cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New and Nervous

Sassafras410
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!! My husband and I are new to the forum and to the whole camping life. Up until today we have been super excited about our new 2007 Kodiak 214 hybrid TT. However, we have discovered that it seems to be nearly impossible to replace the thermarest bunk ends that we thought would be a simple replacement. As of right now, the canvas of our front bunk is damaged and the zippers seams are detaching from the canvas so the bunk will not stay upright. Has anyone had a similar problem and is there a away to replace these bunk canvases?! We don't have to have thermarest! Any replacement canvas would be fine with us!!!
9 REPLIES 9

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
from what i remember, the Thermarest tent ends material was not the vinylized canvas, like other hybrid tent ends.

it was more like actual tent material, like thick nylon.

here's a pic:

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on using your local marine canvas repair shops. They do incredibly great work on canvas repair and much less expensive that using a Quote and Unquote "RV" highway robbery shop. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Another good reason to search this Forum for the make/model of rig one is contemplating purchasing.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to say this but from what I remember of the Thermarest tent ends, they mounted differently and were supported differently than conventional tent ends.

There may be more than just new canvas.
I would first contact Bear Creek, since they've been around for years.

They also might might take your old one and fix it or make one with the old one as a pattern.
Unless they already have made replacement ones.

The Thermarest tent end was unique and had some positive features.
But issues with water drainage and their infamous futon-style mattresses doomed the Thermarest and left the Kodiak/Cub hybrids with bad rep.
That brand hasn't been the same since.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard good things about Sunbrella material, FWIW.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look up canvas shop in your area. They can you the old one as a pattern to make a new one. Enjoy

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. As previously suggested try Bear Creek Canvas or a marine upolstrey shop.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had some tent material problems here with my regular three room ground tent and was able to get it all resolved with a local boat fabric repair place...

I'm pretty sure if you can take it to them then can repair such things...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
look up bear creek canvas