cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need a battery charger

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
I need a battery charger for my 6volts. Any suggestions?
I've heard the Schumacher brand is decent and have seen reviews of the SC-10030 A model. It seems to be decent, but with anything some bad reviews also. Any suggestions from the pros? Thanks!
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 ExtCab SLE 5.3l 3.73 - Curt WD, airbags
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BHS G2
1 Wonderful Wife!, 2 Great Boys!, 1 Goofy Basset Hound (Floyd),Oh, and me.
18 REPLIES 18

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC I understood that the on board converter/charger wasn't for charging the batteries up but rather more for maintaining the charge and giving the batteries a little boost while travelling. If I'm taking my batteries out of storage from the winter will I not need to charge them before heading out camping? How do I do that if I don't have a charger - do I hook up the trailer and run my truck until theyre charged???
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 ExtCab SLE 5.3l 3.73 - Curt WD, airbags
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BHS G2
1 Wonderful Wife!, 2 Great Boys!, 1 Goofy Basset Hound (Floyd),Oh, and me.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
When and how do you plan to use it ?
Most any name brand dual voltage charger will work.
Avoid the Harbor Freight house brand.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a back-up battery charger with me in case the built-in converter/charger goes out when camping...

I use the the B&D VEC1093DBD model which is a 40AMP Smart Mode portable charger setup. I run it off my generator when needed to be used. Each battery in battery bank will need to see around 20AMPS DC current when hit with 14.4VDC Boost voltage if you want them to get re-charged to their 90% charge state in a three hour generator run time. To get to the full charge state this will take over 12 hours to finish which is too long a period for me to run my 2KW Generator setup out the woods...

I think you can still purchase the VEC-1093DBD... This is a real popular battery charger amoung the RV guys... Got mine from AMAZON a few years ago...

My on-board converter/charger to keep my three batteries working in my POPUP trailer battery bank is a PD-9260C 60A Smart Mode charger setup. I run this off my 2KW Generator when allowed to run my generator in the woods each morning for three hours.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you need a 6 volt battery charger?

You pair up the 2 6 volt batteries to make 12 volts, and use the charger built into your RV from the factory.

The advantage to a pair of golf cart batteries is they offer the capacity and water storage of a 8D battery in two lightweight 67 pound packages. If you ever moved a 130 pound 8D battery, you will know what I mean. It is nice they are 'light'. When I removed my 4 batteries and replaced them, I got a work out that day! They are heavy. But 8D battery is much more weight!

The portable chargers are not as good, and normally only rated at 20 amps or less for 24 hour a day duty. Many say 50+ amps start capacity, but will advise in small print to only have it in start mode for 30 seconds, then unplug it for 20 minutes. It really overheats the poor charger, and will put out 15+ volts for that time it is in the start mode, causing battery damage if you forget it, and let it stay to long in high output mode.

If you are upset with your factory converter, then check with BestConverter.com

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com