cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

my "new" t/c hauler project "Revisited"

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
well finally went up north and picked up the 99 f550 i have been talking about he is abit rough and will need to be shortened alot..

1999 F550 truck conversion
52 REPLIES 52

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Well I know this is a terribly old thread by I was browsing through it and saw mention of the Cummins being in the truck.

And here's a rough idea of what it may look like.

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
moderator please close this thread..

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
well i got the doublers off and primed and painted the frame...

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
Butch50 wrote:
You are right on my truck.

My truck was done by Manning which across the street from Ford factory. It does have a 4" piece that fills the gap between the front of the bed and the back of the cab. The chassis cabs wheel base is 4" longer than a standard F350 so the bed has to be moved back by 4" or the frame needs to be shortned by that amount. It was a formed piece that looked like it fit right there. It was hard to really notice it at just a glance.

Yep, they fit.

I couldn't get rid of that bed fast enough (the one on my 550 when I got it). Yes, it had the filler piece too. Why anyone would want a pick up bed for anything other than getting grocery's is beyond me.

because some of us have to deal with states that have rules that classify anything other than a pick up bed on your truck as commercial and can require you to go through weight stations and have commercial plates etc..

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Butch50 wrote:

My truck was done by Manning which across the street from Ford factory. It does have a 4" piece that fills the gap between the front of the bed and the back of the cab. The chassis cabs wheel base is 4" longer than a standard F350 so the bed has to be moved back by 4" or the frame needs to be shortned by that amount. It was a formed piece that looked like it fit right there. It was hard to really notice it at just a glance.

Yep, they fit.

I couldn't get rid of that bed fast enough (the one on my 550 when I got it). Yes, it had the filler piece too. Why anyone would want a pick up bed for anything other than getting grocery's is beyond me.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Butch50 wrote:
mike mck wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
A pickup bed won't fit on an F450/F550. The frame rails are narrower, taller and flatter than on the smaller trucks.
Michigan isn't too far from Indiana, and there's a shop called Utility Body Werks in Elkhart that does incredible work with these trucks. They did the bed on my 450 and I can't stop grinning when I look at it in the driveway. They might be worth checking out.

http://www.utilitybodywerks.com/index.html

Pick up bed fits nicely on my 1999 F550. You are correct rear frame on the F350 is 37" while the F550 is 34". On my truck Frame was shortened. In Az my plates are commercial based on vehicle weight but ins and tag cost are not at the commercial rate.

Where are the pics of this project? You all know the rules. No pics it didn't happen.

I know this is an old thread but I would like to add a couple of pictures of my truck I had built for me but no longer have.

That's funny that a pickup bed won't fit on a F450/550 as the 2006 F550 I had built for me had a pickup bed on it also.

Butch it looks like the bed on your f550 has an extention to make it fit . MikeMCK said his frame was shortened . Usually a chassis/cab has a narrower width rear frame and a longer wheel base . I don't think a standard pickup bed will fit a f550 without some modification .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
well you know how some projects won't die...well this one didn't either thank you mother nature..it however is going a different route as a hauler..with a built in camper..

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
mike mck wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
A pickup bed won't fit on an F450/F550. The frame rails are narrower, taller and flatter than on the smaller trucks.
Michigan isn't too far from Indiana, and there's a shop called Utility Body Werks in Elkhart that does incredible work with these trucks. They did the bed on my 450 and I can't stop grinning when I look at it in the driveway. They might be worth checking out.

Pick up bed fits nicely on my 1999 F550. You are correct rear frame on the F350 is 37" while the F550 is 34". On my truck Frame was shortened. In Az my plates are commercial based on vehicle weight but ins and tag cost are not at the commercial rate.

Where are the pics of this project? You all know the rules. No pics it didn't happen.

I know this is an old thread but I would like to add a couple of pictures of my truck I had built for me but no longer have.

That's funny that a pickup bed won't fit on a F450/550 as the 2006 F550 I had built for me had a pickup bed on it also.

Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
well due to events in my life the f550 tc hauler project is being scrapped as is my dodge..the camper's fate is still up in the air it may get converted to flatbed style or a gooseneck flatbed toy hauler..most likely will be getting scrapped as well.. i have enjoyed my time on this forum... keep camping..

recycler

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
I've been looking unsuccessfully for taillights with amber lenses. I don't know why they're not mandatory in the USA.

I take it you have looked at the online ford catlog too..it is funny you can buy the mexican rear harness, but not the taillights..i will have to find that forum again and see if the pic with transfer over.. i wonder if our rv friends south of the border could help with the lights as far as part numbers...I have wondered that myself i figure is because most poeple don't see a need for them..some of the european importer sites i have looked at trying to find them myself convert the reverse lights to turns and add new reverse lights along with a red fog lamp..

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
Specularius wrote:
The easiest way to get amber turn signals on the back is to tie into the front turn signals and run the wire to the back of the truck. I did this to my dually to make the fender lights flash when turning.

on a f250/350 non chassis cab truck i would agree, but as you seem to work with some chassis cab {upfitter} trucks you probaly know this already but i will put it out anyways so everyone knows what i am working with for wiring.. the harness to the rear contains 11 wires two sets of regular s/t wires, running light wire, third brake light wire, trailer brake wire, common ground, fused and relayed trailer running lights wire, truck reverse wire, fused and relayed trailer reverse lights, fused and relayed trailer charge wire so the wires are already there to do it...i had thought of doing something similiar to your company trucks using three red lights and use the trailer running light circuit for the outside light and have the s/t/p in the middle and the third brake light circuit for the inside one..i like your idea of making the bed marker lights blink..due to the length of the truck i have i want to put turn signals on the sides near the middle for the safety of it..

oops forgot to count in the sending unit for tank and fuel pump wires

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
The easiest way to get amber turn signals on the back is to tie into the front turn signals and run the wire to the back of the truck. I did this to my dually to make the fender lights flash when turning.
2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH