cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need opinions about recaulking roof

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed that the caulking on the roof is starting to crack and has a few spots on the ends that has started to pull up. Wondering if I should just caulk over the old stuff (after properly prepping) or remove the old stuff amd start fresh.

Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa
17 REPLIES 17

jspence1
Explorer
Explorer
I will point out again here that when I had an insurance claim on my to two years ago the claims adjuster classified it as an improper repair and devalued my trailer it took more than 6 months of fighting with them to get paid the full amount.

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will go the eternabond method. Once we are done camping I will get it done.
Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
LarryJM wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
In what areas should Eternabond be used and when should something like Dicor Self Leveling sealant be used? Or, can Etrnabond be used pretty much everywhere. My trailer has an aluminum roof, but Dicor is used along the perimter of the roof as well as around vents, etc. Is Eternabond an option along the perimeter?

Look thru the Eternabond link in my signature below and READ CAREFULLY ALL the captions since that is where the important info is and you will see that Eternabond can be used in about every area of a trailer. As mention hospital level cleanliness and being extra careful not to pull or put the Eternabond tape under tension along with proper rolling/pressing the tape to activate properly the microsealant are the three CRITICAL pieces in a successful application.

Larry

This is great, loads of good info. Thanks!

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
djsamuel wrote:
In what areas should Eternabond be used and when should something like Dicor Self Leveling sealant be used? Or, can Etrnabond be used pretty much everywhere. My trailer has an aluminum roof, but Dicor is used along the perimter of the roof as well as around vents, etc. Is Eternabond an option along the perimeter?

Look thru the Eternabond link in my signature below and READ CAREFULLY ALL the captions since that is where the important info is and you will see that Eternabond can be used in about every area of a trailer. As mention hospital level cleanliness and being extra careful not to pull or put the Eternabond tape under tension along with proper rolling/pressing the tape to activate properly the microsealant are the three CRITICAL pieces in a successful application.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
NHIrish wrote:
westend wrote:
Two things stand out to me from the pictures: First, that whole seam is holding water on the roof like a dam. Second, the caulking material is failing.

I would remove all of it and re caulk or use Eternabond tape, whatever is the choice of the OP. I've found that Eternabond tape is superior to any sealant I've used.

I would agree....am in the process of doing the same myself. I am using a metal putty knife with the corners ground off and it is working well. If you were to buy the 6" wide you probably wouldn't have to remove the old...also would use their spray cleaner.

Good advice about the cleaning, Eternabond needs a surface that is scrupulously cleaned. Of the few Eternabond failures that have been posted here, all were the results of less-than-stellar surface prep.

The only problem I see with covering a big gob of failing sealant is that the original sealant may continue to degrade and a loose void may develop underneath ANYTHING applied over it.

I see a lot of members here apply Dicor lap sealant over more gobs of sealant and I presume they're successful. It kind of goes against my construction experience outlook (applying caulk over failing caulk isn't acceptable). YMMV
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

westend
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:

Eternabond Web Seal applied to perimeter of aluminum roof:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
I'd prep the areas really well and wait for a sunny day (you're in WA) and re-caulk using Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant. The prep job is really important. I'd use mineral spirits and a good roughish bath rag (smaller than a hand towel) - prep the area, let it dry out really well, then caulk.

FrankShore-

I notice that you mention that your 2014 Minnie winne burned, total lost? Please let me know what happen we have the same make and model...:?
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:

djsmauel, I would be hesitant about using the eternabond tape on the aluminum siding along the uprights in the corners. I just tried that and it is a nightmare. Where the two siding peices slip into eachother it always leaves a gap and the tape will not fill that. It seemed to lift at every convex of the aluminum siding and took a ton of rubbing to get it to stay down and I'm not sure if it ever will fully, so that is why I have to caulk it now. Also the corner trim is less than 3/4 of an inch on the one side and the tape sticks out and you have to caulk over it. Unless someone else has a better idea and I am doing this wrong, it would have been easier with butyl tape and caulk. I have to recaulk it anyway. For the sides of the roof and top trim I would use it.

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Two things stand out to me from the pictures: First, that whole seam is holding water on the roof like a dam. Second, the caulking material is failing.

I would remove all of it and re caulk or use Eternabond tape, whatever is the choice of the OP. I've found that Eternabond tape is superior to any sealant I've used.

I would agree....am in the process of doing the same myself. I am using a metal putty knife with the corners ground off and it is working well. If you were to buy the 6" wide you probably wouldn't have to remove the old...also would use their spray cleaner.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer

X2 except I would re-caulk AND use Eternabond tape. You'll never have to do it again.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the old caulk, clean well and apply Eternabond.

It's a one time repair.

CaveRun
Explorer
Explorer
I would remove the old and put new on!
John 3:16

1996 Hide Away Sun Lite Truck Camper
2003 31' Salem LE Forest River Travel Trailer
2013 Sun Tracker Bass Buggy 18 DLX Pontoon
2002 F-150 SuperCab V-8 4X4
Firestone Air Bags
Homemade Tie Down Mounts
Equal-i-zer WD Hitch

westend
Explorer
Explorer

'03 F-250 4x4 CC