Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ford F-250 Lariat

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone
I’m in the process of buying/ordering a new F250 Turbo Diesel Lariat Crew Cab. It will primarily be used for towing our 30 ft., 8K lbs 5th whl. The 8K figure is scale weight as it rolls down the road with a 10K gross, 1900 lb pin wt. Occasionally I have to do this alone which I find challenging, particularly the backing up. I am seeking the best possible combination of features to tow with. I am trying to contain costs (what a joke at Ford) as the base price explodes as you add towing features. My current ideas include:

Tow Technology Bundle
Blind Spot Information System
Adaptive Steering
Adaptive Cruise Control
5th Wheel Package
Rear CHMSL Camera
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
Customer Placed Camera System
Lariat Ultimate Package
Spray in bed Liner (order or Aftermarket?)
Power running Boards (my wife is short)

Chrome package???
Suggestions and Comments are Welcomed
Regards and Thanks
Bill
2K8 Chevy LTZ Turbo Diesel 4x4
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider
Honda EU2000's to power the toys
Garmin GPS's/Android Pixel 2XL -WAZE
"And were still wandering..."
34 REPLIES 34

Artsville
Explorer
Explorer
Yes 250/350. Same size. Larger payload w 350.

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely go to the F-350. If you don't have a problem with hips I would do a dually. By doing the dually further down the road you can go heavier with your fiver. You will want a bigger fiver eventually we all do whether we admit it or not. I don't care for the power running boards I have the chrome pkg on mine. My wife is short too and she can use them just fine.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Tyler0215 wrote:
Skip the cameras and the adaptive steering and cruise control and drive your own truck.
What the heck is a tow technology bundle?
I bet the salesman LOVES the way you are containing costs.

Tow Technology Bundle
• Adaptive Steering
• Lane-Keeping Alert
• Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
• Rear CHMSL Camera
• Display in center stack screen. Includes LED Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) with cargo light and rear video camera.
Includes 360 degree camera system and trailer reverse guidance. Display appears in center-stack screen

I knew this was going to be an expensive experience going in. Were not newbies and this is not our first rodeo. I first encountered this technology at Consumers Electronics in Vegas several years ago. I do resent the way ford has bundled it to extract the maximum revenue to get it. All this other bling is not necessary, and in some cases redundant. But it is what it is.
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Artsville wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Any gas or diesel SRW HD truck would be a great match for that small of a fifth wheel. Pick your poison and go camping.

If you're trying to contain cost you could skip the high trim and most of the extra goodies on your list. My preference is to put money towards performance items and skip most of the fluff. I would spring for diesel, 4wd, spray in liner and enough options to get some basic comfort features like AC, bluetuth hands-free, keyless, etc. Drop from the Lariat down to an XL or XLT (or equivalent if GM/Ram).

I just went through this. I got rid of all the extras. I dropped to XLT trim. I have 2 cameras for tailgate and the cab. I have the locker only cause it was on the truck. It also had the 10000lb rating and truck camper package. I went 6.7 diesel. I love this truck. All the other stuff is for drivers that are not driving. The new fords are also so sick looking. Yes. It cost a penny or two. I agree with IdaD.

Art

You raise an interest point that I hadn't considered. My focus has been to keep the truck as small as possible, and as safe as possible. Our current truck has an extended cab (small back seat) that feels huge. We wanted another "super cab" with all the safety features we listed. However the ford ordering maze initially conceals the facts that you have to order a crew cab and the Lariat with the ultimate package in order to get the adaptive cruise control. This pumps the cost over $4K. But Ford is essentially the only game in town right now if you want adaptive cruise control. There is little in the Ultimate package that we want. We won't and haven't used what equivalents we have now. The upgrade to a 350 we hadn’t considered. We don’t want a dully but one with just the two rear wheels, if it’s the same physical dimensions and ride is a definitely worth consideration.now.
Is this the case?
Regards
Bill
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
rjstractor wrote:
I'd order an F350, there's minimal difference in price and a significant increase in payload numbers. A 250 can likely handle a small, light trailer such as yours without exceeding any numbers, but for hardly any more money you'd have the ability to get a significantly bigger trailer without worrying about exceeding specs.

Ditto on this, get the F350
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BillandCarole
Explorer
Explorer
Iraqvet05 wrote:
Gas or diesel? I'm not sure what gear ratio is offered in the diesel but if you are ordering a gasser, get the 4:30 gear.

Diesel
Cats Vino, and "Stubby"
Transfer Flow Tank
2017 Fox Mountain 235RLS
Reese 16K Slider

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
I will say the adaptive cruise is one of the best features you can have on a truck towing in my opinion. It is truly a game changer the way Ford has implemented it. The 360 degree camera is a must as well. The Adaptive Cruise is Lariat only though.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Skip the cameras and the adaptive steering and cruise control and drive your own truck.
What the heck is a tow technology bundle?
I bet the salesman LOVES the way you are containing costs.

Artsville
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Any gas or diesel SRW HD truck would be a great match for that small of a fifth wheel. Pick your poison and go camping.

If you're trying to contain cost you could skip the high trim and most of the extra goodies on your list. My preference is to put money towards performance items and skip most of the fluff. I would spring for diesel, 4wd, spray in liner and enough options to get some basic comfort features like AC, bluetuth hands-free, keyless, etc. Drop from the Lariat down to an XL or XLT (or equivalent if GM/Ram).

I just went through this. I got rid of all the extras. I dropped to XLT trim. I have 2 cameras for tailgate and the cab. I have the locker only cause it was on the truck. It also had the 10000lb rating and truck camper package. I went 6.7 diesel. I love this truck. All the other stuff is for drivers that are not driving. The new fords are also so sick looking. Yes. It cost a penny or two. I agree with IdaD.

Art

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
If you are going with an F250, at the very least get the camper package with a better suspension and stabilizer bar . The base F250 springs sag a lot when loaded.

You don't really need a 1 ton to tow a fifth wheel, but if you do go to an F350, check the GAWR because some have the same ratings as the F250 as I ponted out here.....(LINK)

Shiner is exactly right and I won’t argue his point as it’s well founded in the link.
But when buying new, why get a package on an F-250 that essentially makes it an
F-350 when you can just get the 350? The only exception I can see to this is if the truck is located in an area where 1 ton registrations would be an issue. Which is exactly why that package exists in the first place.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going with an F250, at the very least get the camper package with a better suspension and stabilizer bar . The base F250 springs sag a lot when loaded.

You don't really need a 1 ton to tow a fifth wheel, but if you do go to an F350, check the GAWR because some have the same ratings as the F250 as I ponted out here.....(LINK)
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with IdaD and Maury 82.
Based off your list, you are hardly trying to contain costs. First, with any fifth wheel, go 1 ton. Probably less than $1200 difference. Next, check out the XLT's optioned out. And the chrome pakage is just way to much bling IMO. But with that said, it's your truck and choice. None of those camera's will take the place of good old fashioned practice and situational awareness. They just will give you a false sense of security and more things to quit working down the road.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've been specing out a Ford and I'd skip the BLIS, Customer placed camera and Ford's own bedliner. I'd skip the chrome package too. All the other options I like.

Get an aftermarket bed liner. It will be thicker and adhere better than Fords.

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
BillandCarole wrote:
Hi Everyone
I’m in the process of buying/ordering a new F250 Lariat Crew Cab. It will primarily be used for towing our 30 ft., 8K lbs 5th whl. The 8K figure is scale weight as it rolls down the road. Occasionally I have to do this alone which I find challenging, particularly the backing up. I am seeking the best possible combination of features to tow with. I am trying to contain costs (what a joke at Ford) as the base price explodes as you add towing features. My current ideas

Tow Technology Bundle
Blind Spot Information System
Adaptive Steering
Adaptive Cruise Control
5th Wheel Package
Rear CHMSL Camera
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System
Customer Placed Camera System
Lariat Ultimate Package
Spray in bed Liner (order or Aftermarket?)
Power running Boards (my wife is short)

Chrome package???
Suggestions and Comments are Welcomed
Regards and Thanks
Bill

Lol @ trying to contain costs while trying to buy a luxury truck, and then adding frivolous luxury features.

I do understand why Ford nickel and dime buyer with every little thing, because buyers actually think they have to have these frivolous features.

I'd pick your pockets too...lol.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB