cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at new trucks

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking at getting a new truck (4 door pickup style short bed) and looking at the Ford and the Chevy brands.

The 2500 HD Chevy has a payload of 2493 lbs and a tow capacity of 13,000 lbs

The F150 3.5 Eco has a payload of 2650 lbs and a tow capacity of 11,500 lbs

The F250 Super Duty has a payload of 3000 lbs and a tow capacity of 12,500 lbs

Im thinking the most payload I will need will be around 2400 lbs and the heaviest trailer I would pull would be around 8000 lbs.

I was leaning towards the f250 but that's a big truck. The f150 Eco would be next choice but I like the looks of the Chevy best.
Im thinking the f150 Eco is going to be a better daily driver and better overall mileage when not towing. I'm surprised that the Eco boost is in the mix with the 2500,s.
Guess I'm just looking for some general input or thoughts you might have.
49 REPLIES 49

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
Thanks everyone for the responses.
After doing a little more digging I made a mistake on the Chevy Payload. It is actually closer to 3000 lbs. (I was looking at the wrong engine). I stopped at the Ford dealer and they could not find the EcoBoost with the max payload package anywhere within a 1500 mi of my location (I guess they are hard to find). We looked at the Super Duty and the family were not fans of the interior and look of the truck so it looks like it might be the Chevy 2500 HD. The hardest part of this whole process is dropping 45K on a truck, wow they are $$$$.
Thanks again

My 2500 Chevy was a little over 40K in 09. I bought it 4 years later for half that. 4.10 gears, 3k payload. It is an LT model, probably plain for some, fancy enough for me. It is comfortable, rides well with 285 series tires and very dependable. My wife and kids enjoy the room and feeling of safety. Tows trailers with rock, tractors, skid steers, vehicles and yes, our RV. I won't knock any other models, just tell you about the positive experience with the one we own. Hope that helps.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Keith099
Explorer
Explorer
I found most Ford dealers knew next to nothing about Max Payload or Max Tow packages. Doesn't sound like much has changed in 3 years. Keep in mind, most people buy trucks for the look or to use as a car with bigger trunk.

If you ever have the chance to compare a Heavy Payload and a Max Tow side by side, there's very little difference. With the Heavy Payload, you get 7-lug rims and one more leaf on rear springs that will take load at about 1.25" compression from zero-load level.

Heavy payload does add bigger trans cooler and the 9.75" rear end, but all EB's have the 9.75 already. Max tow get the trans cooler anyway.

I doubt seriously that with an 8,000-lb trailer and WD hitch you'll exceed the payload capacity of the truck. Unless of course you plan to do something like put a golf cart in the bed or something else that's 700+lbs.

More capable solution would be Max Tow with air bags if needed. We have a few of the Heavy Payload 150's at work. They ride rough enough when empty that you can't put a half-full drink in the cup holders.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for the responses.
After doing a little more digging I made a mistake on the Chevy Payload. It is actually closer to 3000 lbs. (I was looking at the wrong engine). I stopped at the Ford dealer and they could not find the EcoBoost with the max payload package anywhere within a 1500 mi of my location (I guess they are hard to find). We looked at the Super Duty and the family were not fans of the interior and look of the truck so it looks like it might be the Chevy 2500 HD. The hardest part of this whole process is dropping 45K on a truck, wow they are $$$$.
Thanks again

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
If I was looking I would wait to see the Nissan xd and tundra diesel. I might get one of them in a few. Years.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

Keith099
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 F150 EB Max Tow Supercrew. I pull a roughly 7,500lb 32' travel trailer with it.

I am extremely happy with it. Would've bought a F250, but I wanted got be able to keep it in my garage. Glad now I don't buy the F250, since it would've been overkill.

I'm now looking at 34-36' toy hauler TT's in the 9,000-10,000b range, and plan to pull them with the same truck. That should tell you how I feel on the truck's capabilities.

As far as finding one, email Ford corporate truck sales(their "contact us" link is on the web site. Tell them you're wanting to buy a F150 Max Tow, but none of your local dealers are really helping out. Include your cell number. I got a call within 2 hours from a very nice lady who gave me the contact info for 2 dealerships who had the exact truck I wanted. Was flying from New Orleans to Nashville 2 days later. The dealership sent a sales rep to pick me up from the airport. Was home a little before midnight. Funny part, I get all the Ford service coupons and such in the mail as if my local dealer is the one in Nashville.

Get the 36-gallon tank. Don't even consider buying any truck for towing with a 26-gallon tank.

If you decide you want more power, look at the 5-star tuning programs and a SCT Livewire programmer. Not out for 2015's just yet, but on my 2012 I run 87 or 89 octane performance/tow tunes. No real change in MPG, but lots more power in the under-3000RPM range.

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
I only test drove Chevy's or Ford's and ended up with two really competent Chevy 1500's over the years. Never liked the Dodge Ram look or finish. Then I actually sat in one and drove it and now I own one. Buy what you need and want but I suggest you try all three first. Trucks of today are not those of yesteryear. Keep an open mind.
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

star_2008
Explorer
Explorer
We have the new Chevrolet Colorado 2015 midsize we ordered it November 3 2014 and took delivery in January of 2015.

This month where on a trip for 15 days and a 1100 only filled up every 4 ½ hours around 410 miles pulling a 2013 Kodiak 241RBSL RV with a weight of 5700 lbs. and 22 for the truck length and 26 for the RV length we did on average of 65-68 MPH and 58-63 though Jellico Tennessee and Kentucky to Roswell Georgia in the Chattanooga Tennessee area.

We had not one issue or problem steady and the seats one issue on a long trip we the best we have ever had just had to stretch a little

jrat
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW I upgraded to a F350 diesel long bed crew cab 4x4. I drive it everyday - better mileage than my friends ecoboosts! And a full load eco boost gets costly - wasn't much more for the 350 when I considered the capability upgrade. I tow a 30' TT @ 7000-8000 lbs. I had a 2010 Ram CTD but the injectors failed right at warranty so I traded the truck in. Ive also had a Ram 1/2 ton - it was ok but towing a 19' HTT maxed it out. I like having lots of payload as my bed is full of******when we go camping!
jrat
That's me, wife and 2 daughters!
2010 Tango 299bh
2010 Ram 3500 Crew cab 4x4 SB Diesel

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Now might be a great time to go shop for an F150 if you're only looking for a half ton. Ford is throwing a whole lot of discounts on them in some regions.

Ford dangles $10K discounts on aluminum F-150

Ford Putting Nearly $11,000 on Hoods of Some F-150s
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
One of the worst v8s I ever owned was a 97 2v 5.4l. I averaged about 7 mpg less than the ecoboost in town and 3-4 hwy. No comparison in economy or power.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Thats right, the CONSUMERS FAIL to READ THE ENTIRE TOWING DOCUMENTATION INCLUDING ALL THE FOOTNOTES that often state..

BASE MODEL, 4X2, REGULAR CAB AND ALL REQUIRED OPTIONS.

The consumer SEEs towing numbers like 10,000, 12,000 lbs towing for a 1/2 ton BUT FAILS TO READ THE FOOTNOTES. Which means that fully decked out Crew cab 1/2 ton is not able to tow that 10,000 lb trailer since all the added items above the BASE MODEL ADDS WEIGHT TO THE CURB WEIGHT WHICH REDUCES THE AVAILABLE CARGO WEIGHT.

I'm going to disagree. You do have to read the fine print but it's not true that the #'s they advertise require a base model.

I'll use my truck, a 2011 F150 Ecoboost. 4x4, Max Tow, Supercrew Lariat with pretty much every option other than navigation, moonroof and man step. Leather, heated/cooled seats, console, etc. Not a base model at all.

Ford specs this to tow 11,300 lbs. From my door sticker, I have 1,820 lbs of payload. My max tongue weight is 1,130 lbs.

So @ 10% tongue, I can pull 11,300 lbs and have 690 lbs of "stuff" in the truck. While probably not great for a family of 4, for me the wife and dog, and a trailer that's max GVWR is 10k, it works well.

The problem becomes finding these specially equipped trucks. I lucked out and found one on the used market.

gunner65
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
gunner65 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
gunner65 wrote:
I was in the same boat. Wanting a tow worthy truck that wasnt an awful daily driver. I went with the F150 EB max tow could not find an HD. As others said getting that published payload will have you searching and waiting or ordering one built to order. That said we love the EB for towing and for daily driving. If you are not intending on upgraded the camper the EB max tow will suit you just fine. My TT is about 7500lbs so its close to what you are pulling.

I don't consider my F250 a "awful daily driver".. In fact it IS my "daily driver" to the tune of 100 mile round trip every day.

I easily put 20K miles a year on my truck just for getting to and from work.. Ride is firm but not over the top harsh, even my coworker the I ride share with likes it BETTER than his Honda! I can say that I agree with him, I don't care for his Honda which seems to make even small pebbles on the road seem like you just hit a board..

I personally am not a fan of soft riding vehicles, to me they just are wallowing around and feel less stable. Too squishy of a ride makes me get a bit queezy..

Well I like my plush ride and 20 mpg to each their own. I drove an F-250 for 3 weeks (borrowed from relative) hated it for around the town driving and didnt really tow my trailer any better so for my comparison the F-150 was far superior for my needs.

I owned a 97 Ford "heavy half", bought a 2003 F250 and found there was almost NO DIFFERENCE in the ride.. The F250 was a little firmer than the heavy half but not like a bucking bronco..

I also have a 2006 F250 and a 2013 F250, the 2013 F250 actually rides a bit softer than the 2006..

These vehicles are not from the 1980s in ride comfort (trust me on that one), I remember when my Dad bought a 1980 F350 to replace his 1974 F250 camper special.. Talk about a rough ride, that 1980 road like you had no suspension..

You based your opinion on ONE vehicle and three weeks time..

The problem with that is you don't know how much air pressure may have been in the tires.. That MAKES A BIG difference in the ride..

Many folk often keep the max pressure in the tires when not loaded..

Unloaded I DROP the tire pressure from 80 PSI down to 65 PSI, difference in ride comfort is huge not to mention tire wear is much better..

As far as mileage goes, well your not getting all that much better unloaded than my F250 when you take into account my F250 has a curb weight of at least 1,000 lbs MORE than a F150!

AND I hate to break it to you.. your 20MPG is very putrid considering my old 97 heavy half with 5.4 got me 17.1-17.5 unloaded! You spent a lot of money to get a paltry 2.5 MPG better..

I am fine with getting 15.5 MPG and I paid nearly $20K LESS for my F250 than what a Eco F150 with max payload option would cost.. That $20 K "savings" I got WILL BUY A LOT OF GAS!! :B

So glad you know me so well how do you know what I paid for my eco? How do you know what tire pressure I was running? You assume so much but really know so little.
Im very happy for you and that you are happy with your purchase. I am sorry that you are offended by my personal experience with my ecoboost and the F-250 I borrowed.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
gunner65 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
gunner65 wrote:
I was in the same boat. Wanting a tow worthy truck that wasnt an awful daily driver. I went with the F150 EB max tow could not find an HD. As others said getting that published payload will have you searching and waiting or ordering one built to order. That said we love the EB for towing and for daily driving. If you are not intending on upgraded the camper the EB max tow will suit you just fine. My TT is about 7500lbs so its close to what you are pulling.

I don't consider my F250 a "awful daily driver".. In fact it IS my "daily driver" to the tune of 100 mile round trip every day.

I easily put 20K miles a year on my truck just for getting to and from work.. Ride is firm but not over the top harsh, even my coworker the I ride share with likes it BETTER than his Honda! I can say that I agree with him, I don't care for his Honda which seems to make even small pebbles on the road seem like you just hit a board..

I personally am not a fan of soft riding vehicles, to me they just are wallowing around and feel less stable. Too squishy of a ride makes me get a bit queezy..

Well I like my plush ride and 20 mpg to each their own. I drove an F-250 for 3 weeks (borrowed from relative) hated it for around the town driving and didnt really tow my trailer any better so for my comparison the F-150 was far superior for my needs.

I owned a 97 Ford "heavy half", bought a 2003 F250 and found there was almost NO DIFFERENCE in the ride.. The F250 was a little firmer than the heavy half but not like a bucking bronco..

I also have a 2006 F250 and a 2013 F250, the 2013 F250 actually rides a bit softer than the 2006..

These vehicles are not from the 1980s in ride comfort (trust me on that one), I remember when my Dad bought a 1980 F350 to replace his 1974 F250 camper special.. Talk about a rough ride, that 1980 road like you had no suspension..

You based your opinion on ONE vehicle and three weeks time..

The problem with that is you don't know how much air pressure may have been in the tires.. That MAKES A BIG difference in the ride..

Many folk often keep the max pressure in the tires when not loaded..

Unloaded I DROP the tire pressure from 80 PSI down to 65 PSI, difference in ride comfort is huge not to mention tire wear is much better..

As far as mileage goes, well your not getting all that much better unloaded than my F250 when you take into account my F250 has a curb weight of at least 1,000 lbs MORE than a F150!

AND I hate to break it to you.. your 20MPG is very putrid considering my old 97 heavy half with 5.4 got me 17.1-17.5 unloaded! You spent a lot of money to get a paltry 2.5 MPG better..

I am fine with getting 15.5 MPG and I paid nearly $20K LESS for my F250 than what a Eco F150 with max payload option would cost.. That $20 K "savings" I got WILL BUY A LOT OF GAS!! :B

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
kodiakcanuck wrote:
To the OP, are you looking at 2015 trucks and payloads? 2015 Ram's have up'd they payload on many models from 2014 to compete with the over inflated payload numbers from the other manufactures, and Ram did this without changing anything to their suspension for 2015. I think some of the manufactures (uhmm - Ford) have been always boosting the numbers to max high end. This article confirms the new standards truck manufacturers are adhering to.

Umm.. Inflated numbers? really?

One could easily make the argument that ALL the manufacturers are GUILTY of overstating the tow ratings BUT the BLAME FALLS ON THE SHOULDERS OF THE CONSUMERS.

Thats right, the CONSUMERS FAIL to READ THE ENTIRE TOWING DOCUMENTATION INCLUDING ALL THE FOOTNOTES that often state..

BASE MODEL, 4X2, REGULAR CAB AND ALL REQUIRED OPTIONS.

The consumer SEEs towing numbers like 10,000, 12,000 lbs towing for a 1/2 ton BUT FAILS TO READ THE FOOTNOTES. Which means that fully decked out Crew cab 1/2 ton is not able to tow that 10,000 lb trailer since all the added items above the BASE MODEL ADDS WEIGHT TO THE CURB WEIGHT WHICH REDUCES THE AVAILABLE CARGO WEIGHT.

The numbers that the manufacturer CAN NOT "INFLATE" are clearly listed on the drivers door post. That is the GVWR, Axle GVWR, CURB WEIGHT and in newer trucks the CARGO WEIGHT IS CLEARLY SPELLED OUT.

Those numbers ARE "CERTIFIED" to be true and correct for that vehicle by the manufacturer. Each and every thing you put on or in the vehicle now becomes cargo and is subtracted from the available cargo weight.

You CAN easily figure out how much weight you can tow by finding the cargo weight. The tongue weight becomes "cargo" of the tow vehicle..

So, say a manufacturer states 10,000 lbs towing they would have to allow for 1,500 lbs of tongue as "cargo"..

Technically as long as your vehicle only has you the driver and a full tank of gas you "could" in theory tow that with a vehicle that has only 1,500 lbs available "cargo" PROVIDED you don't add passengers, gear or even a potato chip to the vehicle..

Pretty much EVERY "half ton" truck now days will fall into this category since most half tons have at least 1,600 lbs of "cargo" payload available IN THE BASE MODEL.

In the real world you would almost never tow with no passengers, nor would you not have "gear" in your vehicle.. Nor do most people buy a BASE MODEL..

READ THE FINE PRINT, THE INFO IS THERE..