cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need recommendations for stabilizers

RAMwoodworks
Explorer
Explorer
I have an '01 Aerolite 19' hybrid that needs new stabilizers. One bent when I prematurely unchocked the trailer and another broke. The ones that are on it are pretty flimsy. They are like this:

So what do y'all recommend for replacement stabilizers? And for the cranking mechanism? The flimsy bar that came with mine might have been good 14 years ago and when the trailer was empty but it is a bear to crank them to a level position.

I'm inclined to go to a junkyard and pickup four scissor jacks and bolt them to the frame. something like these:

I have no experience with the drop down pegs like these

I'm probably going to make a set of these to help keep the boat from rocking while parked.
2017 Coachmen Viking 21RD, 2015 Yukon XL 5.3
If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy, Red Green
2 REPLIES 2

BossCamper
Explorer
Explorer
RAMwoodworks wrote:
I have an '01 Aerolite 19' hybrid that needs new stabilizers. One bent when I prematurely unchocked the trailer and another broke. The ones that are on it are pretty flimsy. They are like this:

So what do y'all recommend for replacement stabilizers? And for the cranking mechanism? The flimsy bar that came with mine might have been good 14 years ago and when the trailer was empty but it is a bear to crank them to a level position.

I'm inclined to go to a junkyard and pickup four scissor jacks and bolt them to the frame. something like these:

I have no experience with the drop down pegs like these

I'm probably going to make a set of these to help keep the boat from rocking while parked.

If you're going to try to use them for leveling, you'd better get the scissor jacks.
The original STABILIZERS are just for STABILIZING! ... that's why they call them STABILIZERS, and not levelers! It's no wonder one broke!
And if you're using the scissor jacks to level from the original stabilizers mounting places, you'll probably have trouble with your frame bending up and making doors hard to close/open.
Level with boards, etc under the tires for side to side, and with the tongue jack for front to back.
Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the room, and a good attachment point, use the scissors jacks.