cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

installing 30 amp power at home

Pig-Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of installing a 30 amp breaker box and run it from my garage to my camper. Should I use a 220 or 110 to supply the power for the 30 amp. I'm not really an electrician but this I can do , just not sure if the 220 would be too much and fry my converter.
2007 2500HD Chevy
2008 28ft Dutchmen
19 REPLIES 19

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Even if you pull big wire or just oversize conduit for the future.... I would still stick with a single 30a breaker and 30a RV connector so that no adapter is needed.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My fear with getting professional help is alot of them never heard of RV's and how they are just a tad different then house wiring.

You really have to bring it up it is a RV not a house wiring situation. Then you kinda want to stay away from the brother-inlaw who knows house wiring for the same reason. Hopefully a BONDED licensed electrician will pay for all of the damage he may have done by wiring it like the house wiring is and blows up most of your 120VAC appliances with the first flip of the circuit breaker... "Do you smell smoke ?" It could add up dollar wise rather quick

One of these days I want to do the same thing but for now I am getting by just fine using two 10-gauge (10-3) HD contractor type 50-foot extension cords plugged into two different 120VAC 15/20AMP Receptacle circuits in the garage running out to my two trailers. I use the RV30A-15A adapter long adapter (WALMART) laying out in the middle of the yard and this powers up both RV trailers where i can run everything inside including air conditioner. I just have to watch what I have turned on at the same time otherwise it will trip the breaker in the garage.

just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pig-Smoker wrote:
I'm thinking of installing a 30 amp breaker box and run it from my garage to my camper. Should I use a 220 or 110 to supply the power for the 30 amp. I'm not really an electrician but this I can do , just not sure if the 220 would be too much and fry my converter.

Not to be mean, but just your extreme lack of knowledge in even asking the question and the way you worded it tells me you should not be mucking around with this project and should leave this to someone that knows what they are doing. Some mistakes involving electrical stuff doesn't allow you a second change because you might be DEAD.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Asking a question doesn't mean a person knows absolutely nothing and is 100% unqualified for the job! When I wanted an RV outlet at my home I too looked online for the answers I needed. Went and got the items needed and got it done. Its not for everyone but asking a question is where to start. Thats how you learn!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

24rules
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with vintage racer if you know nothing about electricity get help. some people do not realize that how something so simple can go so wrong and endanger your whole family

Empty_Nest__Soo
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
If I were to go to the effort and expense to add an RV outlet I would spend a couple more dollars in put in a full 50 amp service.
For the time being you could use a 30 amp breaker and the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter.
That is what I did as my next trailer will undoubtedly have a 50 amp cord.

Wish I had thought of that. I should at least have buried larger conduit to easily pull bigger wire if I need 50 amps later on.

Wayne
Wayne & Michelle

1997 Safari Sahara 3540

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would run wire for a 50 amp--and install the 30 amp for now.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:
If I were to go to the effort and expense to add an RV outlet I would spend a couple more dollars in put in a full 50 amp service.
For the time being you could use a 30 amp breaker and the 50 amp to 30 amp adapter.

+1

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

Pig-Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys and yes I got the message.
2007 2500HD Chevy
2008 28ft Dutchmen

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
VintageRacer wrote:
Merely asking the question proves you shouldn't do the job on your own. Get an electrician to do it, or pull a permit and have in inspected if you do it on your own.
How many times have we read about a professional electrician who has wired a 30A RV outlet with 220 volts?
I think the OP should have got the message by now - it's 110 volts/single breaker ONLY.
Not hard to do!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Merely asking the question proves you shouldn't do the job on your own. Get an electrician to do it, or pull a permit and have in inspected if you do it on your own.
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what a typical camp ground pedestal wiring looks like. In your case only wire up the 30AMP side.

It is wired just like a 120VAC receptacle except you use a RV 30AMP Receptacle and a 30AMP circuit breaker and proper size wiring for 30A service..

All three wires have to be wired just like shown...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
It`s wired the same as your standard 15A but with a different receptacle and larger gauge wire (10ga. minimum for a run at less than 75? feet, and 8 ga. for over 75 feet).

Do not run it as 220V!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!