cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting delam issue - revised 6-24, more pics

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
My Eagle Cap 1160 filon has let go under the bunk.

But here's the interesting part - I haven't camped in the rain in years, no signs of leaks, and it's fully garaged 24x7.

Input I'm looking for -
Why would it have delam'd?
and..
What would you do to re-glue it? I'm thinking of drilling a couple small holes, shooting it full of glue, then making a reinforced plywood piece that I'll jack up with a floor jack to pinch the filon while the glue sets.

Here's the only pic I could find showing the condition and where I keep it, inside a purpose-built garage---
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
38 REPLIES 38

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think anev942 has the best idear.
I think it would be hard to ensure enough adhesive coverage from a few very small strategically placed holes to endure it stays up.
I โ€œthinkโ€ itโ€™s heavy plywood sheeting but Iโ€™d verify that and use some trim strips. Push it back in place like youโ€™re thinking and sink a bunch of screws in it.
Something like the pic he showed or possibly nice looking washer and screws. Stainless or coated and make it look like it supposed to be ther.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Eagle Cap, I have read about a few cases with the one piece front caps doing whatโ€™s happening to yours.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
From what I can tell from Looking at the pic it appears that yourโ€™s has a full one piece wrap around cap, though I canโ€™t be sure...Earlier year models used no filon...

Gary_Morency
Explorer
Explorer
It is laminated and the glue has let go this has been on this forum before about eaglecaps. The response from the company was to run some screws into the framing not seeing what year your camper is.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Very seriously doubt it was ever glued filon usually isnt glued. Its why a lot of people see a wrinkle and think its delam.Age heat and gravity is why it appears to be sagging.they used it there so the overhang can flex and not cause stress cracks

bb_94401
Explorer
Explorer
Best guess for delamination is poor adhesion, due to contaminated surface, or bad glue procedure /conditions. Add flex and off it came. A section of one of the carbon fiber hulls delaminated on my trimaran. I talked to a highly skilled fiberglass, independent repair person (boat wright / ship wright) who solved my problem. Ask around your area if they have time to do some creative work.

Maybe they could seal it similar to vacuum bagging and see whether it would hold a vacuum. They are very creative. Might need to remove some trim and seal the underlying edges to get the vacuum needed. If so then, pull in low vicosity, slow cure epoxy from one end and out the other. Use mold release (aka wax) to prevent epoxy from sticking on outside visible surfaces. Or creative use of sealing tape.
'05 Ram 3500, 4x4, DRW, LB, 6spd man, CTD, PRXB exhaust brake, Roadmaster bar

'01 Corsair 10'8" - 4,200 lbs., Xantrex XADC 80A, Link 20, 4-Lifeline GPL-4CT, PowerGate Isolater, 2 AWG wire, PI 30A EMS, 2 Honda EU2000i, parallel kit, ext. duration tank.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
That would work, assuming you can locate structure?
If the whole lid is coming down possibly use something to help it say up.
Maybe some non-insert trim across full width, or 2?
https://pantherrvproducts.com/ap-products-021-87201-8-flat-trim-molding-white-8-ft
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I donโ€™t know if you intended to post two pictures or not. In any case, are you sure itโ€™s delaminates?

I have some areas that are not flat anymore. I donโ€™t have a picture handy, but the best way to describe it is irregular with bumps ... I guess. Host said itโ€™s nothing to concern myself with, and there havenโ€™t been any more changes for years.

Sorry, I should have clarified - the entire filon under the bunk has separated. When you poke it with your finger it's a good inch of space in there.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t know if you intended to post two pictures or not. In any case, are you sure itโ€™s delaminates?

I have some areas that are not flat anymore. I donโ€™t have a picture handy, but the best way to describe it is irregular with bumps ... I guess. Host said itโ€™s nothing to concern myself with, and there havenโ€™t been any more changes for years.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member