cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If only they had a dually...(Travel Trailer rollover)

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
...this might not have happened.

Tongue in cheek, of course - doesn't matter how big your truck is, it can happen to anyone in the right (or wrong) conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/522454457816173/videos/vb.522454457816173/1157339714327641/?type=2&theater

Apologies to those without facebook, haven't seen it on youtube yet.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow
21 REPLIES 21

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I could afford wrote:
Correction, one of his chains held. One broke. Biggest shocker is that the rear bike rack and bikes held on! I trying to find that picture in my phone.

Glad they all made it out safe!

It`s Ironic that the name of the trailer is Conquest!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Correction, one of his chains held. One broke. Biggest shocker is that the rear bike rack and bikes held on! I trying to find that picture in my phone.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a shot of my cousins suburban 2500 when his TT rolled in Massachusetts last summer after swerving to avoid another accident. Hitch broke free, but safety chains held. Rear tires ofTruck are barely touching the ground. No one was hurt, but no more trailer.

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
jmtandem wrote:
"If only the driver would have grabbed a handful of trailer brakes". It would not have happened.

The statement above is so correct. I am not sure how many people know that applying trailer breaks only during sway will stop the sway instantly. Suddenly that rolling, swaying monster becomes and 8,000 pound rock dragging behind you.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

mdprowash
Explorer
Explorer
Have watched that video many times... something just seems off about it. The truck with the video just doesn't really slow down or stop... odd

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Hold my beer and watch this!"

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. In his case, he had safety chains and it kept everything together. My point being that they do, indeed, work as advertised in some cases.

Chains are there for a reason, and you can be cited for not having them. Will they work in every accident? Nope. But if they are hooked up and they break during an accident, then that citation/liability is one less thing you have to worry about.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:
soren wrote:
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Apparently no chains, no WDH, just hammer down and pray for the best. Never saw any brake lights. Heck, the big rig didn't slow down very much until the TT was in it's death throes...

You really think those chains do much more than shoe laces would, once a trailer is violently snapping away from the truck at that speed? My son was in a horrific accident pulling a large equipment trailer that suffered two tire blow outs at once. The witnesses said that as the trailer snapped free of the hitch, it looked like an invisible hand grabbed the one ton pick-up and tossed it down the interstate, like a bowling ball hitting the alley. Not only did both chain snap like twine, the pintle hook twisted, and tore out of the receiver.

There was a video from similar wreck a while back where chains kept the rear end of the dually suspended in air after all was said and done. TT was laying on it's side.

So yes, in some cases, chains would help. Not all, of course - since nothing is indestructible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

I think this is the crash you're referring to. The OPs crash is much more violent than this crash. In this crash, they are reduced speed for a construction zone and the wind basically puts the trailer on it's side and the truck does an easy 180. The OPs crash happens at a much higher speed, and could easily break a weak safety chain.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
93Cobra2771 wrote:
Apparently no chains, no WDH, just hammer down and pray for the best. Never saw any brake lights. Heck, the big rig didn't slow down very much until the TT was in it's death throes...

You really think those chains do much more than shoe laces would, once a trailer is violently snapping away from the truck at that speed? My son was in a horrific accident pulling a large equipment trailer that suffered two tire blow outs at once. The witnesses said that as the trailer snapped free of the hitch, it looked like an invisible hand grabbed the one ton pick-up and tossed it down the interstate, like a bowling ball hitting the alley. Not only did both chain snap like twine, the pintle hook twisted, and tore out of the receiver.

There was a video from similar wreck a while back where chains kept the rear end of the dually suspended in air after all was said and done. TT was laying on it's side.

So yes, in some cases, chains would help. Not all, of course - since nothing is indestructible.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
In a big hurry and can't just do normal speed.

mudbud255
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think a dually would've mattered. It looks like maybe the big truck was blocking a bunch of wind and once he got free of the truck the wind was to much.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
93Cobra2771 wrote:

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Richard White
Hensley Arrow

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Did the truck rollover? Why post "If only they had a dually..." even tongue in cheek, of course???
I would have titled it "If only they had not put so much stuff off the back bumper." or "If only they had put on the trailer brakes to increase the tongue weight and slow down."

PS: I tow with much the same truck

You shortened what I said.

"Tongue in cheek, of course - doesn't matter how big your truck is, it can happen to anyone in the right (or wrong) conditions."

Conditions meaning: anything and everything, including weather, rig setup, hitch setup, TT setup, blown tire, wind, tongue weight, passing rig, speed, etc etc etc.
Richard White
Hensley Arrow