cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

melting step carpet

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, this is kinda weird. I just put these on the new Bullet 3 days ago. They were fine this AM, and now they look like this :? CW customer service says I have 90 days to return them. We leave for the beach tomorrow--I hope they last thru the week...

2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber
17 REPLIES 17

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Stray cat? Raccoon? My 2 yr old CW step covers are doing great - take em back.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
They look to me like someone exchanged their old ones for your new ones. look around the neighbor hood, maybe you will find them?????

That's exactly what mine looked like after a few years of use. Just plain worn out!
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Caboose66
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis Henderson wrote:
Did you have your foot on the step while you were spraying insect repellent or sunscreen on yourself?

Denny and Cindy Henderson
fulltiming, currently at Jellystone Park in Natural Bridge Station, VA

THIS. If you happen to use insect repellant with DEET, this could very well happen... Although you would have to get quite a bit on there, it seems, to cause that much damage.

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

Your trailer is too shiny. 🙂

This appears to be the same phenomena that has melted plastic siding on houses. Sunlight reflected from nearby windows adds to the heat of direct sunlight, and the "combined" temperature exceeds the melting point of some plastics. Normally the house window is on a 90 degree adjacent wall.

(It seems one guy on here even melted his house siding with his nearby trailer, or trailer window, in the driveway if I'm not mistaken.)
EDIT:
I was wrong, the thread was the guys pick-up topper and truck mirror was melting.
Silverado dissolves itself: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27369720

The thread might show up under a search for "melt or melted". I'm not sure, but some of this might be because of new E-glass characteristics. In your case, a brilliant white trailer might reflect enough additional energy to melt already sun-drenched carpet.

There was also a case in London(?) where a building was melting cars parked on a nearby street. I think the building was shaped concave, thereby magnifying the effect. Rather embarrassing for the architect.

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
othertonka wrote:
They look to me like someone exchanged their old ones for your new ones. look around the neighbor hood, maybe you will find them?????

Ya know.... as unlikely as this sounds, it sure makes sense from what those carpet pieces look like.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
The pattern almost appears as if someone had something damaging on their shoes and walked up the steps.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Dennis_Henderso
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you have your foot on the step while you were spraying insect repellent or sunscreen on yourself?

Denny and Cindy Henderson
fulltiming, currently at Jellystone Park in Natural Bridge Station, VA

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. C wrote:
No cleaning products were used at all

The reason I asked is that the most amount of fiber removal is on the top step and there is virtually none on the bottom. If something was tracked onto the steps, it seems likely it was from inside.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have dogs going in/out? If I havent trimmed the nails on our labradoodle she could tear carpet up.

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
they look like they have been on the steps for the last 20 years of so. I am wondering what they are going to say when you take them back.

Mr__C
Explorer
Explorer
No cleaning products were used at all. They wrap around the step and are hooked with 4 springs. No adhesive...

There may be some glue used in the manufacturing process.
2020 Keystone Cougar 26RBS "Pressure Relief 4"
2017 Silverado LTZ 6.2 4x4

MM2 USN 1970-75
USS Canisteo AO-99
USS Miller DE-1091

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Knowledge is good". Emil Faber

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Are they glued on and if so, with what glue? Some have pretty strong solvents that will eat synthetics lickety-split.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Did you use any cleaning products to clean the floor?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton