cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone towing with an older pickup truck.

Sunnysidebeach
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago I purchased a 1999 GMC Sierra heavy half ton, (sometimes referred to as lite ¾ ton) Z71 4x4.

Since that time, I’ve completed the restoration process the previous owner had started, including changing out the rims to 18 inch and installing Michelin LTX AT E rated 10 ply tires, 5.3 ltr motor rebuilt, all AC system replaced, suspension upgraded, and before we leave for our retirement trip, I’ll install a new GM transmission, with a 3 year 100k warranty.

In the past year, I’ve pulled our 28 RLS Keystone Bullet all over Florida and had no issues.

My question is; we are retiring in two years, and want to head out west for six months at a time travel. Should I keep my current truck, or look at buying a newer 2/4 ton.
44 REPLIES 44

Beatfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Towing with a 99 Suburban K1500 5.7. 150K on the clock and going strong.
Time's sure fun when you're having flies!

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Love the Excursion w V10! We towed cattle and horse trailers with them.. powerful.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Oh,, and a 99 is not old . Older maybe, but not old. If you were using a 79 then that would be old.

I agree, Who is the OP calling old!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that a newer truck is nice, its hard to swallow the $50-70k price tag!!!!! Ide keep what you have and try it out. If it seems to be working then put the trans in. If not trade It for a newer truck maybe a '10-13 model. that will keep the price reasonable.

I`m towing with an 02 V-10 Excursion. It has 99k miles and is reliable and tows my 9200lb trailer easily.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
GON2SKI wrote:
Here's my like new keeper with less than 60K miles!

Very nice looking rig!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

TechGoneWild
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with many on here. I upgraded from an '06 F150, Now have an '08 Silverado only because it has the telescopic tow mirrors and Factory tow package right down to the brake controller built into the dash. Although not quite paid for, I owe a lot less for this than the $70,000.00 the same dealer wanted for the 2018 trucks. I put that money into a brand new camper and still saved a ton!!

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my like new keeper with less than 60K miles!
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
2001 F250 V10 @ 210,000 miles, original engine & tranny, I put this truck in semi retirement in 2006 @ 145,000 miles, best truck I ever owned. :B
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still towing with my '96 F250.

Even though the new models have twice the horsepower of my ole 7.3L engine and they can pass me up easily on the mountain grades, I always get to my destinations happy as a lark.

I'm a happy camper.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will say that the transmissions in those trucks are iffy though. Some of them seem to go forever. Others **** out at 80-130000 miles. I had one that did it at 80000 . I never forgave the truck after that and sold it to a fried.

He loves it.

It is in the shop every 3 months but, he loves it.

It's all personal preferences I guess.

Oh, front wheel bearings too. They go out about every 50000 miles. it's not like the old days when you could just change them or grease them. You have to buy the whole wheel bearing pack. Sets you back aobut 350 dollars and that is just the bearings. Easy to change though.

benr0
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure this is old yet.
2001 F250 V10, 90K, sure is cheaper to keep her.
2001 F250 CC V10 Short Box 2WD 3.73(7200 lbs loaded for travel)
New Trailer hunt is under way...
2002 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS(7800 loaded)
Prodigy and Reese 1200lbs/HP Dual Cam

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
Man I thought you guys were going to talking about old trucks 😉
Me too.

We take semi long trips with ours every spring and fall. This last trip we found out we need a new window motor for the passenger side window.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Sunnysidebeach
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
A nearly 20 year old 5.3L? Even a 2.7L F150 (or the new 2.7L GM 4-cyl) would feel like a jet-engine compared to what you have now.

Yeah, I think you'll enjoy retirement much more with a newer, adequately powerful powertrain.

For what you'll spend on a new transmission, that could pay for 20% of slightly used off-lease work-trim truck (current-day work trims are nearly as nice as the fancy trims from 20 years ago).

My apologies, when I posted the motor had been rebuilt, I should have stated we turned the 5.3 Ltr up a bit, and it has as much or more HP as the 6 Ltr does today.

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 3/4 Ton Long Bed with a 6.0L Engine, Its on 33 inch tires and is geared with 4:56 gears. It has 250,000 miles on the original Engine and Trans, AND Brakes! The only mods are Banks Headers, Hypertech Programmer and Magnaflow exhaust..That being said its in MINT condition, been re-painted, interior is Mint too... I never get passed by any newer truck towing..I pass them all easily... Its all about the Gearing, I can Tow easily in Overdrive.. I will never buy a new truck.. I will keep this one forever, and put whatever money necessary to keep it going... The quality of THis year truck far exceeds the cheap materials that are used today....