cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum towing

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. It's been awhile since I've been here and I had forgotten how much fun this forum can be. Awhile back we decided to buy another travel trailer and we picked out one that weighed #5700 with a tongue weight of just under #800.

We purchased a new half ton Hemi crew cab with every available towing option including 3.92 gears, Ram rates it to tow #11,400 with a bed capacity of almost #1800.

Since we got this truck we started thinking maybe we could tow a little bigger camper and are wondering what would be a comfortable match to this particular vehicle. If you are towing with a 3.92 Hemi truck I would love to hear your story.

I am not into anything approaching it's maximum values as I don't want to hear the engine screaming up every hill, just wondering if #7000 or even #8000 trailer was a reasonable option. I will say when I'm towing my small tractor and bush hog on a #1550 tandem trailer (total weight of about #4500) you can barely tell it's back there.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Shopping for Travel Trailer
32 REPLIES 32

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Mitch, it likely wasn’t a mid-understanding, as Terryallen has been the consummate pessimist, in that everyone but him is overloaded. I’ve seen multiple thread where he’s dogged someone with virtually the same setup as him, as if the person was trying to tow a 5ver with a Ford Ranger.
Besides it’s not like you don’t have the specs for your setup AND a picture in your sig.
pic is worth 1000words and you actually have one!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
MFL wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
Please show me your work on that math that I am 3,000 over weight on my combo Terry?

I do include the TW of the trailer on the trucks payload too.... I've been around the block a few times and here longer than you have been... ha, ha... Mitch

remember. I said if you load both to max. And IF your 11,300 is the GCVWR. Which I admit seems pretty low. I could have read it wrong. If it is not. Then my figures are wrong. I been wrong before.

Your truck if loaded to max is 7700lb. your trailer if loaded to max is 7000lb. that is 14,700lbs. Your max GCVWR, is 11,300. According to you post. Unless I miss read it.
So together your TT and TV weigh in at 14,700lb subtract the GCVWR of 11,300 from that, and you have 3,400lb that the truck is over the GCVWR. Like i said. If that is not the GCVWR. Then my figures are not correct.

Terry...you did take the numbers wrong. I looked at the same truck as Mitch has back in 13, so very familiar with the numbers. The tow capacity is 11,300, and the GCVWR S/B 17,000+. I did buy a new 250 instead, but the 150 with max tow and 3.5 Eco is a very stout truck, with lots of upgrades for HD towing.

I was wrong once myself, though! No harm.

Jerry

My bad.

Thanks MFL for replying on my behalf. Terry, I'm sorry if I made it seem like my GCWR was the "tow rating" number I quoted on my 13 F150.. Even my old 97 F150 had around a #12,500 GCWR, yet that old #5000 Prowler was as much as I wanted to tow with it! It also only had a #6250 GVWR on it! No payload sticker back in 97, but it was over payload back in the day! 🙂

The 13 tows the new Rockwood just fine. But, as was said, I would not really want to go much heavier with it and still have a comfortable tow for my taste.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Why wouldn’t ya? If you have the means, I mean.
Heck, do you still brew coffee in a blue enamel percolator on the coal stove?

I’m old enough to remember when 300hp out of a gasser truck was a dream (but not old enough to remember the first time it was a reality, lol).
I don’t push mow 5 acres with a reel mower. I don’t cut firewood with a bucksaw. I don’t make my own arrows out of willow branches and I don’t tow with something better suited for gramma going to the bakery in!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Time is money with a semi and they seem to be OK with going slower up the hills. Why are we constantly in such a rush as an RV traveller....

Somehow over the course of the past decade or so. People seem to have equated towing capacity as the ability to maintain the speed limit over every hill/mountain imaginable. With the ability of going 0-60 in under 10 seconds. And let's not forget to ignore the dyno chart of the engines. Because even though it says maximum hp at 4,500 rpm you better never reach those revs.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Time is money with a semi and they seem to be OK with going slower up the hills. Why are we constantly in such a rush as an RV traveller....

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
richclover wrote:
Published truck capacity is one thing. Engine performance is another.

Lotsa discussion about half ton trucks towing at capacity. My concern would be engine performance. I’ve been loaded heavy in a Dodge 2500, gas 5.7l, doing 25 mph in the right lane, engine “screaming”, getting passed by 18-wheelers doing 35. On the hills, I-80 in WY.

There is no substitute for power. 7000# and up trailer, I’ll take the diesel. Cruise control set 65-70, long hills on I-15, UT, and watch it run.

JMHO.

PS My next truck will be a 3500 4x4 Ram Cummins 😉
If you had the 1500 with same engine you would be 1000/1500 lighter and would be keeping up with the loaded semis.

Doing 35...
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
richclover wrote:

Lotsa discussion about half ton trucks towing at capacity. My concern would be engine performance. I’ve been loaded heavy in a Dodge 2500, gas 5.7l, doing 25 mph in the right lane, engine “screaming”, getting passed by 18-wheelers doing 35. On the hills, I-80 in WY.

There is no substitute for power. 7000# and up trailer, I’ll take the diesel. Cruise control set 65-70, long hills on I-15, UT, and watch it run.

JMHO.

If you had the 1500 with same engine you would be 1000/1500 lighter and would be keeping up with the loaded semis.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer

JMHO.

Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
Please show me your work on that math that I am 3,000 over weight on my combo Terry?

I do include the TW of the trailer on the trucks payload too.... I've been around the block a few times and here longer than you have been... ha, ha... Mitch

remember. I said if you load both to max. And IF your 11,300 is the GCVWR. Which I admit seems pretty low. I could have read it wrong. If it is not. Then my figures are wrong. I been wrong before.

Your truck if loaded to max is 7700lb. your trailer if loaded to max is 7000lb. that is 14,700lbs. Your max GCVWR, is 11,300. According to you post. Unless I miss read it.
So together your TT and TV weigh in at 14,700lb subtract the GCVWR of 11,300 from that, and you have 3,400lb that the truck is over the GCVWR. Like i said. If that is not the GCVWR. Then my figures are not correct.

Terry...you did take the numbers wrong. I looked at the same truck as Mitch has back in 13, so very familiar with the numbers. The tow capacity is 11,300, and the GCVWR S/B 17,000+. I did buy a new 250 instead, but the 150 with max tow and 3.5 Eco is a very stout truck, with lots of upgrades for HD towing.

Jerry

My bad.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Terryallan wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:

Jerry

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
mr61impala wrote:
APT wrote:
The general feedback for people towing over 8000 pounds loaded with half tons is not positive. How much is your as equipped payload and receiver rating? 8000 pounds loaded means 1000-1200 pounds of tongue weight. How much stuff/people do you put in the vehicle when towing? That Tire and Loading sticker will likely be your limit well under 11,000 pounds for a TT.

Just the two of us in the truck and we have always packed with weight in mind.

This truck came from the factory with a class 4 hitch which I believe is rated up to #10,000.

The larger trailers under consideration have the following specs:

1). UVW of #7050 and hitch weight of #710,

2), UVW of #6500 and hitch weight of #735.

It would do fine with either of those trailers.

If you have too much squat that is easily remedied without feeling like you are overtaxing the rest of the truck, as Grit Dog mentioned.

EDIT: just realized this says UVW, I read GVW. Bigger than I thought, so it will really depend on how loaded up the trailers are when you are "ready to camp".
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
That drivetrain is bulletproof and will rip the hitch off of most any TT. It’ll have similar power to all the new 3/4 ton gassers.
Only downfall IMO is the relatively compliant rear coil spring suspension which can be overcome with an appropriate wdh and/or a set of airbags.
I’ve hooked some heavier trailers to a rental Ram 1500. (I’m in construction, so “weights “ are relative. If it ain’t on the bump stops it’s good enough).
The rear is a little squishy-er than leaf spring “normal” half tons. Not including the heavy payload F150.

I wouldn’t blink an eye at an 8000lb TT.

The OP said that he has every available towing option but I don't see where he said one way or the other on coil springs vs airbags. If he has airbags that might solve the squishy problem.

Good point. Idk what the 4 way air is good for payload wise but would presume it would level up about any TT with a wdh, at a minimum.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
That drivetrain is bulletproof and will rip the hitch off of most any TT. It’ll have similar power to all the new 3/4 ton gassers.
Only downfall IMO is the relatively compliant rear coil spring suspension which can be overcome with an appropriate wdh and/or a set of airbags.
I’ve hooked some heavier trailers to a rental Ram 1500. (I’m in construction, so “weights “ are relative. If it ain’t on the bump stops it’s good enough).
The rear is a little squishy-er than leaf spring “normal” half tons. Not including the heavy payload F150.

I wouldn’t blink an eye at an 8000lb TT.

The OP said that he has every available towing option but I don't see where he said one way or the other on coil springs vs airbags. If he has airbags that might solve the squishy problem.