cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

lighting the oven

Crawfordville
Explorer
Explorer
We will be using our oven for the first time over Thanksgiving. I was looking at our stove/oven and I know how to light the stove burners. But I'm unclear about the oven. Is it the old fashioned way where the oven door has to be opened and then a match is placed at the pilot light?

Happy Thanksgiving!
27 REPLIES 27

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you practice baking cookies, cakes, or pies before Thanksgiving. Have fun.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
JordanH wrote:
Thanks! Ive experienced a toilet in a fire, im guessing it would be the same reaction. Wouldn't want that happening in the oven

Took me awhile to figure this out. I kept thinking what had he been eating to get his toilet to catch on fire? Now, I'm thinking you were a fire fighter and went into a home bathroom that was on fire.

Sorry for the confusion lol, I have done firefighting courses but not a firefighter. I experienced it from burning debris from tearing down a home, The toilet was amongst it and the coating flew off it in every direction.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
2012 Lund WC-14 with 2013 Evinrude 15hp
1994 Ford Mustang V6
2014 Nights camping: 10

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JordanH wrote:
Thanks! Ive experienced a toilet in a fire, im guessing it would be the same reaction. Wouldn't want that happening in the oven

Took me awhile to figure this out. I kept thinking what had he been eating to get his toilet to catch on fire? Now, I'm thinking you were a fire fighter and went into a home bathroom that was on fire.

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
1994 Ford Mustang V6

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
JordanH wrote:
I have never heard of putting a pizza stone in the oven to help with cooking, Ill have to try it this spring ๐Ÿ™‚ Here in Newfoundland we enjoy cooking our cook dinner on sundays, maybe this could help in cooking the moose roast!

Pizza stone or unglazed floor tiles make a wonderful heat sink to help balance the temp fluctuation's normally found in an RV oven. If you get floor tiles, be sure to get unglazed or you will be picking shards of exploded tiles up for weeks.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Yes.. Get an oven thermometer. I learned the hard way when I burned some gingerbread I was making.

I use my trailer stove, oven and fridge during Thanksgiving and Christmas, as there is never any room in the house.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
doxiluvr wrote:
I usually have my DH light the oven. Use one of those barbeque gas lighteners as they are longer and easier to stay lit. It takes a while to light. Also make sure the cover is off the burners if you have one, and run the fan on the vent hood/microwave. At least that is what our manual said.

This is what we do. Making sure the vent is running & you have had one of the burners on to make sure the gas has run through the line makes it easier. DH does ours. When I find him w/ his head in the oven, I wonder if he has finally decided living w/ me has done him in. ๐Ÿ™‚

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you light an oven with a pizza stone? :h
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Just convert to electronic ignition.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
If this is the first time baking in this oven don't forget to put a pizza stone or some other heat distributing stone on the bottom rack.

Otherwise, you will have my wife's specialty for Thanksgiving...black bottom rolls.

Anyone want the recipe, just PM me. Apparently, they are easy to do since we seem to have them every Thanksgiving!

Maybe we SHOULD trade recipes as DW's black bottom rolls just aren't as good as they used to be:) :B

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
if you have help let them push the oven pilot button while you lay on the floor to light the pilot light. ovens are a pain in the back side to light.

A tool almost as useful as a flashlight, is a 99cent store hand mirror. Lay it on the bottom of the oven and you can see where the pilot light is and if it's lit.

The mirror is also handy for looking in the back of over head cabinets and when backing the rig up, with a mirror in your hand you can reach and see more than your tow mirror plus look up and down.

Norm (another old guy)
F1BNorm

JordanH
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never heard of putting a pizza stone in the oven to help with cooking, Ill have to try it this spring ๐Ÿ™‚ Here in Newfoundland we enjoy cooking our cook dinner on sundays, maybe this could help in cooking the moose roast!
2001 Dutchmen Sport 25f
2010 Honda EU3000iS
2008 Summit x 800r
2008 Outlander 800XT
2003 HD Heritage Softail
1994 Ford Mustang V6

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
From a 25 year appliance tech. I turn the oven up past pilot to about 300 or preheat temperature and light the pilot this way you have the burner lite flame on also. The main burner will not lite for around a minute normally so unless you have a major problem the main burner will not lite right off since the thermo bulb the wire below the flame needs to be red hot to open the safety valve. Been doing it this way both on home stoves with pilots and all my RVs since I learned how to do this years ago.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
DUNEBUGGYDOUG wrote:
Slide the bottom cover out and you will be looking at the pilot light, no need to stand on your head
Same on ours.