cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a propane fire ring a waste of money???

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking of buying a propane fire ring.
Does anyone have any comments.

I seems to be a cool idea but i would have to carry a propane tank and then the fire ring unit in the back seat.
Is it gong to be just more stuff to carry around.

Thanks
50 REPLIES 50

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Long Island isn’t exactly the wild frontier lol.
I’ve lived there. New Yorkers will be New Yorkers, they believe it’s the center of the universe.
It’s just the culture there. They make great pizza.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
K Mac wrote:
I enjoy my fires, only recall one summer in Montauk NY where they were banned in the past 20 yrs. or so. It's funny that I just read in a poll this week that 62% of campers don't approve of fires, for one reason or another. I'm glad I don't camp where they do or in their paved woods.

Oh so haughty. You camp where you want to, and everyone else will camp where they want to. Deal?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
It’s not that people don’t like “real” campfires.

I would be run out of town if I was caught with a propane fire pit.(Laffin)

Around here wood is abundant and fire restrictions are rare..I usually get 6-7 cords of wood for my house to use and a bunch more to sell..I enjoy getting firewood and being out away from all the people in the mountains..

No disrespect towards those that use them.

NE Oregon is the same way.....
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer

I would be run out of town if I was caught with a propane fire pit.(Laffin)

Around here wood is abundant and fire restrictions are rare..I usually get 6-7 cords of wood for my house to use and a bunch more to sell..I enjoy getting firewood and being out away from all the people in the mountains..

No disrespect towards those that use them.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
When I was camping in high Sierra, we had tons of free firewood from the forest and we were spending like 4-5 hr each night at campfire. High elevation made cold nights, so that was heat source as well.
Now living in Las Vegas you can just forget about finding wood on desert, while small pack of firewood cost a fortune and not too many places carry them.
Same in Baja.
In my previous house I had electric fireplace who was giving warm impression without generating heat.
Small motor powered shaft with mirroring stripes that reflected bulb light onto backing painted in flame scheme. It was't perfect, but on couple of occasions visitors drop trash into the "fire". The unit had electric heater build in, that would blow warm air from the top when you need it.
I wonder if similar design is available in rings?
That would be all I need on desert.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The west is a lot warmer and dryer than Long Island and fires can easily get a lot more real than anyone wants.
Perhaps you’ve seen the news lately...
Wood camp fires simply aren’t allowed in many really great places, for good reason.

If you’re that into fire, go to Burning Man...where wood camp fires are prohibited! But there’s more propane-fueled fire than you’ll ever see anywhere else.
Let me assure you, those are people who like real fire even more than the average camper.

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Mac wrote:
I enjoy my fires, only recall one summer in Montauk NY where they were banned in the past 20 yrs. or so. It's funny that I just read in a poll this week that 62% of campers don't approve of fires, for one reason or another. I'm glad I don't camp where they do or in their paved woods.

Me too! I keep my eye on "campers" that don't like campfires...
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
Very pleased with ours. Several state parks near us never allow campfires, and it has saved us from freezing our assets a couple of times when there were fire restrictions in the mountains over Memorial Day weekend. We do carry an extra propane tank for it and don’t always end up using it, but definitely worth it. I do prefer a real wood fire for reasons already mentioned, but can’t beat the quick on/off and no cleanup.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

Viscerl
Explorer
Explorer
Well, ordered one from Amazon.

It would be cool if the forum received the commission from the sales of these things. They might be able to upgrade the forum software to ~2004 tech. 🙂

Bedlam
I have owned a little red LPG campfire since 2005. It is getting pretty beat up and the logs are look poor, but it continues to do the job and has sold hunderds more just from us using it and others seeing it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Seems like a silly thread. If a propane fire ring is important to you and you are willing to sacrifice precious space, then buy one. Someone gave me one. I thanked them and then threw it in the garbage.

What a waste. Why not give it to someone else or sell it donate the money?

Why accept it in the first place?

Kind of rude IMHO.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Probably while it was still lit...

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like a silly thread. If a propane fire ring is important to you and you are willing to sacrifice precious space, then buy one. Someone gave me one. I thanked them and then threw it in the garbage.