cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting a tv in the front bedroom of a 2014 Jayco 26BH

CountryKim
Explorer
Explorer
We want to mount a tv in the front bedroom of our 26BH. When we used the stud finder to find the studs for mounting it appears the finder locates them not where the mount here sticker is located. Has anyone noticed this? We do not want to go ahead until we are sure.
7 REPLIES 7

CountryKim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your help. We were able to find the TV mounting location by pushing on the wall as suggested. We were then able to put up the mount. I purchased this mount because it can lock in place while being towed. I sure hope it stays in placehttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/locking-cantilever-mount/51564

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The first picture in RoyB's post is my mounting board for the articulating screen mount. It holds a 32" LED TV. I wanted to be sure that the screen and mount were secure so I spanned three studs with the plywood. I used two 1 1/2" screws into each of the three studs. The articulating mount is through bolted from the rear of the plywood, therefore it was necessary to countersink the bolts so the plywood fits flush with the wall surface.

Screen attached:

Plywood and mount awaiting attachment to wall:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
There may be a piece of plywood mounted between the studs where the mount tv here sticker is located. My trailer was new with fold down shelves. I used the push against the paneling along with an electronic stud finder to locate the studs and also determined there was a denser area between 2 of the studs where the shelf was mounted. Eventually I drilled through the bunkhouse wall at the edge to install an articulating wall mount with bolts and lock nuts to locate the tv above the existing shelf which I lowered 2-1/2 inches for the DVD player and the Sat Rcvr. I also did the same through a stud in the bedroom wall. The existing plywood backers in both walls were too low and only good for mounting the shelves.

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
Check with the manufacturer, they should send you a wall diagram. Mine had a piece of plywood behind the wall for the tv mounting. Found it the way Big Love said, pushing on the wall.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your best bet is not use the thin walls to support anything. The screws may just pull through. What most folks do is mount a back board up first and mount their TV Mount to the large board. something like this from google...

You might want to look at the area they recommend and see if maybe they have a large one-inch thick back board behind the thin wall.

I would use MOLLY BOLTs to mount the back board if you can't get both ends into the small studs...
This is what a molly bolt looks like...

Then you can use regular wood screws to go into the back board to secure the HDTV mount.

finished product might look something like this

just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

CountryKim
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, will definitely do that. What inch screws did you use for the mount? My husband got 1 inch that go thru a washer and also the mount.

Big_Love
Explorer
Explorer
When I did this in my TT, the inside walls (which are without insulation) were thin enough so that I was able to feel by applying hand pressure where the studs were. If that is consistent with what your stud finder discovers, you should be good to go.

You can also do a test run with a very small brad or screw to see if it holds before the actual mounting.