cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kia Sorento as tow vehicle

Odessa_Grandma
Explorer
Explorer
If you were going to tow "something" with a Kia Sorento, what would you choose? Would sure like a potty in the trailer. Other than that, not much other required. Looked at lots of pop ups and they mostly have "cassette pots". Not sure that is acceptable. I think we want to be able to pull up to the dump station and dump, and a door to close while you are doing your business? Some of the pop ups have the shower and potty in a cubbyhole with a vinyl curtain that attaches for privacy. Ugh!!!
Grandma and Grandpa
MO
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 21FBRS
2015 Dodge Ram 1500
39 REPLIES 39

Wildcat63
Explorer
Explorer
I find it interesting that when I looked on the Kia website for England My Kia Soul has a tow rating of 1300 kg (approx 2800 lbs) if the trailer has brakes. No tow rating on the US website even though the vehicle is the same. As for a Sorento as a Tow vehicle, it would probably do fine we had a Chrysler Pacifica with a 3.5l v6 awd and it towed our pop up fine. When we switched to a Ford explorer with a 4.6 l v8 we noticed a difference mainly in acceleration getting on freeways. If you pay attention to merging onto freeways you should be fine.
Wildcat63
07 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1070ST

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll second the suggestion on looking at Livinlite trailers. Very light for the amount of room you have. They have numerous trailers your kia could tow.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Have a look at the Lance 1274 or the Lance 1575. Both are available with tent ends and they both have dry baths w/ real toilets. Lance is into the 2014 model year and offer a 2 year warranty which is rare for a TT mfg.

Lance 1274 Floor Plan

The 1575 has a huge slide, a full sized queen bed and is just lovely:

SPECS AND INFO ABOUT LANCE:

2013 Lance Travel Trailer Line

2013 Lance 1575 Video

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe last August, 6cyl. The Santa Fe is equivalent to the Sorrento. It tows my trailer just great, I don't even know it's back there. Plenty of power. My trailer is about 2,000 lb. You didn't say if you have the 4 or the 6. I would recommend the Casita, they are a very nice trailer. If you want to go retro, check out the new Scotty's. Have fun shopping!
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
No unibody front wheel drive cuv/station wagon can handle our super light weight bwhahaha 5000lb gvw hybrid. It has nothing to do with the weight, it is the barn door effect. It kills the power of a small block v8 forget about a 4 cyl rice burner. A 3200lb pup can consume all the power out of a 5.3 v8 chevy when climbing 10% grades at 15mph. That same 5.3 couldn't do 50mph on the highway downhill with a same weight hybrid. Ever hear a 6.0 liter chevy scream like hell climbing a 7% highway grade at 58mph? I
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Road Ruler wrote:
bakerkids wrote:
Little Guy's T@B trailer now has a bathroom model.

Amazing!... That is good use of space.

I was in a bathroom model this April and was surprised. I didn't think I would like it in a T@B, but I did.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

MizzGrizz
Explorer
Explorer
I owned and towed with a 2004 Kia Sorrrento. I had a Heartland MPG (trailer has a bathroom, albeit a VERY tiny one)and the Kia towed it well. Max towing limit was 3500 and a previous poster was correct in that the newer Kia Sorrentos (2010 and newer I believe) no longer have the towing capacity of the older models so you'll want to make sure you know what yours can tow. I was very happy with the set up but decided I wanted a bit bigger trailer so I no longer own my Kia. However, I LOVED that vehicle and it served me well.

~ Cyndi
Finding Fun in the beautiful Pacific NW

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
bakerkids wrote:

Amazing!... That is good use of space.

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
Sunbird wrote:
Bailey is a British brand and the car appears to have UK license plates. They do things differently over there.

Yes.... because they don't use WDH's it really puts limits on what they can tow.

Sunbird
Explorer
Explorer
Bailey is a British brand and the car appears to have UK license plates. They do things differently over there.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike.t wrote:
Road Ruler wrote:
uscgcolletti wrote:
I own a 2011 Sorento...
you sure it can even tow anything?

Kia Sorento....awarded "tow vehicle of the year".

By whom?

Australia iirc. Ironically just shipping these things down under increases the tow rating substantially.

Thanks
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
bigcitypopo wrote:
If the torque steer is better and the frame is relatively rigid. Great! I loved the HP and handling except for the torque steer..

I'd be concerned with payload and wether you could set up the rear suspension for towing

No worries about payload. I just went and looked. My 2013 Sorento has a payload rating of 1120 lbs or about the same as the Ram 1500 Bighorn.

Like I said earlier, with the right trailer this little four banger Sorento would be more than capable and probably a lot safer than a lot of rigs on the road.

Thanks

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
If the torque steer is better and the frame is relatively rigid. Great! I loved the HP and handling except for the torque steer..

I'd be concerned with payload and wether you could set up the rear suspension for towing
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun