2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
70 REPLIES 70

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
What happens when the road isn't where it is supposed to be? Like in a construction zone where the road was moved over a few feet. I know. The car runs into the guard rail. Seen it happen.

Automated vehicles don't blindly follow a pre-mapped route down to the foot, they have cameras, radar and lidar to help them see.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
kellem wrote:
Awesome! Finally a vehicle that I can drink and ride.....and even text.

That's what I was thinking!
Every time I'm on a road trip and pass a car hauler with an empty slot, I think how awesome it would be to pull up on it, drain a 6er, take a nap and wake up at my destination! I'd even pitch in for gas!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I hope that transportation regulations require those trucks to be clearly marked - including distinctive night lighting - so that the rest of us can stay well away from them on the highways".

X-2, This old man doesn't want to be anywhere near one when Murphy's Law takes over.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Finally a vehicle that I can drink and ride.....and even text.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Just follow the money, the toll roads can stack trucks just a few feet apart while running at full speed, that will maximize the tolls without adding additional lane miles.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
What happens when the road isn't where it is supposed to be? Like in a construction zone where the road was moved over a few feet. I know. The car runs into the guard rail. Seen it happen.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
free radical wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Click

I doubt it will ever be legal not to have human driver on board to take control just in case.

Self driving buses
https://youtu.be/Ci4ekhVSbEI

If the politicians add silly rules, they already have a solution...as a truck driver (rider?) you will be doing data entry or working a call center as you roll down the road.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bird Freak wrote:
How will they refuel?

Truck stops I would expect.

$10 to pay a truck stop employee to work the nozzle will still be far more cost effective than paying a driver for an 8-12hr shift. Plus as soon as the tanks are full, it's on the road making miles, not in the dinner chowing down.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
pnichols wrote:
Scarry is right!!

Imagine how full of integrated circuits, complex mechanical components, and communications equipment (for Internet and/or satellite connectivity) ... those trucks will be full of. All of tlhat can, and will, fail here and there over time.

I hope that transportation regulations require those trucks to be clearly marked - including distinctive night lighting - so that the rest of us can stay well away from them on the highways.

P.S. Maybe I spent too many years working in the integrated circuits industry and too many hours watching those cable reality shows about big rig accident disasters in Alaska - most which have nothing to do with human error - but can be blamed on 80,000 lbs. of freight inter-acting with the laws of physics.

I'll take the rare risk of a circuit board failure over a drive hopped up on speed to put a few more hours in.

People act as if human drivers never make mistakes.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

blt2ski
How many trains are running around seattle on remote control, no drivers. Granted usually going less than 25mph......but heavier, creating more potential damage......
Probably not a big deal, then again........

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think it is more likely that I will fall asleep at the wheel than my autonomous car will malfunction. Even though I love driving I think I will appreciate the new technology when it becomes affordable. Even now I use the lane keeping assist technology.... my wife on the other hand wonโ€™t turn it on.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Vw_triker
Explorer
Explorer
Just thinking about those maxx?? Jet airplanes that had programing issues

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
QCMan wrote:
Typically, the biggest cost in trucking is fuel followed very closely by insurance. Driver cost is nowhere near either of them. I would imagine insurance will leap to first place and leave fuel in the dust. That will surely drive the cost of shipping down. Everyone will want a very expensive cab that can't make enough to pay the bills. I am sure the average less than ten rig company will want to jump on that bandwagon. It will get them out of the rut of just making ends meet.

This breakdown says fuel accounts for about 24% of the cost per mile versus 43% for driver + benefits. Insurance is just 5%.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Lordy...no driver behind A 40 ton OTR rig. If that ain't bad enough we may have 18 year old operating the rig behind it.

I was 18 once..... and I've driven with a Chauffeur license....then a commercial Chauffeur license....then a CDL so I understand skills required.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
And I am thinking the insurance may drop in half very quickly. Some fuel savings should happen immediately as these trucks start to slow down. No need to make time to earn more wage per hour. All time would be regained for elimination of break periods. No need for two drivers to run equipment 24/7. With increased fuel you could run cross country in one swoop, never actually stopping. This would cut the cost of running a refer truck long distance.