cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Passports...Good-Bad or ???

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at the Keystone Passport travel trailers and was wondering what everyone thought of them. I like the looks and layouts but I don't know much about their reliability which rates high on my scale of importance. Any comments would be appreciated.

Griz14
31 REPLIES 31

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw another delaminated Passport Lite. Looked brand new with walls all wavy and with large bubbles. Just don't see how this is acceptable.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Keystone Hideout 30BHDS. We've had it for under a year but have used it 8 times so far. Build seems nice and no issues so far.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday we just traded our 2010 262 Nomad for a new 2015 Keystone RV Passport East Coast 2810BH. Can`t believe how lite they are. We pick it up next Saturday. Hope it`s a good one!!
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
Our friends have a Keystone Passport. Initially they had an issue with slide that was repaired under warranty. They really enjoy their Passport.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Up wrote:
You may be safe with a stick and tin camper from Keystone but I've seen many more delamination issues on Keystone Laminated build campers(Passports, Outbacks) than other laminated build camper brands. If I wouldn't buy one, I wouldn't recommend one.

BTW, laminated build is a fiberglass thin skin glued onto luan (or other material), then glued onto a frame with Styrofoam insulation that fills the voids. The back side of this is now glued onto another piece of luan decorative interior wall board. All glued together.

I've come to the same conclusion about smooth sided campers in general of any brand. Our next camper will be another stick and metal Jayco. Our '07 smooth sided KZ has been great but the skin is starting to bubble.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

lawdes
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Passport Grand Touring model for several years, and really enjoyed it. It had an axel prob that was corrected under warrenty...in fact they replaced both axels with heavier ones. Generally I think Passport is an entry level type trailer, made of cheaper materials. But except for the axels we had no problems that were not created by ourselves...ie: opening a slideout with a cabinet door open and catching it...duh! We traded it this month for a Grand Design Reflection due to larger tanks and storage, and generally a large step up in finish, details, etc. But...having said that, we really like the Passport, and I don't have anything negative to say about it. But for the small tanks (35 Gals) we probably would still have it. (I did put 15 inch tires on in place of the 14 in)

acritzer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 2008 Keystone Cougar, 29BHS. Admittedly we haven't had it very long, but so far it's been pretty good.
The fixtures aren't "fancy", but they seem more than adequate for camping. Everything has functioning correctly.

The only bad thing so far was a break in the outer wall. After investigating it appeared as though an interior nail or staple pushed out through the fiberglass. I'm hoping it was a one time thing caused by heat or something benign.

beth4652
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2015 Keystone Passport Ultra Lite is working well for us, so far. It has the layout I looked for in a travel trailer for many years. I'm a happy camper.

camp4ever
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a Keystone Passport since 8-13.. So far it's been a rock solid camper, we had a few minor issues at first but the issues were taken care of quickly through the warranty process..
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2004 Ford Explorer w/ Towing Package
2014 Passport 2300 BH

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Have had our Keystone Hideout for 2 years now. Have had no issues with it. Everything works as it should. Have just spent the time personalizing it and making it perfect for us.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

MTHome
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded our 2008 Passport Ultra Light in yesterday. We loved every minute of having it. The unit had 2 previous owners and the only problem we found was that the awning would turn loose on occasion. That was fixed with a bungee cord.

We needed a bigger rig with more seating or we'd have kept the little bugger.

Griz14
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Whenever I read these questions I always wonder if the OP means this RV just in general or compared to other RVs. In general, it's a cheaply manufactured product made with an abundance of particle board, low end cabinets, the lowest cost faucets and fixtures available and basically subpar materials throughout. All that being said, it's pretty much the same as every other main stream TT being made and for what you pay, IMO, it's a great value.

With all of these lower end units it's a bit of a roll of the dice. Every manufacturer turns out problem free units and..... well, others ๐Ÿ™‚

After owning numerous similar units I personally think the best thing is to really look at the one unit you are interested in rather than a brand or manufacturer as a whole. Find a good dealer that is close by for service/repair and do a REALLY thorough PDI or inspection if buying used. I have a very similar TT only made by Forest River. It provides numerous wonderful times for the family and I but I'm never surprised if one of the cabinet doors falls off in my hand ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
I posted the question about Passport trailers in general because my sister in-law is interested in one and asked my opinion. I don't have any personal knowledge about them. I've only owed Northwood products, but they are heavy and not for everyone.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
tragusa3 wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Whenever I read these questions I always wonder if the OP means this RV just in general or compared to other RVs. In general, it's a cheaply manufactured product made with an abundance of particle board, low end cabinets, the lowest cost faucets and fixtures available and basically subpar materials throughout. All that being said, it's pretty much the same as every other main stream TT being made and for what you pay, IMO, it's a great value.

With all of these lower end units it's a bit of a roll of the dice. Every manufacturer turns out problem free units and..... well, others ๐Ÿ™‚

After owning numerous similar units I personally think the best thing is to really look at the one unit you are interested in rather than a brand or manufacturer as a whole. Find a good dealer that is close by for service/repair and do a REALLY thorough PDI or inspection if buying used. I have a very similar TT only made by Forest River. It provides numerous wonderful times for the family and I but I'm never surprised if one of the cabinet doors falls off in my hand ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I love this response! So true. If you can't smile when you're holding that cabinet door, then TT's are probably not for you.

Truth. I love my Passport. I came from a 1988 24 foot Fleetwood Southwind to a 1995 Fleetwood Prowler 5th wheel to the current Passport. The Southwind and Prowler were put together better than ANYTHING we looked at. I wasn't sure what to do...I finally said...Give me the biggest one with the least amount of weight for a gasser 3/4 ton...So now I have the Passport...Season four and it has been great. Separate space for the kids and if stuff breaks...I fix it, have a few adult beverages and move on!
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

I love this response! So true. If you can't smile when you're holding that cabinet door, then TT's are probably not for you.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!