Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long Island Outer Beach Camping

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Hello ,
New to the forum . Came across it and noticed someone had a post about an oddball little trailer , which as it happens , I actually have also. I am curious if there were any other posting on here about the Outer Beaches of Suffolk County Long Island , N.Y. To be more specific , Outer Beach Camping .
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
MP ,
Now I see the Flag !! . Nice ... have not been on here in a while , I actually made 1 Montauk reservation this year. Have not camped there since Way before there were actual spots :^)) . Reservation system in general is , well , you know. I guess some will like Montauk on there , other will not .
Camp On !

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
MP soldier wrote:
Not sure how I feel about the reservation system at Montauk yet.
I have two trips booked this season for MTK.
I guess the days of last minute camping trips to the end are over.

Keep any eye out for my flag, it's the only one of it's kind out there (so far).

Oh no, Montauk is on reservations now? Man that bites.

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
JustALittleBeach wrote:
MP,
Don't know if you had a pic of the trailer and flag up there , maybe it's my computer or good old optimum :R , but can't see it . With us , I guess we are pretty hard to miss ( unless you blink quick ! ). Have not been to Montauk to camp in years . This may be the summer , you never know.
Camp On !

2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
MP,
Don't know if you had a pic of the trailer and flag up there , maybe it's my computer or good old optimum :R , but can't see it . With us , I guess we are pretty hard to miss ( unless you blink quick ! ). Have not been to Montauk to camp in years . This may be the summer , you never know.
Camp On !

MP_soldier
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how I feel about the reservation system at Montauk yet.
I have two trips booked this season for MTK.
I guess the days of last minute camping trips to the end are over.

Keep any eye out for my flag, it's the only one of it's kind out there (so far).
2000 Volvo 770
10 speed Eaton autoshift transmission
Cummins N14

2016 XLR Thunderbolt 420amp Toyhauler
Featuring side and rear deck AND onboard Onan Genny

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like I said, if it gets you on the beach, then it's the right equipment!

Maybe call that TT "son-of-a-beach!"

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks it was Very Basic , but had a Whole lot of fun.
Like I said we did and still only do a few trips a year do to a combination of factors and camp ONLY on the Outer beach . The Monsters out there now are Crazy. I used to kid some ( after taking some myself of course ) that ANYONE could tow with 300+ Horsepower and 12 in wide tires , but only a ( uhum ) pro could do it with 67 hp and NO mods ! having trouble getting the picks up , had the Current camper , which is of course , smaller than most Slides out there now , to stay up ... trying again ... First year back , we were right next to a Monster 5th Wheeler . If you looked at just the right angle , it looked like it was about to eat our trailer ...

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very cool!

We started with a pop-up. We always said, there's no laughing on the beach, it doesn't matter what you bring as long as you can get on the beach!!

Go out there now and everybody has a 5er with 8 slideouts, a 6k generator, and 300 gals of fresh water in the bed of the dually so mama can take her 30 minute showers and dry her hair....plus with the advent of toyhaulers there are a lot of ski-doos buzzing around too....

prm99v6, Smith's Point has a regular CG attached to it, and they still allow driving on the outer beach, but no more camping.

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Problems ... but here's an Old Montauk Outer Beach shot , late 80's , taken from out on the water , lousy quality but ...late 60 (maybe early 70 ? ) something ( I forget exact year) Sprite trailer , and Tow Vehicle Suzuki Samurai

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Nice Beach pics ... Montauk was where we started decades ago , when you could still camp around the the point facing east towards Montauk Pt Lighthouse ... hardly any beach left there at all . Even recall backing into a cut out in the dunes once or twice . Guess Montauk going on the reservation system this year could work out good for you if want to take a trip ! Have Done Mostly Shinnecock since we started up again. Did do Cupsougue a couple of times the first year back , just to get back into it . As the name implies , Now pretty much the Smallest Camper on the Beach ... well even way back when , smallest camper and at that time , smallest tow vehicle :^)) Never invested any Real Money in trailer or Tow Vehicle , as we don't actually Camp at any camp grounds , just the outer beach. May give you , and others I'm sure , a Good Laugh and post a pic or two ... when I am in the mood for abuse that is. :^O

prm99v6
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about that. I thought I heard that Smiths Point stopped allowing it but then that website still listed it. The last time I was there I was in a tent in one of the regular spots. Happy camping!

JustALittleBeach wrote:
Hey,
Thanks for the response . I should have explained better. I guess what I should have said was , new to forum and I was just checking to see if other Outer beach campers came on here to chat. I actually started Outer beach camping back the late 80's ( before the dreaded reservation system ! ). Took a break for a number of years , started back up again about 4 years ago. As you know , Nothing like being right out on the beach ! Smith's Point hasn't had it for a while now , beach has taken a real beating the past few years . although they did open for 2 weeks at the end of Aug a few years back . They have the Regular campground there , so That's their Money Maker. Enjoy your camping and thanks again for the response .

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a few pics from the archives...These are all at Montauk, I actually liked it when they marked the spots, I remember having the ranger tell me to squeeze in between a couple of guys that left a little extra room between their trailers...they were both POd at me the whole weekend.

I'm thinking about making a trip to Montauk for a week, that's the good part of reservations...I guess everything is getting crowded now.

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Burb,
A real shame about the beating Smith point has taken. It was a rather pathetic attempt , that 2 weeks they opened up the Outer beach Camping in 2012 . The Outer beach itself does open but is Always Closing for the Tide and/or Piping Plover nesting. Shinnecock is a beautiful beach , but it was a ZOO last year due to Smith's point being closed most of the summer. We were lucky and got 3 - 4 trips there last summer . Cupsouge is nice , But spots are not On the Beach . Montauk is a Hike . Also with a New Reservation system this year , 90 day in advance now and Montauk is on the System . I guess I will always miss the days of No Marked Spots at Montauk and Real Dunes and the little inlet on the bay side of Shinnecock ... old , who said old :^)) I still get strange looks from people when I say Camping on the Beach , with a trailer . Still we are pretty lucky to have any places at all , that still allow the crazies to drag trailers onto the Beach !!
Happy Camping !