cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Making Oil

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I see on another forum where owners report of showing more oil on their dipstick at the end of a long hard drive than at the beginning. Mostly with turbocharged engines. Anything to this or explanation?
37 REPLIES 37

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
Dufus wrote:
I had a transmission modulator valves go south and fill the crankcase with transmission fluid.

That brought back long gone memories.
BTDT....along with ruined spark plugs.
Very typical of our older gen auto trannies as just about all of them had the valve.
Tell tale was a puff of blue smoke on start up which many just ignored for various reasons, till fluids came out the engine oil dip stick tube.

Most times you would burn or smoke the trans fluid. Or the cooler leak fluid into the radiator. For years gas in the oil would be the first indication the fuel pump was going out.

Story I heard after Dad passed; He was fed up with the neighbors bragging about their great gas mileage. He bought Mom a Chevitte. Then once a month he would stick a hose in the tank, MT 5 gal can into is van. Took about 3 months before one asked him why. "If I don't drain some out once in awhile it will run over!"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Dufus wrote:
I had a transmission modulator valves go south and fill the crankcase with transmission fluid.

That brought back long gone memories.
BTDT....along with ruined spark plugs.
Very typical of our older gen auto trannies as just about all of them had the valve.
Tell tale was a puff of blue smoke on start up which many just ignored for various reasons, till fluids came out the engine oil dip stick tube.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
MARKW8 wrote:
I had an 08 Duramax with 140k on it when I traded it. I always joked about it making oil.

My 2009 has just under 70k miles and I've never added oil to mine either.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
miltvill wrote:
I had the same issue with my 2008 Chevy 2500 Duramax. This was a well documented issue at the time. During regen fuel is injected into the piston during the exhaust cycle which which pushes unburned fuel through the exhaust system into the DPF where it burns the diesel particles. Some fuel would find its way back into the oil.

This was the LMM Duramax - 2007.5-2010 model years

miltvill wrote:
The problem was corrected in later years by injecting fuel into the manifold during Regen.

This was the LML Duramax, 2010-2016. It has the DEF system.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Mercedes does not like Bio diesel because it contaminates the oil and causes cylinder wash down. They specifically tell you to keep a close eye on the oil level if you constantly run Bio and if it rises, change the oil.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 08 Duramax with 140k on it when I traded it. I always joked about it making oil. I never, ever had to add anything. I had 4 oil samples done by Blackstone and fuel contamination was never a problem.
Mark

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dufus wrote:

Technically this is possible, but youโ€™d have to drive a while with the engine running like ____, exhaust smoking from the atf ingestion and a poorly shifting trans to put a bunch of atf in the crank case.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Dufus wrote:

Interesting, what vehicle?
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dufus
Explorer
Explorer
Full timer
2013 Excel 36GKM Limited
1997 Freightliner FL50 CAT 3126 w/ Allison 6spd Auto
2007 Toyota Camry
2004 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan Trike

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Or we can just speculate...

Dude... this is the tow vehicle section of RV.net. If it wasn't for wild speculation, there wouldn't be a need for this section.

Wins best laugh of the morning award.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
TomG2 wrote:
I see on another forum where owners report of showing more oil on their dipstick at the end of a long hard drive than at the beginning. Mostly with turbocharged engines. Anything to this or explanation?

After 3 pages of comments, most of which have nothing to do with the ecoboost, in general, if you check oil immediately after shutdown, it may read low as all the oil hasnโ€™t drained back. A little low.
Your description makes no sense, but either your eco is making oil or itโ€™s not, so is it?

I donโ€™t know ____all about ecos but 5 min on the old googler told me there is a tsb for the 11-14 models they are making oil. Has to do with cold engine fueling. COLD like winter up north, not chilly down south.
And thereโ€™s also an issue with some HPFFs.

But there is no โ€œtemporaryโ€ high level that magically goes away unless you check the oil parked the wrong way on a slope!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Or we can just speculate...

Dude... this is the tow vehicle section of RV.net. If it wasn't for wild speculation, there wouldn't be a need for this section.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
I was taught to check oil when it was cold for an accurate reading ?

YES and on level ground.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same issue with my 2008 Chevy 2500 Duramax. This was a well documented issue at the time. During regen fuel is injected into the piston during the exhaust cycle which which pushes unburned fuel through the exhaust system into the DPF where it burns the diesel particles. Some fuel would find its way back into the oil. Many people corrected this issue by deleting the DPF and reprograming the engine.

The problem was corrected in later years by injecting fuel into the manifold during Regen.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB