cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

More new alum skinned campers than fiberglass

ata3001
Explorer
Explorer
Went to an RV show last week & noticed the majority of these new campers are aluminum skinned rather than fiberglass/filon skinned. Has anyone else noticed this trend in new TT's?
Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 w/full factory dark tinted glass. (9 .yrs w/o any issues)
2014 Chevy Silverado LT Dbl cab, 5.3 L, 4 WD, tow pkg, max payload pkg, Prodigy
40 REPLIES 40

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Ha, I want whatever is used and I can afford. ๐Ÿ˜›
That pretty much sums it up for me, too!

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
WoodGlue wrote:
My Lance trailer is aluminum caged w/ 2" thick extruded polystyrene that is laminated on both sides with Azdel. Azdel is not only a great insulator but it deadens the sound in an amazing way! It's also very expensive so it's typically only found in higher end trailers and campers. So, it's not for everyone.
The problem with wood in the walls is once ANY WATER gets in, you're setting up the perfect scenario for mildew and mold. No one wants to breathe mildew and mold!! The rotting comes along with poor maintenance or mis-assembly.WoodGlue

=====================================================
And I go back to two earlier posts about mold and mildew in a "plastic" ( azdel ) environment: if you think mold and mildew cannot occur in those plastic constructed spaces, leave your refrigerator off and closed up for a few months and come back and open it up.Once again, it needs to be pointed out that it's critical to keep water out of these laminated walls.....does not matter what they are constructed of.

======================================

Exactly GMW... Mold will grow anywhere...... Stop the leaks and you've solved the problem.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Sometimes there's no accounting for taste!
WoodGlue

========================

My God what a snobby answer.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

C7XR7
Explorer
Explorer
Living in the hail capital of the world stick and tin just isn't a good option. You rarely see stick and tin and if you do it is a dented mess.
[COLOR=]2003 Keystone Challenger 31RLB 5th Wheel
2006 F250 Lariat CC PSD short bed
B&W Companionโ„ข 5th Wheel Hitch
Transfer Flow - Toolbox and Fuel Tank Combo
TORKLIFT StableLoad
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

DieselX
Explorer
Explorer
The last camper we had was fiberglass, and after all the time I spent trying to keep that thing from delaminating...... On the way to trade it in the side peeled off and insulation went everywhere.

We walk through the campgrounds now and I see spots on most fiberglass campers that are bubbling from water. The gelcaps too.

They look great but I would pay extra not to have one again.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
My Lance trailer is aluminum caged w/ 2" thick extruded polystyrene that is laminated on both sides with Azdel. Azdel is not only a great insulator but it deadens the sound in an amazing way! It's also very expensive so it's typically only found in higher end trailers and campers. So, it's not for everyone.

The problem with wood in the walls is once ANY WATER gets in, you're setting up the perfect scenario for mildew and mold. No one wants to breathe mildew and mold!! The rotting comes along with poor maintenance or mis-assembly.

WoodGlue

And I go back to two earlier posts about mold and mildew in a "plastic" ( azdel ) environment: if you think mold and mildew cannot occur in those plastic constructed spaces, leave your refrigerator off and closed up for a few months and come back and open it up.

Once again, it needs to be pointed out that it's critical to keep water out of these laminated walls.....does not matter what they are constructed of.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think the aluminum tubing canโ€™t crack??? Especially at a weldโ€ฆ how would they repair thatโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer

The problem with wood in the walls is once ANY WATER gets in, you're setting up the perfect scenario for mildew and mold. No one wants to breathe mildew and mold!! The rotting comes along with poor maintenance or mis-assembly.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
One disadvantage of the aluminum sided trailers is sound penetration. If you're in mine, you can hear EVERYTHING going on outside. I'm guessing the more solid walls of fiberglass or equivalent with block insulation would be quieter.

This may sound a little harsh, but I get very tired of the people that keep whining about wood rot and water intrusion. They come off as maybe intentionally ignorant and perhaps not willing to put forth the effort to maintain their RVs in the first place. Wood framing and flooring does NOT equal water intrusion. My cheap, sticks and tin trailer lives outdoors 365 days a year. It currently has a foot of snow on it with nary a leak or speck of wood rot in its 10 year life.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Who makes aluminum frame and aluminum siding?
Too many posts about fiberglass troubles for me and I am indifferent to the "smooth look".

SunnyBrook Sunset Creek
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

lembean
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Who makes aluminum frame and aluminum siding?
Too many posts about fiberglass troubles for me and I am indifferent to the "smooth look".

After 2005 all the komfort trailers were alumacage framed and some had aluminum siding.That is what a dealer told me? I saw one they had for sale. Nice but $$$.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
profdant139 wrote:
For whatever it is worth, our fiberglass Fun Finder is far more well insulated than our older aluminum Fun Finder -- the new trailer has thick styrofoam bonded to the fiberglass. I am not sure that this is always true of all fiberglass trailers.
I have found this to be true as well along with the noise is reduced more with a fiberglass trailer. I have found the aluminum trailers are always lighter.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For whatever it is worth, our fiberglass Fun Finder is far more well insulated than our older aluminum Fun Finder -- the new trailer has thick styrofoam bonded to the fiberglass. I am not sure that this is always true of all fiberglass trailers.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
That's true. But I've heard of plenty of heart breaking ( and expensive ) stories of rotted out floors, frames rusted to the point of needing total rebuild or replace, and mold issues that required hazmat procedures to deal with.
You can also have to deal with riveted aluminum structures that flex to the point of shearing rivets, with the predicable results of water intrusion.

Let's face it, there are multiple ways to build these little homes on wheels.....all the different ways have advantages and disadvantages. And every design must be correctly and meticulously maintained. It's all part of the fun. I have said all along that RV'ing is a participant sport. Some assembly required. And the always present, YMMV.

Great answer!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer