cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modifying a bunkhouse

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
We are possibly going to be full-timing it in a travel trailer and I have two dogs. One is small, the other about 90 lbs. I'm looking at tt with super slides and bunkhouse rooms, but I want to tear out the beds and make it a plain room; maybe with some extra storage space, but mainly so the dogs will have a dedicated area. (When traveling, they will be safely secured in the vehicle with us.)

Am I on the right track here with the modification that I am thinking about doing? I am worried that the bottom bunk might have non-removable items under it, but I have seen some models where it looks like the bottom bunk is actually on the floor.
15 REPLIES 15

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
^ I thought about that, but I haven't seen any that I'd like to live in full time.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
What about a side load toyhauler .

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
The big dog has knee problems and I don't want her to have to have a difficult time getting on a bunk. I want them, to have room to move and stretch. Mostly they will be with us, but it they need to be confined for any reason, I want them to be comfortable.

If it were just me and my husband, I'd be happy as a clam in a class C. Our purchase is going to be all about the big dog.

Rick_P_
Explorer
Explorer
Is your intent to have a closed-off area for them? We have quad bunks and one of them has been claimed by our 80 lb retriever. When the kids grandparents come camping with us grandma gets the 4th bunk while grandpa takes the sofabed (his choice). Lincoln the dog would be most unhappy if he lost his bed since thats the best part of his room. If you intend to give them free run (steps?) of the place i'd suggest finding a layout with good overhead storage and a couple twin beds for the dogs. They'll like it and your resale value will be higher.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Our Foxy does have her own dedicated area.....wherever she wants it to be :).

Agree that a permanent change could certainly effect resale. If you're ordering rather than buying out of stock, be aware that some mfg charge extra NOT to put something where it is supposed to be. Guess it messes up their assembly processes. We have friends that do dog shows and they have a "c". They did do some mods to allow for the crates and it would be tough to find the right person who would want those changes.

Have you considered a toy hauler that you would have a larger area and could fix for the dogs and anything else you might want? Are you thinking an area for crates for the dogs....a BIG crate for the larger one! Or something like an area you'd fix something with a gate to confine them?? Interesting to know exactly what you're thinking on that and maybe get some more ideas.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

epusher
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom bunk in ours is nothing more than an overgrown folding cushion that can be either a bed or a couch. Very easy to carry out of the trailer. The top bunk would be easy to remove as well (just some screws in a hinge). After that the floor is wide open with a chest of drawers, cabinets and countertops built in on the drivers side of the room.
2010 Sabre 30BHDS: 10 gal elct/gas dsi, 15k a/c, 1.5 bath, high fidelity package
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4, 1 dog, 1 wife, 2 kids, 2 cats

wishin_andhopin
Explorer
Explorer
Caboose66 wrote:
The Aerolite 282 has a "triple" double bunk in the corner where one of the bunks is actually a pad on the floor. This area also has access via a small door in the back. All of the bunks can be raised to the ceiling. This might be a good arrangement for your needs. Don't know for sure if the bunks could be completely removed, but they can be stowed out of the way. Nice thing is that resale is not affected (other than the ..."moist" smell ;)) because it can easily be converted back into bunks.

I looked at this model and liked it fairly well. Decided on a different model for a couple of fairly minor reasons, but if I was loking for something for the purposes you have in mind, I think it might be a good candidate.

Good luck, Dean

I saw the model you are talking about and thought the same thing.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know if your dogs can do what our cats could. We put the cats food and bed on a bunk along with the litter box which you dogs probably will not have.
The food and water went on a tray.

Caboose66
Explorer
Explorer
The Aerolite 282 has a "triple" double bunk in the corner where one of the bunks is actually a pad on the floor. This area also has access via a small door in the back. All of the bunks can be raised to the ceiling. This might be a good arrangement for your needs. Don't know for sure if the bunks could be completely removed, but they can be stowed out of the way. Nice thing is that resale is not affected (other than the ..."moist" smell ;)) because it can easily be converted back into bunks.

I looked at this model and liked it fairly well. Decided on a different model for a couple of fairly minor reasons, but if I was loking for something for the purposes you have in mind, I think it might be a good candidate.

Good luck, Dean

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
When you see a layout you like talk to the dealer. Under our double bunk at the back is storage but also houses the pipe for heat to bathroom.

Our friends bought a tt with bunkhouse that had a set of bunks on one side, couch on the other. Above the couch was a fold down bunk. Between these beds is a dresser. They removed the couch so they could put in either the crib or playpen for their baby. They still had the other bunks and dressers for storage.

Very true. If you run into something like this, you may be able to simply box in whatever is in the way (leaving a 'step') and add a dog cushion on top of it.

Just make sure you have adequate (separate cross?) ventilation as dogs can put out a bit of moisture and you want them to be comfortable and your camper not to smell...moist ๐Ÿ˜‰ They will thank you for it.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Since you're full timing and you say a dedicated area while travelling, you're planning on having the dogs ride in the TT while underway then?

Not really a great or safe idea IMHO.

:h

I think you missed where the dogs would be in the vehicle with them when travelling

Must have.... Now I'm happy.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Since you're full timing and you say a dedicated area while travelling, you're planning on having the dogs ride in the TT while underway then?

I think you missed where the dogs would be in the vehicle with them when travelling

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
When you see a layout you like talk to the dealer. Under our double bunk at the back is storage but also houses the pipe for heat to bathroom.

Our friends bought a tt with bunkhouse that had a set of bunks on one side, couch on the other. Above the couch was a fold down bunk. Between these beds is a dresser. They removed the couch so they could put in either the crib or playpen for their baby. They still had the other bunks and dressers for storage.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad