Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inspecting a slide out TT

phishheadmi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

I'm going to inspect/purchase a used TT this weekend. I'm pretty familiar with inspecting TT's but I've never owned one with a slide. What do I want to inspect in the slide? What should I pay particular attention to? Any specific areas of concern?
7 REPLIES 7

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
From the outside, check the intersection of the slide side walls to the slide floor. On some trailers the side wall panel will extend all the way to the bottom of the floor (better), on other trailers it will stop near the top of the floor and you can see the edge of the slide floor covered in the black tarp material. My experience has been that water running down the slide side wall can then wick thru the black plastic tarp. Push on the edges of the floor with your fingers and feel for rot.

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a rear slide so I can't an awning, but I use a leaf blower across the top of it before it's brought in, works great unless it's raining. But you will probably have to stand on a stepstool.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
phishheadmi wrote:
will I want to add an "awning" over the slideout??
Not necessarily. I have 3 slides and never had awnings. Then again I don't park in heavily treed areas where a lot of debris can fall on them. Perhaps if you do an awning would be helpful.

Many complain that they flap in the wind and make noise.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

phishheadmi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the help. This is a 2009 TT that appears (in photos) to be in very good condition and according to the owner it's been used very little and stored indoors through winter. I just sold our previous TT and was going to take my time through this winter and find a great deal on just what we're looking for, but I think I've found it already, lol. This is a Dutchmen, and I really wanted a Jayco, but it's got 4 of our top 5 wish list items, appears to be in great condition and we've agreed on a price of $9500 (low NADA retail is $12,300 average is $14,800). Most of the other TT's I'm seeing in my area in the $10K range are 4-5 years older and not as appealing floorplan, condition, etc.

Knowing all that, lol, what would be dealbreaker issues for you and what would be issues you'd accept and repair? Obviously, any water issues, rot, mold, etc will send me running for the hills. Roof issues are a biggie for me, as are major appliances. Having never owned a slide TT before, will I want to add an "awning" over the slideout? About how much should I expect on a 14' or so slide?

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definity FEEL and LOOK closely at the carpet and walls for soft spots and mold. Crawl under the jacknife sofa if you have to.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's electric, check the support bar/slider mechanism to see if it's been lubricated and has attracted a lot of dirt.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check how it extends/retracts
Does it go out evenly
Any unusual noises when operating....clicking, chatter
Does it fully close and seal
Does it seal when open
What shape are seals/wipers in
Any soft spots in slide out floor (check when extended)
Lift up edge of carpet when extended and check for gaps
Also look at condition of rollers/guides on lip of floor where slide out floor makes contact...rollers/guides worn etc.

Good luck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31