cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving hot water tank turned on

das
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend, we left our hot water tank turned on all weekend. Our old TT just had a gas hot water tank but the new one has both gas/electric. Was much easier to leave the electric element on instead of using up my gas and turning it off and back on when we need it. Who leaves their tank turned on all the time?
72 REPLIES 72

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
I touch the hot water heater switch on the unit twice a year. When I winterize...I turn it off. When I dewinterize I turn it back on. Its gas/electric and we have full hookups at the house. If we pull over while on the road I just have to throw the (propane) switch inside for hot water.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

Beachums
Explorer
Explorer
This argument looks to me to have an undeniable trend no matter what the reason stated is........ simple math...

.....water heater - someone else's wallet = it stays on
.....water heater - my wallet = it's used only when needed.
2004 Ford Expedition 4X4 3.73 w/quick shift kit
Reese DC Straight Line/ Prodigy P2 Controller
2010 Coleman CT 250 GS

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
pappcam wrote:

Why would anyone bother turning off the water heater, especially if you have electric hookups that you've paid for?? :h

Because propane does not come out of electrical hookups!!

Some of us have a propane only hot water heater. And those of us with MH's don't want to have to break camp to move the RV to get propane.And when I had my TT I hated having to unhook the propane tank and schelp it to get it filled. :W

The OP mentioned leaving it on electric as his water heater was gas/electric. Having a propane only WH would complicate the issue somewhat.

Mine is on electric from the time I hook up to shore power, right to the morning of the day that we're leaving the campground.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi Gary,

No.

2.1 kwh x 12.5 cents = 26.25 X 30 days = $7.87

.7 x 12.25 = 8.76 cents X 30 days = $2.62

Now if you are running a generator to get that energy--the numbers become pretty high. The 2nd way--turning on first thing in the morning I can often use solar power for the energy, so it costs nothing.

If I am traveling I'll use the inverter and alternator to heat the water.

GaryWT wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

On the electric setting the water heater will cycle every four hours and run for about 15 minutes. That represents 90 minute of run time and for my RV about 2.1 kwh. If starting from water 'at the ambient' it takes about 30 minutes to bring the water up to a temperature for a good hot shower in the morning. There is generally enough hot water left to get me to bed time. That represents only 0.7 kwh.

I tend to leave it on if someone else is paying, but will manually turn it off if I am paying.

So when you are paying the that is a 20 cents a day savings assuming your calculation of usage is correct.

Hi, sorry, I used 15 cents per kWh you used a lower number and two different ones but you example is only 17.49 cents a day, I estimated an extra 2.51 cents a day, sorry. Either way it is not that much.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Off.

Only takes one time for the thermostat to go out and it becomes a boiler bomb. Been there done that. Almost burned up the whole side of my RV.

Remember this is not your res hwh that is in the basement. It's right smack up against the walls. You couldn't even hold your hand on the side of my MH the wall was so hot.

And no those relief valves do not always work. And after having the mobile RV repair out to fix HWH......he said the RV relief valves almost always fail to open.

Now that is paranoia and RV Tech hogwash.
RV water heater uses the exact SAME T&P Relief Valve as residential water heaters.......buy them at Lowes/Home Depot/ACE etc.

T-stats......preset for higher water temp than residential BUT still use 2 t-stats just like residential water heaters do, normal temp and a high temp.

BOTH t-stats have to fail and T&P has to fail before water heater can begin to become a boiler bomb (I operated boilers for 30 yrs.)

Hogwash......

Well it was NOT hogwash with my HWH. I saw it fail first hand and felt how hot the walls got.

AND
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28384129.cfm
30' 1990 Fleetwood, Pace Arrow:
I need to replace the pressure release valve on my water heater. T

Guess I am not the only one that needed a new RV pressure relief valve. :W

Well good grief.....his 1990 RV needed a new T&P
Oh the horror, it only lasted 25 yrs. :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Gary,

No.

2.1 kwh x 12.5 cents = 26.25 X 30 days = $7.87

.7 x 12.25 = 8.76 cents X 30 days = $2.62

Now if you are running a generator to get that energy--the numbers become pretty high. The 2nd way--turning on first thing in the morning I can often use solar power for the energy, so it costs nothing.

If I am traveling I'll use the inverter and alternator to heat the water.

GaryWT wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

On the electric setting the water heater will cycle every four hours and run for about 15 minutes. That represents 90 minute of run time and for my RV about 2.1 kwh. If starting from water 'at the ambient' it takes about 30 minutes to bring the water up to a temperature for a good hot shower in the morning. There is generally enough hot water left to get me to bed time. That represents only 0.7 kwh.

I tend to leave it on if someone else is paying, but will manually turn it off if I am paying.

So when you are paying the that is a 20 cents a day savings assuming your calculation of usage is correct.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
If I have paid for a 30a site, then I will have everything running on electric. HW tank goes on the moment we plug in, and off at the end of the trip. When we dry camp, HW tank goes on LP the moment we arrive..and off at the end of the trip. I also drive with my LP tanks open and fridge on from home to site. That about covers all my appliance habits.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
BubbaChris wrote:
pappcam wrote:

Why would anyone bother turning off the water heater, especially if you have electric hookups that you've paid for?? :h

I have the best possible motivation, to keep DW happy. No logic about energy use or time spent waiting can trump that. She can be a light sleeper and can hear it cycle overnight if left on.

How does she hear the electric element turn on/off?

I don't care how she does it. We've been married 26 years. And if giving in on little things like this helps me get another 26 out of this partnership, I'm Golden (especially since the TT camping was her idea).
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Off.

Only takes one time for the thermostat to go out and it becomes a boiler bomb. Been there done that. Almost burned up the whole side of my RV.

Remember this is not your res hwh that is in the basement. It's right smack up against the walls. You couldn't even hold your hand on the side of my MH the wall was so hot.

And no those relief valves do not always work. And after having the mobile RV repair out to fix HWH......he said the RV relief valves almost always fail to open.

Now that is paranoia and RV Tech hogwash.
RV water heater uses the exact SAME T&P Relief Valve as residential water heaters.......buy them at Lowes/Home Depot/ACE etc.

T-stats......preset for higher water temp than residential BUT still use 2 t-stats just like residential water heaters do, normal temp and a high temp.

BOTH t-stats have to fail and T&P has to fail before water heater can begin to become a boiler bomb (I operated boilers for 30 yrs.)

Hogwash......

Well it was NOT hogwash with my HWH. I saw it fail first hand and felt how hot the walls got.

AND
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28384129.cfm
30' 1990 Fleetwood, Pace Arrow:
I need to replace the pressure release valve on my water heater. T

Guess I am not the only one that needed a new RV pressure relief valve. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have propane only and can go 28 days without having to fill up. Just depends on your preferences - the few times i'd have to break camp and get fuel is much less an issue than having to light the pilot every time I want hot water.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:

Because propane does not come out of electrical hookups!!

Some of us have a propane only hot water heater. And those of us with MH's don't want to have to break camp to move the RV to get propane.And when I had my TT I hated having to unhook the propane tank and schelp it to get it filled. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to post a long detailed response.... But I have no time... You see I need some hot water... Gotta go get some sticks and start a fire. Anyone interested in a old unused water heater?:B I also build fires when I am cold, or need to cook. Anyone interested in some old unused propane tanks? (they need recertified) Also have a heater and a stove looking for a new home. With all this money I am saving, this RV lifestyle isn't costing nearly as much as I thought it would. I could have moved up from tent camping years sooner.
This is working out so well, that I want to apply these practices to my stick and bricks home. The savings here can be even greater. As I strip out all of the appliances I am not going to need anymore, my homes valuation should go down saving me tons on property taxes. Finding wood to burn in the city will be a challange. I could probably rob some that isn't really necessary from the house. As time goes on, my taxes will drop even more as my house gets smaller. I am glad I kept that old tent. When I get thru burning the house I can live in it. The money saved will be HUGE!!:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
The reality is there are no water heaters on all the time. The thermostats are turning the heaters on and off in an efficient manner to keep water hot.
The on and off control is automated. The heater turns itself on and off so we don't have to.

Atwood.turn OFF at 140*F........t-stat closes when temp is below 110*F
Suburban. turn OFF at 130*F.....t-stat closes when temp is below 100*F
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
The reality is there are no water heaters on all the time. The thermostats are turning the heaters on and off in an efficient manner to keep water hot.
The on and off control is automated. The heater turns itself on and off so we don't have to.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637