cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tow vehicle suggestions

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a base model 2009 Tacoma 6cyl 4X4. I am a long time Toyota guy and this is my 5th on in 30 years of driving. I love the way they drive, feel, solidness, and how bomb proof they are. When I ride in friends Chevy and Ford trucks they seem to rattle more and just don't feel as solid.

We just purchase a Trailmanor 2720SL camper that the dry weight is around 2800 lbs. My truck is the base package without the tow package. So currently only has a 3500 lb towing capacity. So I would be close to that capacity with actual weight. My truck only has a payload of about 1600 lbs and with the gas, 2 people, extra **** we load in the bed, camper shell, and tongue weight we are going to be pushing the total payload and tow capacity.

Since I have had this truck for 6 years I thought about trading it in. Thought about going up to the Tundra but the gas mileage sucks on it and since this will be my daily driver as well I would like something with a little better gas mileage than the Tundra since I put about 20,000 miles per year on my truck.

When I got to looking around I found some reviews on the new Colorado diesel that is coming out in 2016. Love the idea of a midsize truck that pulls as good as it will and the gas mileage they are expecting. It also will retail for about what a new Tacoma with the tow package will retail.

I currently get about 22 mpg in my Tacoma (not towing) and really don't want to go backwards on mileage. However, I want a truck that can hold up to the miles I put on one. I usually run my trucks to about 150,000 before I trade them in on a newer model.

Give me some suggestions on trucks to look at and if you own one what mileage you are getting.

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
You need to research newer v-8 1/2 ton trucks.
Most can get 20mpg highway.

I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche, which is heavier, and I often get 20mpg highway.

Towing will always be 9-11mpg towing, with a gasser.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, you can't use the dry weight of the trailer - there's propane, battery, water, gear, etc that you will be traveling with. The dry weight is the weight from the factory before anything is added to it. No one travels dry.

So let's assume you travel light and add a mere 700 pounds to that dry weight, for a total of 3500 pounds. Assume 12% tongue weight (12% is standard) and you'll be around 420 pounds tongue weight. Now add maybe 400 pounds of human weight, 300 pounds of stuff in the truck and you'll easily be around 1,100 pounds of payload.

Does your Tacoma really have 1600 pounds of payload???? That amount is better than some 1/2 tons.

So with that, I think 1600 of payload capacity is acceptable (however, I do not believe your Tacoma has enough power to adequately pull all that or enough braking capability to stop all that), but it all depends on how much you pack and how many passengers you have. I would definitely be looking at 1/2 ton trucks and the Tundra is a fine truck for that (but they do suck the gas).

FWIW, I get about 14-16 MPG (combined) in my 5.3L GMC Sierra. I can get in excess of 20MPG on the highway. About 10-12 towing.

Good luck with your search.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10