cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it common to remove your truck camper at your camp spot?

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Hello. I am a long time TT owner but have been brainstorming about what I might like to do in the future. We 100% boondock off grid in dispersed spots and I like the idea of how much more we would have access to if I wasn't towing the camper but carrying it instead. But is it common/practical to take the camper off your truck at the camp spot and use it while on the ground? I think that would be a very attractive way to do it, freeing the truck up for things we would want to use it for without having to bring the camper with. Thanks.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen
45 REPLIES 45

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimBollman wrote:
Since you haven't bought a TC yet you may want to consider that part of your reason for looking at truck campers was getting into tighter spots. We had a series of truck camper softer the year and found that popup 8 or 8.5' that did not hang beyond the back of our 8' truck box worked the best for us. It was only 7' tall and about 7' wide. We ran a standard cab to further the mobility and park ability. We could park nearly anywhere a normal truck could park. Our style was to seldom stay more than one night in the same place and get all our sight seeing and such done before we setup camp. Even when we had full hookups we only connected AC to charge batteries and never dropped the jacks, in fact on our last camper I took the jacks off while it was on the truck so it was easy to setup and take down the camp.

We found that you almost forgot it was on the back and I usually loaded in the Spring and unloaded in the Fall unless I needed the truck to haul something. We stuffed so much in the wheel wells, including an ancillary battery that plugged into the side that it was a bit of a task to take off and get everything packed back in when reloading.

Unfortunately a few years ago my wife's knees would not allow getting in the overhead bunk anymore and we switched to a 19' B camper and it serves most of the same needs our truck camper did as far as easy to park and maneuver in tight spots. We purposely got as low as we could and are now 8' 8". Would have liked a popup B but could not find one when we were looking.

We used to do what you describe in our coachman ranger. It was small and easily maneuverable and fit into parking spots very easily even on the crew cab dually. The lance 1181 is very different and is not geared for local shopping and running around. It is huge and very high. Often we hit low branches at Walmart's etc... Plus with the slide out in the way we have to push it out a little bit to use the bathroom. No big deal but in my opinion the 1181 was not designed for daily routine and sight seeing and is why we have so often taken it off although others have no problem I don't care for it. There is a campground down the street from me that has many snow birds in motor homes and on the weekend they bring the motor home to the Winn Dixie to resupply. Just a point. I too am having trouble with getting in and out of my unit as well as the bed. We looked at tow behinds but they are to much money right now.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Since you haven't bought a TC yet you may want to consider that part of your reason for looking at truck campers was getting into tighter spots. We had a series of truck camper softer the year and found that popup 8 or 8.5' that did not hang beyond the back of our 8' truck box worked the best for us. It was only 7' tall and about 7' wide. We ran a standard cab to further the mobility and park ability. We could park nearly anywhere a normal truck could park. Our style was to seldom stay more than one night in the same place and get all our sight seeing and such done before we setup camp. Even when we had full hookups we only connected AC to charge batteries and never dropped the jacks, in fact on our last camper I took the jacks off while it was on the truck so it was easy to setup and take down the camp.

We found that you almost forgot it was on the back and I usually loaded in the Spring and unloaded in the Fall unless I needed the truck to haul something. We stuffed so much in the wheel wells, including an ancillary battery that plugged into the side that it was a bit of a task to take off and get everything packed back in when reloading.

Unfortunately a few years ago my wife's knees would not allow getting in the overhead bunk anymore and we switched to a 19' B camper and it serves most of the same needs our truck camper did as far as easy to park and maneuver in tight spots. We purposely got as low as we could and are now 8' 8". Would have liked a popup B but could not find one when we were looking.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
If I am staying in the same spot for a week or more, which is unusual, I will take it off, otherwise I leave it on
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

You also don't need cabin bigger than with 2 seats.

Its not don't need, its don't want. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see it once in awhile.
It is hard to find a level spot when boondocking. Even a lot of campgrounds have very unlevel pads.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RE loading and unloading on sloped or uneven groundโ€ฆ
Unload the camper completely at the slope of however the unit was sitting, mark the jacks for re load, level the camper after unloading. Bring it back to previous position for re-load.
Pretty easy.
And depends how you camp and what you do. A lot of our camping it is far more convenient to lose the camper off the truck than to roll up camp and pack the camper around everywhere for days when itโ€™s not needed.
Examples:
Yellowstone touring around no camper = much easier.
Stay a friends for a few days and need vehicle.
Launching and retrieving boat daily or more often.
Middle of bfe nowhere and using truck to explore.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldn't call it common for up here. I personaly have never seen some one take it off at a campground.. maybe a seasonal site rental but even then most of the time you don't see a truck camper in thoes. so if you were to ask me I would say it is very uncomon, and for myself it isn't worth the hassel of removing and reinstalling on the typical uneven ground of a campground. when I do take it off at home it is on concrete blocks and 4x4's which I wouldnt be able to take with me unless I started hauling a trailer also. plus I have hydraulic jacks so you cant leave it sitting with pressure on the jacks. if I had a newer unit with screw jacks and electric motors to make it easier and faster to remove and load maybe, but in all honesty a small tow trailer would be much easier to use if that is your intention.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
I've never taken mine off when camping, never had a need or desire to.

You also don't need cabin bigger than with 2 seats.
As we know, everybody is having different needs.
I removed my camper often, not only for convenience of easier driving in the city without it, but also I could leave my dogs in air-conditioned camper, when I went dining.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
We have two campgrounds, one primitive and one with full hookups.
I don't recall ever seeing anyone in the primitive campground remove their camper.
I have only seen a few people in the full hookup campground remove their camper from the truck.
People do it but I wouldn't call it common.
I've never taken mine off when camping, never had a need or desire to.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I compare taking off my camper on campgrounds to lowering the roof on my convertible at red light.
QUITE A SHOW.
With remote-operated jacks it takes me about 2 minutes to drive the truck off and then I can lower the camper on front support beam, what solves all the potential parking issues. Mind my camper was scaled up to 7000 lb and about 22' of total length, so driving it on city parking lots was not easy.
Loading the camper takes few minutes, but then it took me 2 years before I figured out that my 360 cameras have trailer option, who made centering the truck a breeze.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
^Some of those questions are specific to particular campers, but yes, just put some boards under the feet if on softer ground. Youโ€™ll want a little collection of boards, with you, for leveling the truck up with camper on, and or as pads under the jacks. I usually carried a handful of 2x6s and 4 plywood squares.
Most good campers will not be too wobbly if you lower them down. RE auto level, itโ€™s not difficult to level, just think about how the camper moves and to not put it in a bind. Generally when leveling, or un leveling move one โ€œsideโ€ at a time. IE 2 front jacks or both on one side etc.
youโ€™ll also want or need to un level it for loading and unloading on sloped surfaces.

Dittos!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=s+removing+a+truck+camper+from+a+truck

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Whether you want or need anti sway gadgets is subjective. Worry about stuff like this later after you have the camper and are familiar with it.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Some of those questions are specific to particular campers, but yes, just put some boards under the feet if on softer ground. Youโ€™ll want a little collection of boards, with you, for leveling the truck up with camper on, and or as pads under the jacks. I usually carried a handful of 2x6s and 4 plywood squares.
Most good campers will not be too wobbly if you lower them down. RE auto level, itโ€™s not difficult to level, just think about how the camper moves and to not put it in a bind. Generally when leveling, or un leveling move one โ€œsideโ€ at a time. IE 2 front jacks or both on one side etc.
youโ€™ll also want or need to un level it for loading and unloading on sloped surfaces.

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the photos notsobigjoe. Actually you've kind of addressed another thought I had but had not yet put into words. I'm picturing taking the camper off at my dispersed site which is on dirt. I think of the camper being supporting by the 4 telescoping stands (what is the right term for them?). The feet have relatively small footprint for the weight they support, maybe no big deal for storage on bare ground but what about if camper is fully loaded and being used? Would I need to put the feet on some wide supports to spread out the load? Would I need extra supports to combat wobble? Would the ground need to be absolutely flat for this to work? Is there auto-leveling technology like with a motorhome?
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
A post like this seems to attract those who have removed their campers while camping. In spite of the responses, I would say removing the camper is rare. I spent 2 years camping full time in the National Parks in the western US. I can only remember seeing this happen once.

In any case what others do does not need to change your plans.

Being a winter snow bird destination Florida see's many take offs here, especially the bass fisherman. I go to many tourneys and there are several TC's that are off to use the truck for launching and retrieving. In the north east I have never seen one off. I've never gone to far west to comment on that. In the keys they take them off too. One thing I have never seen is any stabilization accessories being used other than jacks and blocks. I'm the only one I've ever seen with a pair of wobble stoppers. People ask me about them all the time. I still use blocks and jacks.
This is in my driveway but it's the same at the lake.

I also use slide out supports.

I tip it to the rear slightly because of the rain water run off and it tips my head up a little bit when sleeping.