cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AF865 on a 2000 Dodge 2500, tie-down question

zzyzxpat
Explorer
Explorer
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new 865. Weight wise I will be over GVWR but have the DANA 80, factory camper and towing package with double overloads, have installed Firestone bags, and converted to 18" wheels to get heavier tires thanks to the knowledge learned on here. I currently have an old camper on it that is about 3900# wet and it drives like a dream. Going heavier with the 865 my question is about the mounting. I currently use the Happijac turnbuckles, which when I am on desert dirt roads I get some rock but nothing that bothers me. I have been told to go to the frame mounted systems, which I would I guess if I really needed to, but I would like to ask opinions, will the turnbuckles work?
Thanks for all the wisdom on this forum.
Pat
6 REPLIES 6

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog, from what I understand, the AFs are heavier than almost any other TC of the same length. I expect it’s freshwater holding tank is bigger. From reading here, vintage TCs only hold about 20 gallons of water which leaves 30 to account for as well. Nope, I haven’t weighed one and don’t have one. Yeah, I said may because of that. Maybe only a few hundred lbs heavier ... maybe lighter. I guess he’ll find out how much after he weighs it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
"You may find the AF865 is a thousand lbs heavier or more if you keep the water tank full. "

I don't understand. Still has a 50? gal tank. 1000lbs is like 120 gal. I guess maybe if fresh, gray and black were full?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frame tiedowns don’t eliminate the turnbuckles.
They’re just an attachment point for your turnbuckles.
The truck is fine. That Dana 80 is rated for 11,000 pounds by Dana. It’s the same one Ford used in the similar vintage F450. As long as your tires are up to it, no “truck upgrade” is needed.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I see you said AF 865.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you buy a Lance 865 or Arctic Fox 865, I used to own a Lance 825 that is similar to the Lance 865 the weight loaded was about 3200 pounds. My Northern Lite 811 on my F-250 weights 10500 pounds, but it rides really great.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The frame mounted tiedowns are more for the truck camper than for the ride. No matter which system you use, tighter tiedowns equal more potential damage. You would only stop the rocking completely by that extra tightening.

You may find the AF865 is a thousand lbs heavier or more if you keep the water tank full. That takes your rig from marginal to way over. I’d rethink if you really want that extra weight or consider a different truck or you might be due for another tire/wheel upgrade to 19.5s to have enough tire/wheel capacity.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member