cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mounting a TV to camper/ trailer

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I've been very disappointed in some things regarding what seems an adequate question. I have a 17 foot toy hauler made by KZ. It says in the brochure that a tv goes above the mini fridge. Most people I know have a sticker telling them where it mounts. Seems silly but mine does not and though there is a cable hook up/ antenna right above the fridge ( on ceiling) it has a tv antenna outside I'm unclear if I should drill there.
I've checked with a magnet and found studs/ frame, but those are on each side of where I would believe the mount would go. Thanks for help.
14 REPLIES 14

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good, that is pretty much they way I hung mine. You even have the same articulating style mounting bracket that I used. My 32" screen has been mounted for three years without any problems.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer
[img][/img]

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer
Camper1977 wrote:
Thanks to all. Yes I called KZ on my Spree Escape 17FKTH and they explained that on this model the television is meant to sit on top of the cabinet that holds the fridge. She looked through the diagrams and confirmed that there was no backer in the wall to support the unit. The above pictures and suggestions are great help. Thank you all! Getting ready for 1st camping trip of 2016. We enjoyed 2 right before bad weather in 2015 after purchasing our " micro machine Toy hauler " love it!
Here it is. Got a piece of 1"wood from Home Depot. Had them
Cut it 8 inches by 26 inches. Bought a stud finder. Some self tapping screws and voila!!!
[img][/img]

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Camper1977 wrote:
How do I post a picture

One way to do it
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27694224.cfm
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer
How do I post a picture

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Yes I called KZ on my Spree Escape 17FKTH and they explained that on this model the television is meant to sit on top of the cabinet that holds the fridge. She looked through the diagrams and confirmed that there was no backer in the wall to support the unit. The above pictures and suggestions are great help. Thank you all! Getting ready for 1st camping trip of 2016. We enjoyed 2 right before bad weather in 2015 after purchasing our " micro machine Toy hauler " love it!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many toyhaulers came with a tube tv mounted in a cabinet or shelf, those tvs were just too heavy to be mounted on the wall. Mine had a tube tv/dvd combo that was mounted in a cabinet, I did the same as above and mounted our 40" HDTV on an articulating arm attached to a piece of wood I had installed within the former tv cabinet.

TwinTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I own a KZ Spree 196S and ended up doing what the previous posters suggested. Stained a piece of wood, mounted the wood to the wall and mounted to tv bracket to the wood. Before doing anything, I called KZ, and they assured me there was thin metal backing in place where the tv should mount, so it would support a tv without needing additional bracing. I used the wood backboard anyhow.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Camper1977 wrote:
Hello, I've been very disappointed in some things regarding what seems an adequate question. I have a 17 foot toy hauler made by KZ. It says in the brochure that a tv goes above the mini fridge. Most people I know have a sticker telling them where it mounts. Seems silly but mine does not and though there is a cable hook up/ antenna right above the fridge ( on ceiling) it has a tv antenna outside I'm unclear if I should drill there.
I've checked with a magnet and found studs/ frame, but those are on each side of where I would believe the mount would go. Thanks for help.

Is it supposed to sit on a shelf?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 1/4 sheet of 3/8' with a good grain plywood from Lowes
I stained it and then used screws to attach to the studs in the TT
then I mounted the T.V. looks good and is very sturdy
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
Royb nailed it!
FYI/TV = Tow Vehicle. tv = television
I got so excited when I saw the title thinking what the heck is this guy doin.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Camper1977
Explorer
Explorer
Genious!!! Didn't think about this before. I found the studs so this is what I'll do being that I have no way of telling if KZ installed a backing plate behind it, thanks for the great help!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would install a 3/4-1 Inch back board instead of just screwing into the thin walls. You can mount the proper HDTV MOUNT to the back board then. You can paint the back board to meet your wall decor...

Much like these google images shows...

Unless there is a backing behind your thin walls the heavy HDTV mount screws will just pull though the thin walls... I would not want to chance that...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS