cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memories of your very first trailer camping trip

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
(Sorry if this is a thread that has been done before -- I searched and did not find it.)

So in 2005, we bought a very small used trailer, just as an experiment -- we had never camped a day in our lives, but we were sick of staying in motels and eating bad food at high prices.

Just to try it out, we went for one night to a campground a couple of hours away from the house, up in the Angeles National Forest. Just by sheer luck (we went midweek), it was completely empty (which was a good thing, because if there had been any spectators, they would have died laughing while we tried to back the trailer into the campsite). We eventually got parked, and took a deep breath: Silent. Cool. Shady. Breezy.

We went on a hike that afternoon, came back and had snacks and drinks and watched the sunset. A quiet dinner by candlelight. We slept better than we ever had at home. No phone, no computer, no television, no freeway noise, no air traffic.

Brilliant sunshine the next morning, birds singing, the wind in the trees. We hated to leave. My wife summed it up: "This was magical!! Where has this been all our lives? What took us so long?" We were hooked.

OK, your turn!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
39 REPLIES 39

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Camping, whether sleeping in the open, in a tent or an RV ( done all of them) has always been appealing to me since I was a little kid (a long time ago). Enjoying the natural open spaces is part of my make up for reasons only my maker knows.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We camped a lot when we were young as money for vacations was tight. My parents would throw 6 kids and gear into a "55 Pontiac sedan and we would camp for a week and eat from just one coleman ice chest. We borrowed one of those suction cup roof racks and proceeded to drop the roof load on the deep water span of the Dumbarton Bridge. My Dad and I (10 years old) got out and pulled the load to the side of the road. I remember that almost everyone that passed us asked if they could help. My Mom came back with a government truck and helpers who picked up the load. They then helped secure it back on top and we were on our way home. That memory has stuck for 54 years.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were canoe and tent campers. We rented a TT to see if we really wanted to pull one of these barns down the road.

We discovered our truck was under powered, we could expect 10 mpg, a 300 mile day was about the limit and you will be passed by everything on the road.

That was about 3 years and 23,000 miles ago. We new what we would need to do the type of camping we wanted to do and what to expect before we bought.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the August heat in FL, AC unit shorted out during the night. TT became an oven. Couldn't sleep, the dog threw up, slipped in the throw up and landed on my behind. Were at a local CG, so got dressed, hooked up and went to Camping World and waited till they opened. Left it there after unpacking the fridge into the cooler - after moving the beers out. Drove home. Turns out the stuffed the wires into the unit during assemble, wire nuts came off, and the circuit board was fried due to live contact.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
My brother and I helped (mostly watched) our dad build a tent camper out of plywood and canvas back in the 60s. He showed us that we could travel all over and have all sorts of adventures. We went to Disneyland, Expo '67 and everywhere in between while we grew up.

Then when DH and I got married in '77 he fell right into the adventure and for our honeymoon we traveled across country from MD to CO with a '67 Shasta trailer (think ice box and no bathroom) pulled by our '65 Mustang. We did get the stares as we drove down the highways.

Here's a shot (sorry it's blurry) of the rig:

We have camped and traveled ever since - with the kids in our '74 Scotty trailer and now that it's just us again with our '90 Award.

Our first camping trip with the kids in the Scotty that we bought for $800 - the camper was almost paid for when we went to Niagara Falls for a week. :C

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Fireballsocal wrote:
My Dad started me off backbacking when I was a youngster, not even carrying my own sleeping bag. 5 miles up into the National forest and then the weekend was filled with finding waterfalls, carving initials into trees, and finding and sometimes catching the local wildlife. I vividly remember tent camping there, cooking over a small gas stove and washing the dishes in the stream with a crushed piece of yucca as soap, like the Indians washed their dishes. ;)All the trips were followed by a ride in the back of the truck home, stinking to high heaven

In my early twenties, I got heavily into off-road motorcycle riding and a bit of racing. As the trips moved further away, I started staying out multiple days and sleeping on an air mattress in the back of the truck. I'd mostly keep sandwich stuff in the cooler but would barbeque occasionally. Those trips were followed by a long drive home where, you guessed it, I was stinking to high heaven.

I bought my first RV in my late twenties. It was a used Casita Liberty dlx, followed up by a used Lance 990 truck camper, followed by a used Hi-lo 22T, and then after 5 years without an RV, I recently bought a used Lance 1880 travel trailer. I have been a bit spoiled by the refrigeration, the warm furnace and cool air conditioning but no way do I miss sleeping on rocks nor stinking to high heaven. The very first shower you take in your own RV after a day of riding is just about worth the price of admission.
As an aside, I recently found out I am from a long line of campers. Here are my Grandparents in this undated picture taken somewhere in New England.

A very early hybrid!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Fireball - AWESOME picture!!!

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping in the old, crappy Class C when our boys were small wasn't the first time camping, but it was the first time NOT in a tent. Our first time out, the rains came in sideways and we watched the tenters outside run for cover. Meanwhile, my oblivious sons are setting a puzzle, the DH is tinkering with a new camping gadget, and I'm baking lasagna and garlic bread. We were snug and comfy...and dry!

While we're still fair-weather tenters, that experience sold us on the RV style of camping.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fireball mentioned the first shower you take in your RV -- that was a real "aha!" moment. Yes, the shower was tiny and limited -- but gosh darn it, it was a hot shower in the middle of nowhere! That was a real luxury, and to this day we still feel incredibly lucky to be clean every evening, even if we are 20 miles away from pavement.

The other "aha!" moment was when we were camping in Zion in April -- a sudden midnight rainstorm sent the tent campers scurrying to pack up and leave, while we enjoyed the unfamiliar sound of rain on the roof. We were such newbies that we did not know what that "tinkle tinkle" noise was!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was in 1946 to 1948 in the homemade tent trailer that my father traded for a row boat. We went fishing and camped on the shores of a sandy lake. What I remember the most tho is when my parents were still sleeping and my younger brother got into my father's peppermint schnapps. I woke my parents up by telling them that my brother was drunk and acting mean. He slept all afternoon.
And I think he was six years old so it must have been 1947.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
1980 Point Sebago Maine at 5 years old. First 5 years pups and class c.
The 1980 trailer rental on lake Sebago was a life changing event.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad started me off backbacking when I was a youngster, not even carrying my own sleeping bag. 5 miles up into the National forest and then the weekend was filled with finding waterfalls, carving initials into trees, and finding and sometimes catching the local wildlife. I vividly remember tent camping there, cooking over a small gas stove and washing the dishes in the stream with a crushed piece of yucca as soap, like the Indians washed their dishes. ;)All the trips were followed by a ride in the back of the truck home, stinking to high heaven

In my early twenties, I got heavily into off-road motorcycle riding and a bit of racing. As the trips moved further away, I started staying out multiple days and sleeping on an air mattress in the back of the truck. I'd mostly keep sandwich stuff in the cooler but would barbeque occasionally. Those trips were followed by a long drive home where, you guessed it, I was stinking to high heaven.

I bought my first RV in my late twenties. It was a used Casita Liberty dlx, followed up by a used Lance 990 truck camper, followed by a used Hi-lo 22T, and then after 5 years without an RV, I recently bought a used Lance 1880 travel trailer. I have been a bit spoiled by the refrigeration, the warm furnace and cool air conditioning but no way do I miss sleeping on rocks nor stinking to high heaven. The very first shower you take in your own RV after a day of riding is just about worth the price of admission.
As an aside, I recently found out I am from a long line of campers. Here are my Grandparents in this undated picture taken somewhere in New England.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
We tent camped once in awhile as kids. I took my kids tent camping once prior to owning our Toy Hauler back in like 2006. Fast forward 2012 we rented a 24' class c to go out with a couple of friends memorial weekend. We loved it! A few months later we bought our own trailer which is a 2012 powerlite 19cbxl toy hauler, ever since then we been having a blast. So pretty much we didn't know **** about trailers and haven't did any real camping but I knew we would love it:)
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
My first camping trip was when I was around 6 months old. This would have been around 1964.. Mom and Dad didn't even have a tent... On the ground with lots of blankets and just the stars above.. 🙂

Graduated to sleeping bags, to an Army surplus tent to a 8' slide in camper on Dad's brand new 1971 F250 (that he still owns to this day) to a 12' Shasta trailer to a 26' Taurus trailer. By that time, I was out of HS and started my own camping adventures back to just sleeping bags under the stars.. 🙂

Continue to this day with the rig in my sig and love all the time I can spend in it with my wife. She loves getting out as much as I do, so it's all good.

Thanks for bringing up this topic, as I always like to reminisce about all the wonderful times camping has brought to my life.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.