cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it worth buying the Forest River Extended Warranty

Keen_Family
Explorer
Explorer
We are close to finalizing a deal on a Forest River Grey Wolf TT. The dealer wants to sell us the extended warranty. The cost will range from $1500 to $2500. Is it worth it?
23 REPLIES 23

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
My FR Rockwood Windjammer has been excellent with zero problems in 3 years. I've heard all mfg's are hit and miss and it's kinda the luck of the draw.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some of the problems I've had (I have a Coachmen Freedom Express 322RLDS-2015 model):
1. Now on my third A/C
2. Had my black tank come completely out of the trailer-just fell out. Caused by faulty installation and incompetent installers (they bent a retaining rail in order to quickly and more easily install the tank).
3. The television connections were mis-wired.
4. The radio speakers were miswired.
5. The slides leaked (rain came inside in buckets) due to design flaw (Coachmen knew about it and instructed the dealer on fixes).
6. Various leaks in the plumbing.
7. Carbon Dioxide alarm quit after 3 months.
8. Kitchen island trim fell off (as well as other trim).
9. Etc, etc.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I`m on my 2nd FR (2 Cherokees, an 05 and the 07). the only issue I had was on the 07, the Radio went out (known problem with FR`s radios). I replaced it when the second replacement went bad. Otherwise it has been trouble free!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
stallsmi wrote:
Forest River quality is horrible (and maybe a lot of other RV manufacturers). I have had two, and most of my big problems occurred in the second year. I would get something to cover you. But remember, a Dometic air conditioner (for example) is covered for two years by Dometic and not FR (I know, I'm on my third A/C in 1.5 years--all covered by Dometic). Like air conditioners, keep in mind that some components may already have warranties longer than one year.
What rv do you have and what went wrong?

I went back and read your prior posts and it does sound like you had a lot of problems.

My Cherokee has been trouble free but the Wildwood not so.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Double post

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
Forest River quality is horrible (and maybe a lot of other RV manufacturers). I have had two, and most of my big problems occurred in the second year. I would get something to cover you. But remember, a Dometic air conditioner (for example) is covered for two years by Dometic and not FR (I know, I'm on my third A/C in 1.5 years--all covered by Dometic). Like air conditioners, keep in mind that some components may already have warranties longer than one year.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
If companies did not make money off extended warranties they wouldn't sell them. That money comes form the folks who buy the policies. Of course, the companies are betting on making money based "on averages" and you are only worried about your particular policy. Kind of a **** (a dice game played on a large green table with lot's of numbers printed on it that the sites auto editor won't let you say) shoot but I don't think they're worth the cost. Others think otherwise.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

mikebte
Explorer
Explorer
I myself did not buy a warranty, I purchased a service agreement. And here is why..
I tend to take my wife out and leave her while I work and finish up the week. The second my fridge goes out or the AC stops working, I am going to be receiving a phone call with an unhappy wife on the other end.

With the service agreement I purchased, its $100 deductible and they will go fix the issue while I am at work. For $1800 or and extra $10 a month financed, I'll take some peace of mind.

If I do not use it in the first 4 years they will give me 4 more years. Ether way, if my AC needs replaced, the plan has paid for itself. It is also nation wide. So when I am in Colorado with my tools at home, its taken care of.

If I was not married, I would not have purchased said agreement.....
There she goes costing me money again...

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
At closing you should be offered a second full year warranty for $150. Don't expect the dealer to really point it out to you as they want to up sell you a high price warranty. Based on my FR problems in the 1st year, I'd highly recommend the 2nd year warranty.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a 3rd party warranty and not an FR warranty.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said look into and go for the 2nd year from FR - that is not a bad buy. The aftermarket one is a joke. My dealer started out at 2500 and the last # he gave me was 700. I finally went for it and am sorry I did. There are so many exclusions and required maintenance it's a total joke. I did actually get about 250 benefit because of something with my bearings so really I only threw away 450.

If you MUST buy it, just refuse, refuse, refuse when signing and see what the last number they give you is. I'm pretty sure it won't be 1500 ๐Ÿ™‚

oldcat1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
If FR still offers the extra year for $100 then just do that. Otherwise you'll be spending about $2k for a full 3 year warranty which goes into effect from the date of purchase. So in reality comapred to the factory warranty for 2 years it isn't worth it!

And don't ask the salesman or the dealer, they'll tell you that it isn't possible and they never heard of it. Call FR directly about it!

I paid $140 for the second year warranty from FR. During that second year I kept a "punch list" of all the little things that needed repair/replace. At 22 months I took it in to the dealer and had everything taken care of for free. Cheap insurance.

Safe travels.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0
2014 Surveyor Sport 220RBS

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
quote wrote:
Is it worth it?

:R

Invest your money and make it work for you not someone else

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Just my opinion but FR can't be trusted. Bank the money and use it fix the many repairs that will be coming your way that their warranty won't cover.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance