cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to purchase a travel trailer

sparkylola
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, my name is Rose and I am retiring in one year, I have been looking at the Winnebago Minnie Winnie and Lance both seem to be all weather terrain durable, I just bought my Silverado 1500 LT to pull it so now I'm hoping to buy my first travel trailer at the end of the year, I am a single women traveling alone and know nothing about travel trailers but I am eager to learn and looking forward to traveling in my retirement years, meeting new people and seeing the sites of our planet!!! Does anyone have advise first of all on which of the 2 travel trailers are best. Thanks so much for any input you all may have.........:@
61 REPLIES 61

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I often use KOA for one night stops while traveling from one destination to another. Every KOA I have stayed in, met my expectations. Every one was clean and well run.

One thing I like about them is their online reservation system works correctly. By choosing where I am going to land for that night, I can lock in a reservation before departing in the morning. One advantage of this is usually I can lock in on the lowest price site in the campground. Sometimes if you just roll in late in the day with no res, the less expensive sites may already be taken.
I prefer sites that are back-in, away from crowded area, and usually all I need is electricity.
Having the KOA member card gets me a few dollars off each night.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
My advice, take it or leave it, stay away from the KOA, Thousand Trails, and all the other memberships. Just not worth it.

Passport america can be a bargain.
bumpy

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
My advice, take it or leave it, stay away from the KOA, Thousand Trails, and all the other memberships. Just not worth it.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
sparkylola wrote:
Thank you very helpful, I noticed you are good sam member, is it worth joining there are so many like KOA's and another that is very expensive happy trails I think, not sure of the name but it's like 500.00 to join, just don't know if it's worth it.

I only join things like that if they are very cheap. The KOA thing works for me, because it's only like $25 year, so a few nights worth of discounts more than pays for it.
Same with good sam. Several times when buying something at camping world, they have added another year to my membership for no added charge, so it too has been worth it for me.

The expensive one, you may be thinking of thousand trails ( not sure if that is right ? ), I think it's more like a time-share type deal so I'd say it's a case of really checking all the details of that.

sparkylola
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very helpful, I noticed you are good sam member, is it worth joining there are so many like KOA's and another that is very expensive happy trails I think, not sure of the name but it's like 500.00 to join, just don't know if it's worth it.

fpmtngal
Explorer
Explorer
The Lance 1685 works well for me as a solo female. It has a lot of storage space - I think I'd run out of weight before I run out of space! It's also easy to tow, it's nicely balanced. And I had my sister with me for 3 weeks this summer while traveling through the Canadian Rockies and it worked out well.

I have no trouble getting to the bed or fridge with the slide closed, but it could be a tight fit for some people. If I were to overnight somewhere that I wouldn't put out my slide, I'd have no issue with sleeping on the bed. The access door is in the rear of the trailer so an easy straight shot to the bath for quick breaks anywhere.

Good luck with your decision!

sparkylola
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
sparky,

There is a Lance Owners of America (LOA) Group

Lance Group Link

You might check that out possibly

You can also reach the dinette to sleep on en-route. Just have it made into the bed configuration before you depart.

That and the tons of storage available in this model is an "all winner" thing!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
sparkylola wrote:
Question, does Lance make Creekside 20FQ?

I think Creekside is a former product line of Outdoors RV corporation.

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
sparkylola wrote:

Not that I'm aware of

sparkylola
Explorer
Explorer

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
sparkylola wrote:
Thank you I'm excited to start my new adventure with my lil Shih Tzu, now I'm leaning more towards Lance with what I'm seeing so far I'm impressed, also I will go to different dealers and check them out personally.

Check out Outdoorsrv Creekside 20FQ. There are dealers in CA. They also came out with a new Creekside model in the 18' range.

sparkylola
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I'm excited to start my new adventure with my lil Shih Tzu, now I'm leaning more towards Lance with what I'm seeing so far I'm impressed, also I will go to different dealers and check them out personally.

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Now I'm over on the Winnebago web site looking at Micro Minnies.
๐Ÿ˜„ I like the 1706FB.

I want a lightweight trailer but do like the extra strength of a double axle. Better 2 axles with a light load for each than one loaded to the max. Plus the double axle is a huge advantage in case of a flat/blowout.

Try a Lance 1685. Two axles and lightweight too!

I like that floorplan generally but looks like access to the bathroom and kitchen area would be almost impossible unless you put the slide out. That's a deal killer for me, which is a shame. Otherwise I would be all over it.
On the 1685, access to the bathroom is 100% and access to the fridge is wide enough to get a gallon of milk out (that means almost anything you have in the fridge you can get out) and access to the stove/microwave is also 100%
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
Now I'm over on the Winnebago web site looking at Micro Minnies.
๐Ÿ˜„ I like the 1706FB.

I want a lightweight trailer but do like the extra strength of a double axle. Better 2 axles with a light load for each than one loaded to the max. Plus the double axle is a huge advantage in case of a flat/blowout.

Try a Lance 1685. Two axles and lightweight too!

I like that floorplan generally but looks like access to the bathroom and kitchen area would be almost impossible unless you put the slide out. That's a deal killer for me, which is a shame. Otherwise I would be all over it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board