cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

integrated trailer brake controller

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering the 2014 Silverado and an option is an integrated trailer brake controller. Does anyone have experience with this option and how well does it work? Thanks.
29 REPLIES 29

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever
My Silverado works perfectly

aluminum.flyer wrote:
I have a factory in our 2011 RAM 1500 and love it. Just don't own a RMC truck. That is a Recall Motor Corporation or any subsidiary (formerly known as GMC - Got Mechanic Coming). ๐Ÿ˜‰
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Camping over Memorial Day weekend. Trip here I had to make a sudden stop. Car in front of me suddenly slowed down and stopped in town, no warninmg. I slammed on the truckm brake, and the trailer brakes locked completely up and could hear them skidding behind us. It really freaked me out, because it did not even feel like the trailer bramkes locked down,it was that smooth a stop, although a sudden one. This was my first real test of the IBC. With my old truck, Ithe truck would have done the major braking no matter how hard I hit the brakes. I can't describe the difference, it's just something you have to experience. But this trip REALLY proved the IBC's worth! Even in a crisis, the braking of the camper is completely in sync with the truck!

Get the IBC, you will not be disappointed, and white knuckle sudden stops won't be so white knuckle any longer!

aluminum_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a factory in our 2011 RAM 1500 and love it. Just don't own a RMC truck. That is a Recall Motor Corporation or any subsidiary (formerly known as GMC - Got Mechanic Coming). ๐Ÿ˜‰

Crazy_2
Explorer
Explorer
I have the integrated brake control in my 2012 GMC, no complaints
was concerned like you but after one trip its a must have from now on.
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L
Grand Design Reflection 297RSDS 8200 Ish LBS dry,
Reece Dual Cam WDH

"If your dog is overweight, odds are you need more exercise"

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Had the prodigy p3 on my Ramada, worked well. Had the ford factory integrated Mon my f250 and loved it. The integrated was a must for us when TV shopping. Bought my 2014 silverado 3500 with it beginning of April and 3000 miles ago. Between the integrated brake controller and the duramax with Allison tranny and exhaust brakes, I am now spoiled after 1 short trip and one 900 min round trip (including mountains). I would not without my integrated brake controller, exhaust brake, or my wonderful engine that even helps control speeds. In case you can't tell, I love the truck and the controller.

Fyi, the local chevy dealership here is continuing to offer up to 20% off trucks until the end of the month. Some good deals to be had right now. Also, not sure if you are going diesel or gas, 1500, 2500, or 3500 but the 2014 3500 diesel is scarce right now. They had to search multiple states to find an LT long bed for us and only found 1 in a 500 mile radius.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the above. The IBC works - perfectly.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Will never own another truck without it. On your first tow you will wonder if the brakes are fully working as there is no jerking or grabbing. Helps stop the wind up in your hitch and frame when having to stop quickly.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Good thing Ford led the way on that one...just sayin'...:B
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
I had an after market on my last truck, believe me the factory unit is the way to go. It is so smooth I don't even feel the trailer breaking, but with the trailer connected the current gain setting and amount of breaking output is shown on the dash display. Easy to adjust to driving conditions. Sweet.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Of course the factory brake controllers work better, your foot pressure is controlling the stopping power unlike the current aftermarket toys.

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a Silverado, but my Ram has the controller integrated from the factory. It's worth it's weight in gold just so you don't have an ugly box mounted somewhere that you bang your knee off every time you get out of the truck.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our new 3500 diesel Silverado only 1000 miles ago. I've towed a few miles now and absolutely love it. The difference between it and my old Silverado (aftermarket) controller is like driving a model T-Ford and a 2014 Lexus! The controller brakes the camper so even and steady with the brakes in the truck, you REALLY don't even know the trailer is there ... Absolutely love it! Get it ... Any amount you pay for it will be well worth it! Absolutely!

billyjoeraybob
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^ what they said x2
2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Ashland
2013 Heartland Sundance 3270RES (Traded)
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC 4x4 DRW Allison/Duramax
2009 Chevy Silverado 3500HD EC 4x4 SRW Allison/Duramax(totaled 1/17/13)
2008 Pilgrim International Cirrus 28CQB(Sold)

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
It is worth every penny and would not buy another truck without it.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
It is better than any aftermarket brake controller. Get it.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)