cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lance 1995 Child Restraint System for Upper Bunk

dgcarlson
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpa Dave wants to take his 3-year-old camping...

Here's a strange one. My 1995 Lance Model 880 has an upper bunk above the dinette table for cargo and folds down. The owner's manual describes an optional Child Restraint System that can be installed whenever a young child will be sleeping up there. Of course Lance has no records back further than 2006. So I'm wondering if anyone has information on this assembly construction. I picture a net held in place by a horizontal pole across the top and anchored to the drop-down door. But not sure if the netting is a typical cargo net as used in automobiles, or something tougher than that.

Ideas, anyone?
Dave
2005 4x4 Ford F-350 Super Cab Lariat SRW, 6.0 Powerstroke diesel with 1995 Lance Model 880.
7 REPLIES 7

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Dave,
I made a simple bunk-net for my son's bed from a piece of netting, some webbing, and a few buckles from Seattle Fabrics.
The top "rail" is a piece of 3/8" fiberglass rod inside the webbing.

Cheers
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

bmorkert
Explorer
Explorer
We've never used it for the kids to sleep on, but the net makes for a great place to stow extra gear. Nice thing is that you can put a lot of stuff up there and leave the bunk down while camping as there's still plenty of headroom at the table.
2013 AF 1140DB, Solar, Generator,Thermal Pane Windows, 8cf refer, 3 awnings
2000 F350 Crew Cab Lariat DRW, Rancho 9000XL, Firestone Air Bags, Torklift Tie Downs, Stable Loads, Fast Guns.

bmorkert
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a picture of what it looks like. This is in our 2000 Lance 1140 and I assume it's the same thing.
2013 AF 1140DB, Solar, Generator,Thermal Pane Windows, 8cf refer, 3 awnings
2000 F350 Crew Cab Lariat DRW, Rancho 9000XL, Firestone Air Bags, Torklift Tie Downs, Stable Loads, Fast Guns.

Stanbiker
Explorer
Explorer
It's basically a net with 2 zip openings that is attached to the edge of the bunk on one end, and has a pipe in the other end that goes in brackets like a closet rod. There is 2 twist buckles on the sides to secure it. When you are not using the bunk, it rolls up and is secured with straps to keep it out of the way. (at least in my 94 990)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I'd bet that it doesn't differ much from the net-type restraint Lance is still using in other models- you can see it at about minute 3:40 in this Youtube video.

It's available as an option on new units, and from the description it sounds like the fabric/mesh wall is sewn to the pad covers at the bottom- probably a cross bar at the top? (Options page/descriptor)

You probably could order it from Lance, but at $258.00 I'd think you could come up with something that would work just as well!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Host has a canvas and netting panel that goes from the bunk up to the ceiling and zips. It is like this one from the Host site. The connectors are like these turn button fasteners.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Hawthorne
Explorer
Explorer
We used a folding bed rail, sort of like this 30-second find - Clicky

Ours nearly touched the ceiling, and left just enough of an opening at the foot end to crawl out.

Have fun.
2004 Ford SRW 6.0 PSD Manual, Superhitch, 4400LB Rear Leafs, Airbags
19.5โ€ Visions 265 Hankook DH01's
2003 Lance 1030
1999 GulfStream Conquest E450 31'