cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED bulb overhaul.... Pics & video

zenbuck
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided to convert all bulbs to LED in my 31 BHPR...

4 lamps used the 1141/1156 style bulb. I replaced them with this.

BS15S 1156 Base Single Contact Bayonet 8-30 Volt 18 x 5050 SMD LED 3.6w Warm White
#B002BN5ZT0
Cool to the touch and say 10% brighter light than the standard bulbs..

Next was the 921's in the domes on the inside + range bulb...

42-SMD T15 12V LED
#0087XOTWW
Huge improvement with these! A nice bright white! I could not believe how cool the fixtures are to the touch.

921's in outdoor kitchen..

68-SMD T15 12V LED
#B0096J90KW
Used a bulb with more LEDS.. Same coolness but brighter for the outdoor kitchen!

Lastly, the 13 interior puck lights...Type G4 Base. I ordered 1 of each version so I could see them shine inside.. The warm white was an exact match to what was factory installed. The cool white was a huge improvement and was what we liked best.

5050 SMD LED, 170 Lumen COOL WHITE
#B00B4351RO
5050 SMD LED, 140 Lumen WARM WHITE
#B009DRKQ1Y
Video links..
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/Pole-Lock/media/IMG_0599_zpsad7a89dc.mp4.html
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/Pole-Lock/media/IMG_0600_zps6ad6eb4f.mp4.html

With the old lighting, you could hear the converter fan kick on. When you turned on another light the fan would get louder.. With the LED's installed the fan is silent!
Cost ranged from 3.75 for the 921's to 8.50 for the 1141's..

The interior is nice and bright!
21 REPLIES 21

Ole_Man_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Caution... If you have the euro type fixtures, it is sometimes hard to remove the lens covers. There are 4 tabs that will shear off if you are clumsy, like I was. (Just one time thou)
One of my lens covers is attached with clear silicon sealant. I applied the rubber cement, put a piece of Duct Tape across the lens to keep it in place until the rubber is hard. Works great.

You can buy replacement lens at Camping World, but why not use the one you already have.
(You can't see the Silicon after it hardens on the rim of the plastic)

The cool white 921s still put out more light than the incandescent bulbs, and the LED bulbs don't get hot.

TexasATM
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of fixture do those puck lights go in? Any chance you could take a picture of each type of bulb and what fixture they go in? I want to do this on my camper, but would like to order them before my next trip so that I can put them in then (will be a while before I get out to the storage site to check the bulb types).

Thanks!
2011 Jayco 32BHDS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
bcarroll wrote:
I tried replacing the bulbs of one light with LED bulbs. Just before I switched the bulbs, I tested the incandescent bulbs- both worked.
I replaced one side with an LED bulb - both lit up.
Replaced the second side with an LED bulb - only one side lit up, second bulb did not light.
Switched the bulbs so that the one that did not light is now in the side that did light...lit up, and the bulb that lit before is not lighting in the one side.
I am not good at troubleshooting anything with electricity...anyone have any idea what it could be?
I was told when I bought the bulbs that sometimes the polarity is reversed and may need to switch the black and red wires from the trailer to the light fixture...could this be the problem?
One side of your light fixture is not in the correct phase. If you have unregulated LED bulbs, the (+) must be to (+) and the (-) to (-). An incandescent bulb will operate out of phase, not so for LED's.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dfonz001
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty neat work all.

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
YES... alot of LED BULBS are polarity sensitive. Especially the non-regulator type. If it is a 921 socket just flip the connection. Other wise you may have to swap the wiring around.
The bulbs I replaced are 921, the LED bulbs have the pinched ends.
I am not sure what you mean by "just flip the connection"...flip the bulb over? The LEDs are only on one side so that wouldn't do me much good.
There is a socket the bulb fits in that has a latch(or a catch) on it...is that what you mean? It seems like the catch would prevent it from being flipped...

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES... alot of LED BULBS are polarity sensitive. Especially the non-regulator type. If it is a 921 socket just flip the connection. Other wise you may have to swap the wiring around.
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

zenbuck
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to list that...All bulbs from Amazon.. Just search the #'s I listed..

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
I tried replacing the bulbs of one light with LED bulbs. Just before I switched the bulbs, I tested the incandescent bulbs- both worked.
I replaced one side with an LED bulb - both lit up.
Replaced the second side with an LED bulb - only one side lit up, second bulb did not light.
Switched the bulbs so that the one that did not light is now in the side that did light...lit up, and the bulb that lit before is not lighting in the one side.
I am not good at troubleshooting anything with electricity...anyone have any idea what it could be?
I was told when I bought the bulbs that sometimes the polarity is reversed and may need to switch the black and red wires from the trailer to the light fixture...could this be the problem?

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Also check out these LEDs.

I've been running their products since 2009 and have been totally satisfied.

Here's my write up:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22909073.cfm
Bob

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
zenbuck wrote:
I have decided to convert all bulbs to LED in my 31 BHPR...

4 lamps used the 1141/1156 style bulb. I replaced them with this.

BS15S 1156 Base Single Contact Bayonet 8-30 Volt 18 x 5050 SMD LED 3.6w Warm White
#B002BN5ZT0
Cool to the touch and say 10% brighter light than the standard bulbs..

Next was the 921's in the domes on the inside + range bulb...

42-SMD T15 12V LED
#0087XOTWW
Huge improvement with these! A nice bright white! I could not believe how cool the fixtures are to the touch.

921's in outdoor kitchen..

68-SMD T15 12V LED
#B0096J90KW
Used a bulb with more LEDS.. Same coolness but brighter for the outdoor kitchen!

Lastly, the 13 interior puck lights...Type G4 Base. I ordered 1 of each version so I could see them shine inside.. The warm white was an exact match to what was factory installed. The cool white was a huge improvement and was what we liked best.

5050 SMD LED, 170 Lumen COOL WHITE
#B00B4351RO
5050 SMD LED, 140 Lumen WARM WHITE
#B009DRKQ1Y
Video links..
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/Pole-Lock/media/IMG_0599_zpsad7a89dc.mp4.html
http://s134.photobucket.com/user/Pole-Lock/media/IMG_0600_zps6ad6eb4f.mp4.html

With the old lighting, you could hear the converter fan kick on. When you turned on another light the fan would get louder.. With the LED's installed the fan is silent!
Cost ranged from 3.75 for the 921's to 8.50 for the 1141's..

The interior is nice and bright!

Ok so from your photos I assumed you purchased from ez motoring (ez-motoring.com) is the site I found. I could not find any of the bulbs you showed on their site. Did I get the wrong place?
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

timjcarter9
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced all 21 inside lights with the soft white 48 SMD panels. More light then before and draws about 1/6th the power.

Also changed the big outside light with a 120 led cob light.

Also added the programmable LED strip lights outside for the light show effect. When I put those to white it lights up our whole camp spot almost like it is day.

All this for under $100 all from EBay. No interderence from these lights.
2003 Avalanche - 4.10 gears
2010 Puma 18DB
Sold - 1973 FMC 2900R

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
For the beginner this is a real easy task. Hardest part is figuring out how to get the plastic cover off the fixture. Bulbs are pretty much pull out the old and slide in the new. Bulbs are classified by the base type. Either wedge base or round base. There also is a bulb number like automotive bulbs ex #1156 is a round base marker bulb that also fits some outside fixtures on campers. Some of the cheaper LEDs are polarity based. So if the don't work in the socket one way, just flip and they will work. Great investment! I use "super bright LED's" or "M4 products". They are a little higher in price but excellent quality and customer service.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

beachlovingmom
Explorer
Explorer
Question from extreme beginner: Is this as simple as just pull out old "hot" bulbs and "plug" in new LED bulbs or is there new wiring involved or ????

Are there simple instructions on line?

How to match up the # from original bulbs to # for new LED bulbs?

I certainly understand wanting to alleviate the heat on the ceiling.

Thanks!

joefrog
Explorer
Explorer
I like the LED bulbs as well. We have a sackful of them from our old camper, but wife doesn't like the color of them, so I have yet to put them into the new camper.