Did you mean: 

new batteries for trailer

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
well, I need new batteries.
they are tired.

The question is, I am going camping this weekend.

Can I upgrade to AGM batteries now,
and then after this trip look into whether I need to update charger/inverter to something better for charging them ?

We tend to boondock about 50% of time, and tha tis what this first trip will be. so I expect to run the generator a bit.
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.
25 REPLIES 25

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
DesertTracker wrote:
... and was expecting to upgrade to two Costco 6V batteries, but is this the correct convertor for 6V batteries?

Of course, as you won't be charging those 6 volt jugs individually but rather connected in series so they're the equivalent of a single 12 volt jug.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DesertTracker wrote:
but is this the correct convertor for 6V batteries? Thanks for any help.

Yes, likely fine.

Two 6's in series makes......one LARGE 12.....so any charger with a large capacity should be OK.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
DesertTracker wrote:
At the risk of hi-jacking the OPs thread, I have a related question: I just bought a Progressive dynamics Wildcat 4655L that has a 4 stage charger (14.4, 13.6, 13.2, 14.4 desulfation), and was expecting to upgrade to two Costco 6V batteries, but is this the correct convertor for 6V batteries? Thanks for any help.

It seems like desulfation would be higher. I have a PD 4655 which goes to 14.4 but if doing it again I'd get one that does 14.8. My solar is adjustable and I have an adjustable power supply so it's no big deal but if doing it again.

I have six Sam's club gc2 and always do 14.8 on solar. If you ever go to Trojan they say 14.8 daily charge.

DesertTracker
Explorer
Explorer
At the risk of hi-jacking the OPs thread, I have a related question: I just bought a Progressive dynamics Wildcat 4655L that has a 4 stage charger (14.4, 13.6, 13.2, 14.4 desulfation), and was expecting to upgrade to two Costco 6V batteries, but is this the correct convertor for 6V batteries? Thanks for any help.
2011 Keystone Springdale 189
2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 V10 4.10

GreysonY
Explorer
Explorer
Trucks run from 3 to 4 - 12 volt batteries in parallel. (Like having one giant 12 volt battery) They use a series/parallel switch to connect 24 volts to the starter for starting only. (Puts 2 batteries in series to make 24 volts so that the starter can spin over a 2000 lb plus very high compression diesel engine, but only when in the "start" position. ) Everything else in the truck is 12 volts. inverterreview.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just make sure to charge the batteries fully when you return home.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bbaley wrote:
I am going camping this weekend.

and then after this trip look into whether I need to update charger/inverter to something better for charging them ?

Arguably the majority of owners here on the forum are running a WFCO converter in their trailer and probably none can honestly report that their WFCO ever delivers a proper 14.4 volt bulk charge to their battery (or batteries), ever. Instead the most we usually see is ~ 13.7 volts which is nowhere near acceptable for proper recharging of a deep cycle battery. One weekend certainly isn't going to kill your new AGMs but you would want to budget for replacing your converter that will in fact deliver a 14.4 volt bulk charge to the batteries. One exception to this I can think of are Trojan batteries which are spec'd by the manufacturer to require a 14.8 volt bulk charge which most converters are just not capable of. Progressive Dynamics does offer a model which is capable of this bulk charging voltage and would be a good match for a new set of Trojan batteries, flooded or AGM.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bbaley wrote:

YES.

And while checking out your converter/charger is probably a good idea, in 99% of the most common applications, an AGM is a "drop in" replacement for a wet cell battery......with NO modifications.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get the batteries, and a charger that puts out the right power to charge them ,run the charger off the gen set.

bbaley
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
You can do that. You would need to check the mnfg specs but often times an agm will want a Max voltage of 14.4. A wet cell like a Trojan will need 14.8 volts.

Often times a oem converter will only put out 13.6 v so upgrading to something like a progressive dynamics may work well. I wouldn't buy an wfco.

You could have very long generator run time with only 13.6 vs 14.4. when the battery is charged it will cut back to about 13.2

just trying not to buy batteries twice, wanting to upgrade, but also wanting to go this weekend...
Our Equipment:
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Outdoorsman Pkg Cummmins 6.7
2016 Keystone Cougar 26rbiwe
2012 model golden retriever
2007 model Chiweenie
Scott/Sage Fly Rods (3wt thru 8wt)
Newer than antique models navigator and driver.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You can do that. You would need to check the mnfg specs but often times an agm will want a Max voltage of 14.4. A wet cell like a Trojan will need 14.8 volts.

Often times a oem converter will only put out 13.6 v so upgrading to something like a progressive dynamics may work well. I wouldn't buy an wfco.

You could have very long generator run time with only 13.6 vs 14.4. when the battery is charged it will cut back to about 13.2