cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Hello. I am a long time TT owner but have been brainstorming about what I might like to do in the future. We 100% boondock off grid in dispersed spots and I like the idea of how much more we would have access to if I wasn't towing the camper but carrying it instead. But is it common/practical to take the camper off your truck at the camp spot and use it while on the ground? I think that would be a very attractive way to do it, freeing the truck up for things we would want to use it for without having to bring the camper with. Thanks.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen
45 REPLIES 45

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've offloaded it in campsites several times. It depended on how long we were staying, whether we wanted to use the truck, and how level and solid the ground.

When off the truck, most campers are easier to get in and out of.

I will say loading and unloading on firm, level ground is much easier than on a slope.
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did this fairly regularly for a long time when camping in one spot for several days as the truck got used to launch any boats that were brought along or used for driving around the area without needing to drag the house along.

These days, though, I'm starting to lean more towards using the camper and truck as a modular motorhome option and look into getting a small late 70s-early 80s mini-pickup to use as a towed(toad) for doing the run around work and also to double as the gear trailer (I'm shopping for one)
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
A major consideration I have for wanting to remove a slide in camper at a camp spot is that the dispersed boondocking spots we use are first come first serve, use it or lose it situations. If I didn't have a camp set up, the spot could appear available and be taken when I tried to come back to it. I have "reserved" a spot earlier in a week by pitching a tent there and I suppose that could be option for claiming my spot while in use but unattended as well. But my experience is you need to claim your spot during your entire stay or don't expect it to still be there if you left it empty.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
stevenal wrote:
Two campers over 24 years, and we've removed it exactly once; to drive the Monument Valley loop without shaking up the beer. Why unpack the camper to pack for the day trip, when everything we might need is already snug in its place? Food, clothing, water, bed (strictly for napping :)), first aid kit, dog gear, swim suits, etc..

And when the boat goes along, launching with the camper on gets easy with practice.

EXACTLY x 2
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Still, your choice.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

Your choice.

Again, not for everyone.
When parking with 9000 lb and long camper in the city is not practical, you can't leave the dogs in camper park on the street on hot day.
You have to leave it on campground with AC running.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
That's the beauty of a TC.
Leave it on or take it off.
Your choice.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And that's the beauty of TCs. They can be unloaded and used as base camp, or one has the ability to bring the camper with them with less hassle than a trailer.

Not a single RV out there that isn't a compromise or an advantage in some way shape or form, or situation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Never have. One of the things we love about truck camping is we always have everything with us all the time. When we go out site seeing for the day we have all of our food, medicine, change of clothes, hiking boots, etc with us. This means we don't have to plan out the day. When we get groceries we don't have to run back to camp to put them up.

Now one thing that does make keeping the camper on the truck easier is we have a small 8' truck camper on a SRW truck. This means we are under our payload and it fits in a standard parking space.

Exactly
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Never have. One of the things we love about truck camping is we always have everything with us all the time. When we go out site seeing for the day we have all of our food, medicine, change of clothes, hiking boots, etc with us. This means we don't have to plan out the day. When we get groceries we don't have to run back to camp to put them up.

Now one thing that does make keeping the camper on the truck easier is we have a small 8' truck camper on a SRW truck. This means we are under our payload and it fits in a standard parking space.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Two campers over 24 years, and we've removed it exactly once; to drive the Monument Valley loop without shaking up the beer. Why unpack the camper to pack for the day trip, when everything we might need is already snug in its place? Food, clothing, water, bed (strictly for napping :)), first aid kit, dog gear, swim suits, etc..

And when the boat goes along, launching with the camper on gets easy with practice.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We take it off about half the time, but only if we will be in a CG for several days. We can explore areas easier without it, and it stays connected in the CG if we have services. Sometimes, it depends on the area as well.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

fishingfanatic
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
I used to take mine off so I could launch and retrieve the boat without it. It's also nice for hauling the kids and their bikes around the campground or whatever. I could take it off in about 15 or 20 minutes. Putting it back on was maybe 30 minutes. It's no big deal.

Do this all the time. Easy if you practice.

Hardscrabble
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on many things, remote/isolated spots, never a need. When we come to a spot where we will be for a while and want to be able to move easily or if there are height restrictions (like where we are now) and we want to be able to access some remote trailheads, we take it off. Ours is pretty easy to take off and put back on, it is just a cost/benefit analysis. To each their own.

Regards...
2019 Northern Lite EXSE, wet bath, 2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW Duramax w/ Bilstein 4600s, Torklift Stableloads/Fastguns, Timbren Severe Duty Bump Stops, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, WeBoost drive reach rv cell booster.