats with a Saddle Johnny. No problem.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Pine_Barren
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any pics but I just finished building us one out of pvc. It fits in truck bed and still have room for other things in there. Spent about $25 total at lowes for whole project