cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manual vs Automatic transmission in TV

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be beneficial to have a manual transmission in the TV to help with getting the trailer up steep mountains?
Still having fun!
71 REPLIES 71

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
chevor wrote:
660,000 miles and counting on GMC with automatic Allison Transmission.

That's nothing. Our local airport shuttle has one International bus with over 3-million on the original Allison transmission. I suspect its probably a 2000 series though. They rebuild the engine every 1-million miles.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

E_J_push_n_wind
Explorer
Explorer
DessertSpooners,

I think you pretty much got the answer to your question.

RJCorazza wrote:
My previous truck was severely derated by the manufacturer if equipped with a manual transmission. Auto transmissions have come a long way over the years with computer controlled tow/haul modes, 6+ speeds, ability to manually shift, and lock out higher ranges.
I still like manuals, but I would have to say that they are not going to out perform an auto. IMHO.

That said, I've often wondered why to this answer? Just to use as an example, semi's. The manual tranny still remains to be more efficient and you have a whole lot of forward gears to choose from. As far as light trucks and modern transmissions, there are manual transmissions with as many as 8 forward gears now rivaling the auto tranny's with as many forward gears as well.

So the question is why the "de-rating" of light trucks when equipped with a manual tranny as an option? I know one of the "weak links" is the clutch assembly in a light truck manual transmissions. That could be easily overcome in the mfg process. Personally, I would prefer a manual tranny when it comes to towing. You just don't have it as a viable option in today's light trucks.
Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. To know is not to be wise. Many men know much, and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
As much as I had to say it - modern tow vehicle automatic transmissions like the 6 speed in my Ram and the Tow/Haul settings for the engine computer are a LOT smarter than I am.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, that range of TT lengths can be anywhere from #5000 to over #10,000... ๐Ÿ˜‰

You need to find the trailer of your dreams first and that will give you the weight of the beast and then you go from there..

You can overheat any vehicle towing up a grade if you don't know how to manage it going up.. ๐Ÿ˜‰ There is a lot more to towing up the grades then just putting the pedal to the floor.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lots more to know going down the grade too.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Granted, today's new tow vehicles give the driver a lot of help in this department, so there is a lot the driver doesn't have to "think about" anymore.. Heck, there are cars that will parallel park for you! I had to do that manually to get my drivers license many moons ago! I wonder if they still test for that, or if you have a car that can do it automatically, if they just let you use the car?? ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, it's great that you are asking these questions first! Lots of experienced folks here and we all started never knowing ourselves!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I thought about a stick for a minute then thought about my old body and said no way. This year I ended up with a nerve issue in my back and would hate to be doing anything more than riding with the cruise on. If it was my left leg I wouldn't be able to drive if it was a stick.

Resale will be worse with a stick too.

Tow/trailer package with gear shift selector on the gear selector lever or steering wheel.

DesertSpooners
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. We will need to match a TV to a TT which will be used in the mountains during the summer. We will only use it for a few nights at a time and are considering 25 to 28 feet. Nothing fancy but we will need to be able to climb without overheating.
Still having fun!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be just fine!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
660,000 miles and counting on GMC with automatic Allison Transmission.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe 30 years ago... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Today's automatics have more torque capacity and more gears than manual transmissions of 10 years ago. power is not a problem climbing hills with either. Ford and GM do not offer manual trans in their full sized pickup now and few people complain. Get a manual because you like driving one. Do not get a manual because you think it's quicker or more reliable.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
No.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
My previous truck was severely derated by the manufacturer if equipped with a manual transmission. Auto transmissions have come a long way over the years with computer controlled tow/haul modes, 6+ speeds, ability to manually shift, and lock out higher ranges.
I still like manuals, but I would have to say that they are not going to out perform an auto. IMHO.