Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting new application for 6.7 Powerstroke

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I didn't see this coming!

Pierce pumper with Powerstroke Diesel

I don't see this powertrain revolutionizing the fire service world, but it might turn out to be a good option for a smaller department in a flat area. It's down on horsepower and way down on torque compared to Pierce's top of the line apparatus, but with the right gearing it should perform ok on the flat. Pierce is one of the top manufacturers of fire apparatus in the world, so apparently they have a lot of confidence in this powertrain.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3
20 REPLIES 20

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Fish, are you feeling OK? We're worried about you! :B

LOL.... I see that

I actually shared this video here last year. The medium duty cummins guy had his shorts in a wad.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Fish, are you feeling OK? We're worried about you! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Fire fighting just got easier....... :B

That pumper is a real jewel.

This made me LOL! Thanks!

We will stick to our Cummins powered Sutphens here I believe.
However, I must admit it's a nice pumper.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:

That pumper is a real jewel.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
thomasmnile wrote:
stsmark wrote:
This is listed under the tranny. Available live-drive power. What is it? Never heard the term before.
Thanks

Power takeoff or pump and roll capability like an airport crash truck?

That transmission PTO cannot provide enough power to operate the fire pump. Pierce does make a municipal type pumper run off a PTO but it can transfer much more torque through the PTO than the Ford PTO. This application has a transfer case aft of the transmission that can either turn the pump or the rear wheels, but not both. Most municipal type fire engines are configured this way.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
From the Ford Super Duty webpage:

"CLASS-EXCLUSIVE LIVE-DRIVE PTO
Whether your Super Duty® runs on diesel or gas power, available is the optional class-exclusive* Live-Drive Power Takeoff (PTO) Provision with Mobile Mode.** An output gear connected to the crankshaft powers a PTO when the engine is running, whether in motion or stopped. Multiple accessories can be operated at the same time when the truck is stopped."

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
stsmark wrote:
This is listed under the tranny. Available live-drive power. What is it? Never heard the term before.
Thanks

Power takeoff or pump and roll capability like an airport crash truck?

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Groover wrote:
This seems awful heavy for a truck that can be used on the roads:
Front GAWR (maximum)
18,000 lb

Rear GAWR (maximum)
27,000 lb

Depending on the state, fire apparatus typically have exemptions from axle weight requirements. The Saber is actually pretty light for a pumper. Other pumpers can have axle ratings of over 30K on the rear. Our tandem axle ladder truck has a GVWR of 76000 and an operating weight of 70000. Without the exemptions it would need 6 axles instead of 3!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
WOW ! About 10 years ago, I knew a guy who was trying to convince Ford to try to get in the mini/portable pumper business ! Not build the vehicles/pumps, just provide engineering assistance in how to connect up the piece and modify the electronics. No one within the company was interested !

An F550 dually could carry a lot of water to a remote fire !

The F550 is probably the most common platform on which to build small wildland engines. 400 gallons of water is about the limit by the time you add in the weight of the body, hose, equipment and personnel.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if the cab comes off easy like the pickups?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
This seems awful heavy for a truck that can be used on the roads:
Front GAWR (maximum)
18,000 lb

Rear GAWR (maximum)
27,000 lb

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
WOW ! About 10 years ago, I knew a guy who was trying to convince Ford to try to get in the mini/portable pumper business ! Not build the vehicles/pumps, just provide engineering assistance in how to connect up the piece and modify the electronics. No one within the company was interested !

And the anticipated F600 will carry 15% more.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer