cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance Slide-Out Underside Damage....?

NoobCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a 2015 Lance 1685 camper. It is excellent shape inside and out. However when I got down on my back to look under the camper, I could see damage to the fiberglass underside of the slide out.

Where the roller is, you could see black marks from the outside edge of the slide out all the way to the roller itself, that follow the roller track. More troubling is a large piece of fiberglass (3"x4") is just roughly ripped away, in the middle of the underside (not near an edge), exposing the plywood underneath (which is in perfect shape -- no discoloration, etc).

I'm trying to determine what could have caused that. If there is a bigger issue at work, what the potential $$ outlay might be to resolve it.

I welcome any insight. Thanks!

(I will try to post a pic later if I get one)
5 REPLIES 5

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
TrailerTraveler1 wrote:
Hi! The slideout issue is a known issue for Lance travel trailers. Not sure when Lance corrected it, but it sounds like the trailer you're looking at is affected. Our 2014 1685 was affected - same description.

Lance's fix is to send the dealer three metal strips to be affixed on the bottom of the slideout under where the rollers are for the slideout. Not sure the cost if it's out of warranty, although you might call, maybe they'd send the metal strips and you could find out from your dealer the cost to install them.

Our 2016 1685 has no metal strips under the slide. Lets hope they corrected it internally?

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Is your slide a Schwintec? I had a similar problem with my Schwintec slide. One of the rollers was impacted with caulking and would not turn. As a result the slide just skidded over the roller every time the slide moved. I didn't realize it was happening until the underside of the slide suffered significant damage. I was able to cut out the damaged floor section and replace it. I put a piece of aluminum sheeting under the slide where the roller is. I was able to free up the roller and everything works fine now.

NoobCamper
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like exactly the issue and resolution, thanks! I will reach out to the dealer to find out the out of warranty cost and fact that into my decision. Appreciate the quick response.

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! The slideout issue is a known issue for Lance travel trailers. Not sure when Lance corrected it, but it sounds like the trailer you're looking at is affected. Our 2014 1685 was affected - same description.

Lance's fix is to send the dealer three metal strips to be affixed on the bottom of the slideout under where the rollers are for the slideout. Not sure the cost if it's out of warranty, although you might call, maybe they'd send the metal strips and you could find out from your dealer the cost to install them.

Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My bet is that the owner had a tire blow out and come apart...the tire flapping and slapping against the underside of the slide.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro