cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

keeping things cold

quickrod66
Explorer
Explorer
Just read where keeping things cold in the TT frig. when its hot becomes an issue. What I found that works, before we leave I will fill up plastic zip lock storage bags with ice from the home refrig ice maker. They can be layed flat on the TT refig racks and are not as bulky as frozen bottles. I put them in the upper & lower section with the cold items. Keeps everything cold. and when you get to your destination put them in the upper freezer section for the return trip plus you have ice cubes if you need any during your stay. Although they may melt a little its no big deal, the water is in the bag. great for the cooler, and can be used over.
26 REPLIES 26

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
EnochLight wrote:
if I'm anywhere near direct sun or it's mid-summer here,
I try to park with the refer facing south. Although this is a stimulating discussion, I myself am not sure exactly what situation the OP is talking about.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

EnochLight
Explorer
Explorer
These are all great suggestions - I appreciate this thread! My Dometic fridge is awesome when it's completely shaded and below 80F outside, but if I'm anywhere near direct sun or it's mid-summer here, I struggle to keep it at a safe temp - especially on the road.

I've been considering installing a fan on the outside to draw air up and out, as I heard this helps a great deal, but will switch to putting small bags of ice or half gallon jugs of ice from the deep freezer in the meantime.
2013 Gulfstream Amerilite 16BHC Travel Trailer pulled with a 2008 Ford Escape Limited

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need Op.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably 95% of the guys I worked with used milk jugs filled about 90% full for full jugs of ice and 50% full then fill the rest with water for drinking water during the day.

The log truck drivers did both because of the hot floor board but they had cold water all day long to drink.

The best jug I have found to date for freezing is the one gallon Lipton tea jugs with the green handle. My wife drinks two of them a week and we use the empties for drinking water when out and about and freezing 90% full for free ice for coolers camping. They last about three days in a cheap cooler more in an extreme depending of the heat.

Works great frozen in the RV frig to cool it down or keep it cool,then you have ice water to drink after.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Both of you are right, warm water freezes faster but having the cubes already in the jug helps hold down expansion.

Cranberry juice containers make good ice jugs. They are square and made of heavier plastic so they don't crack when frozen.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
ADK Camper wrote:
If you want to make a block of ice for your fridge or cooler here's a technique I sucessfully use. A large bottle or bread pan, etc may get distorted or even split when the watter expands as it freezes. Furthermore a large volume of water takes a long time to freeze solid. To solve these problems I start by filling the container with ice cubes and then add water. The volume will freeze much more quickly with a minimum of expansion.

Great idea.

Believe it not hot water freezes faster than cold.

Link here: Hot water
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to make a block of ice for your fridge or cooler here's a technique I sucessfully use. A large bottle or bread pan, etc may get distorted or even split when the watter expands as it freezes. Furthermore a large volume of water takes a long time to freeze solid. To solve these problems I start by filling the container with ice cubes and then add water. The volume will freeze much more quickly with a minimum of expansion.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Our solution to keeping things cold in the frig is to turn the frig on and keep it running.

Same here, LPG when on the road and electric when available.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

engine31
Explorer
Explorer
We typically use the 1/2 gal frozen ice jugs to get things cooled down quicker. Our TT is in storage about 120 miles from home so being able to get to it and get the refrigerator turned on in advance almost never happens.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Our solution to keeping things cold in the frig is to turn the frig on and keep it running...

Me too.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
quickrod66 wrote:
Just read where keeping things cold in the TT frig. when its hot becomes an issue.
People are responding as if you turn it off. Is that what you do?

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to be only ice box's in RV's.No gas-elect frigs. Ice tray on top and food below. We built a very large metal container to freeze a huge block of ice that would last longer than the little blocks you get at the store.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
We turn the fridge on a few hours prior to departure or the night before. We stick bags of ice from home in the freezer to help cool it quicker, hadn't thought of putting it in the fridge to cool it quicker too. We would have to remove it when we load it though due to lack of space. 3 1/2 yrs of camping in nc, va, sc, and fl summer heat. We never had an issue with keeping the fridge cold but then again we use our AC as well so it's cold in the tt too. And yes our single 13.5 btu AC kept up well for our 30' tt in those temps too.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us don't have the option or want to take the risk of improperly refrigerated food. Many times while towing the inside of the trailer is 100 degrees and its 110 or more outside. We MUST run the fridge on propane and I don't see a problem with that. All it takes is for your potato salad or whatever to be at ~50 for a few hours and you could be sorry.

At this very moment Im recovering from food poisoning and I wouldn't wish anyones bottom end to go through that either at home or on a trip (that would really suck).