cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

leave roof vents open during winter?

al7601
Explorer
Explorer
Pro's and Con's of leaving roof vents open maybe a few inches during winter? My TT does have the Max Air vent covers and will also have an Adco cover on.

Is leaving the vents cracked open all winter recommended? I'm up in NJ so we will have snow.

TY in advance
16 REPLIES 16

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Open all year, with fantastic fan covers. Except when on the road.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Mine stay open year round and have maxair vents on them.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
I closed mine last week as where it was parked, Hurricane Matthew was blowing the rain straight at the back of my Maxxis Cover. Other then that, it's open 365 days a year.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
I too have the Max Air covers and have been leaving the vents open all the time, year round. Some dirt and dust blow in but it's no difference then if the trailer door was open. To me, the fresh air smell is a welcoming smell of Spring.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
I leave my bathroom vent with Max Air open all winter. I feel it best to have even minimal air circulation when closed up. Have done this for years with no ill effects. We often get quite a bit of snow here.

X2
We open our vent all the way with Max Air. The first season in the snow, we didn't have a cover and left the vent open. Last year, we used an ADCO cover. Seems fine with the vent open even with rain & snow through the winter.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are putting an Adco cover over the camper, then you should have no problems leaving them open.

I have found that if they are open too much (even with a Max Air type vent), snow can blow inside if the wind is just right. We've also had rain come in when the wind blew just right. So, I keep them closed, keep a couple crank-out windows slightly cracked instead.

This is perhaps the best reason to close them.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We learned not to leave them open in the Arizona area - way too much dust and grit got into the MH while we were gone.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I only close the vents (under MaxxAir covers) during the snow months. Years ago prior to doing this, I found snow had blown in through the vents during heavy wind snow storms.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I leave vents open all the time. The first year that we had our old camper, we didn't. In between trips we would get that dank, mildew smell in our camper even though we didn't have any leaks. I put a vent cover on and cracked a jalousie window for fresh air to circulate and the camper never had that smell again.

To prevent the new camper from ever getting that smell, we leave roof vents and windows open year round. We are now parked under a carport, so I don't have to worry about water intrusion through the windows.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I leave our 3 open all winter, no problems in the last 30 years or so
samsontdog:o:W

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
In our dry climate, we close it up tight.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
most everyone I know, myself included leave our roof vent(s) cracked open in the winter. Does it help? don't know, but none of us have had any issues doing it. But we all have covers over the vents as well. I wouldn't do it without a vent cover.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We do. It may not do any good but there is the possibility of some air movement in/out of the camper to prevent mold. Ours is under a Sunshield tarp.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have never considered my TT to be even remotely air tight. We closed it up for the winter like we do between trips.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.