Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manual transmission conversion to Automatic Transmission

West_Beachhouse
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your feedback.
We have a 2004 Dodge Diesel Quad cab Cummins 5 speed manual transmission. 100K miles. In great condition. DH has customized the truck, lots of compliments. Due to health issues we are looking into converting to automatic transmission. DH would like to have an Allison transmission installed.

My question, are you aware if this is possible? Several diesel shops in our area have stated the computer system in the Dodge is not computer savey with the Allison. Your thoughts.

West Beachhouse
19 REPLIES 19

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the health issues of the OP are with the wrench Turner, then forget it. If one has to pay for most of the labor, it will cost around 15K or more. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
The OP probably doesn't have enough money for this.......

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
For all you naysayers, citing computer/electrical problems, I hope you are aware that there were Allison transmissions BEFORE computers!
To the OP, get an Allison hydraulically controlled transmission with no computer inputs or outputs, and it will bolt right to the Cummins engine, with the proper converter drive plate(flywheel). Now, that being said, I do not know if the floor pan of the Dodge will have enough room for the Allison, that may require some fabrication work to enlarge the transmission tunnel. There is also a good chance that custom driveshafts may have to be fabricated.
As has been stated, it CAN be done, it HAS been done, and it will quite likely be done again (I just might do it myself one of these days).
All it takes is the will to do it, time, and money. Just a semi-uneducated guess, but I would say less than $10K, and about a month for the actual work.
Let us know if you do it, and post pictures. Like I say, I might want to do it on my truck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 to trade the truck.
Probably easier to duplicate the custom work you like on the new truck vs new transmission in the old.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
You'd be better off just getting another truck.

That.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not cost effective, but possible. Alli conversions require, along with fab work, a stand-alone TCM. 48RE swap is easier but still$$$$. Youโ€™ll spend 5grand easy just for a good trans+ all the labor and parts. Youโ€™ll recoup $2-3k on the manual if itโ€™s a 5600 not a 4500. Thought all 04s were 6 speeds....
I like my toys and vehicles and tend to get attached sometimes, but thereโ€™s enough nice pickups out there that finding a comparable auto truck and selling the stick would be cheaper easier and less issues that are inevitable with one off custom work.

You could sell that truck for more than the cherry 2nd gen dually I posted below.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Swap in the stock 48RE 4spd auto trans. There have been quite a few people changing transmissions on the 3rd Gen Cummins. Some of them are pairs of guys getting together and swapping each other the necessary parts.
You could even get away without swapping the steering column and doing a floor shifter.
What your husband is thinking of doing has already been done numerous times.
The Allison trans WILL require a standalone controller, and that will depend on what model you end up with. Using the stock 48RE will be a direct bolt on because the truck is already designed to accept that trans. Any other will require more work for crossmember, adapter(s). If truck is 4wd, using a different trans complicates and increases the cost of the install.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
No experience in this but just a thought. My DP is a cummins 5.9 mated to a 3000 series 6 speed Alison automatic. Not sure what cummins is in your truck but I would guess there is a delivery truck, MH, or something else out there that has the same motor with an automatic. Might be able to get the necessary parts, programs from one of these. Emissions might be a whole other story.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I know it is hard for some to grasp, but it's not always about the money. If this is what your DH wants to do, and he really likes the truck with the exception of the standard, I say do it! As the link that is posted above demonstrates, it has been done, and can be done in the future. If it will not be a financial burden and you don't expect to get your money back, then why not? Sometimes it's nice to have something custom that no one else has, and a cummins/Allison would be quite rare.

With all that being said, how about some pictures of your custom truck, bet I am not the only one here that likes to see custom trucks.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You'd be better off just getting another truck.

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned not as easy as it sounds however if you are wanting to seriously check into it take a look at some of the dodge CTD forums such as turbodieselregister.com dieseltruckresource.com or cumminsforum.com. You will find threads about swapping out manuals to automatics with some searching. You will find it easier to swap in a dodge auto than an allison but it can be done.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
Another tough part is finding a shop willing to work on it once it's converted.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done this with a friends car. Lots of work for sure or lots of cash if you don't turn wrenches. On an old truck like my 69 it's pretty easy for the most part and straight forward. With the newer trucks, it's a lot of time and results don't always impress in the end. Being that he has this current truck with a standard, should not be hard to sell. I would for sure sell and then buy the one that fits for your situation if you don't have a donor truck and don't want to turn wrenches.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
That truck will bring top dollar the way it is if it's a short bed and 4WD.
Then you can go buy whatever truck you want. Maybe a Class A would be a better choice if health issues are rearing their ugly head.
Puma 30RKSS